is the damage done??

Options
so i have been doing mfp for 49 days (down 16 lbs) and have been very disciplined but today i have gone over about 200 calories ..i have done my exercise (4 miles) for the day but my net calories should have been 1280 and its more like 1450 :/ my weight has not changed since the 16 of july and today i was just very hungry..what do you think..did i mess up big?? so upset with myself..grrr!

Replies

• AmandaR910
    AmandaR910 Posts: 991
    Options
    Actually going OVER my calories usually breaks a plateau for me. I wouldn't worry about it.
  • babyblake11
    babyblake11 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    dont give up. do some extra exercise to get your net back to your goal or close and you will be more motivated to keep it up!
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    I think you probably helped yourself! See how it shakes out. I think you'll be surprised. :smile:
  • katy4193
    katy4193 Posts: 44
    Options
    Going over by 200 is not a big deal and you are still with in your deficit!! I would not call it a mess up at all, we all have days where we go over, it's all good!!!
  • omid990
    omid990 Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    haha not at all. 200 calories is nothing. you still have a deficit. don't even worry about it. just get back on track tomorrow.

it could even prove to be helpful for you.
  • searbear1980
    searbear1980 Posts: 110
    Options
    No you did not mess everything up. This is a lifestyle change. Plus sometimes going over can help your body rejuvenate
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    Going over by 200 very likely still has you way under your maintenance calories, and is nowhere NEAR enough calories to gain weight, so... no, you didn't blow it at all!
  • Bakins929
    Bakins929 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't sweat it (no pun intended!). As others have said, it could prove to be benifical.
  • jenttifer
    jenttifer Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I agree, 200 calories is no big deal as long as you don't do it every day. Most times when I splurge a little one day I end up breaking a cycle and losing weight again. You probably will be surprised!
  • lockeduprestrictions
    Options
    Not at all! You have to go 3500 calories over you BMR to gain even one pound of fat, and eating a little more might even jump-start your metabolism a little :) One day definitely doesn't mess everything up.
  • bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    you probably need to eat more anyway
  • MrsPike07
    MrsPike07 Posts: 160
    Options
    I agree, I was barely losing for a while and ended up going out of town for the weekend. Needless to say I watched what I ate but didnt count the calories and since then I have been losing 2 or more a week! :) Hoping thats the case for you too!
  • peachNpunkin
    peachNpunkin Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    You should look into increasing your calories. You probably have your body in starvation mode, and you will not lose weight in starvation mode, but you will lose your muscle mass. Increase your calories by about 200 per day and see if that helps you break the plateau. Do that for 2 weeks or so, If you haven't lost weight increase by another 100, and every couple weeks increase by 50 until you start to lose weight again.

The more you are working out, the more fuel your body needs. You should be eating back at least half of your spent calories.
  • jbug100
    jbug100 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Oh gosh! 200 cals...I wouldn't think twice about that! I have had many days where I'm sure I exceeded my allowance by 1000 cals. The challenge is brushing it off ASAP and returning to your plan. Don't throw the baby out with the bath water. Don't fall into the "I've blown it, so why continue" mindset. This is a long term change. You will have many "over" days.
  • bslic
    bslic Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    don't be so hard on yourself. One day like that isn't what got you needing to lose weight....so one day isn't going to end all the progress you've made. Hang in there!
  • beckyinma
    beckyinma Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    You should look into increasing your calories. You probably have your body in starvation mode, and you will not lose weight in starvation mode, but you will lose your muscle mass. Increase your calories by about 200 per day and see if that helps you break the plateau. Do that for 2 weeks or so, If you haven't lost weight increase by another 100, and every couple weeks increase by 50 until you start to lose weight again.

The more you are working out, the more fuel your body needs. You should be eating back at least half of your spent calories.

This!
  • JeremiahStone
    JeremiahStone Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    You should be fine! 200 calories is nothing, plus your still in your calorie deficit. Plus it might just be what your body needs to break through the plateau your on! Stay strong an keep on fighting.
  • mamarazook
    mamarazook Posts: 28
    Options
    thank god!!! so glad to hear this..now i can sleep lol ;) and just so you know my normal calorie intake is 1280 but i eat my exercise calorie back for sure or i would be under 1200 and i know that is a big NO NO =) so glad you all took the time to help me..thanks!!!!!
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind, all calories (both on nutrition labels, and from exercise) are estimates. Just because MFP shows your are over by 200 calories, you may not be. That being said, you might be a little over on days MFP shows as even. There's no real way to be 100% accurate and exact, and a couple hundred calories difference is pretty much a drop in the proverbial bucket anyway.
  • Robscofle
    Options
    Sports coaches often change the training cylce for ther athletes after 6-8 weeks due to the body adapting to the training load (even after training load is increased, there is no increase in performance). This phenomenon also occurs when dieting. When you stop losing weight after several weeks of dieting, your either eating more than what you think (this is the reason for keeping an ACCURATE food diary), as you lose weight you require less calories to keep losing weight, hence the need to increase training duration/intensity OR take a break for a few 1-2 weeks and then start again...

Cheers
    Rob