Starting to run

Options
I'm wondering about running. I use to run quite a bit, but I did most of it on my own. I didn't really do a lot of exercises that I should to help strengthen my muscles I would use for running, nor did I stretch very much. After about a year I injured my ankle (bruised the bone) and as the pounds came on I just gave it up. I'm a little reluctant to start running again, because I'm worried about weak/tight muscles and I'm carrying an extra 90 lb, so I'm worried about the strain on my joints. Is there a "healthy" weight to start running at? For now I've been doing some walking, and the Max trainer, and I was going to start adding in strength training (my core is in dismal shape) and stretching to prepare my body, but when should I start again?

Replies

• dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    How long and far can you walk? If you can walk with ease, starting a running program should not be a problem. This assumes you follow the program of course and don't over do it.

Check out a beginners program like Couch to 5k (C25K).

Good luck.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I second c25k
  • meganpettigrew86
    meganpettigrew86 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    C25k is the best, designed for non runners so won't stress your joints.
    I try to do stretches morning and night, good practice for reducing injuries in general
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I started C25K when I was 60 pounds overweight. My joints are still okay a year later. Just remember to take it slow at first. Oh, and get a good pair of running shoes. :)
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    kbtyson wrote: »
    I'm carrying an extra 90 lb, so I'm worried about the strain on my joints. Is there a "healthy" weight to start running at?

Not necessarily. Read the top sticky post for tips on getting started with running. Also try to have your running form checked by an experienced runner, or at least video yourself on a treadmill. Sloppy running form is very common with overweight folks. :+1:
  • amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    C25k app by zenlabs and then be nice to you. Don't worry about speed just time just run even if slow. If you need to redo days. Continue on is key.
    I did c25k and ran my whole 5k and now doing the 10k app and just did 3x15 min runs and well sweaty and tired but doing great on track for my fall 10k
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    C25K is a great program to help you build into running but it is helpful to have a 30-minute walking base before starting.
    Get a good pair of shoes that are fit to your feet and your gait. Take an old pair of sneakers to a running store so they can check the wear patterns of the soles.
    Don't run fast. Keep it very slow. It is possible to run slower than you walk. Speed will come much later.
    Weight doesn't matter if your doctor says that you are healthy enough to run.
    Have fun with it.
    I've never run in my life before trying C25K about 4 years ago. The best advice I got was to slow down my running. It made my runs enjoyable and do-able.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Try to start within 25 lb of goal weight since You have a history & concerns. Just because someone else says they don't have probs after a year doesnt mean it's a good idea for You.. overweight and running not a great combo but you might but probs until much later.
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    Core can be a factor with injuries in running. So I would put some time and effort into that part as well.

My husband got himself injured (twice) , when running long distances. In both cases they were strains to his muscles trying to compensate his bad core/poture. His physio, his sports doc and GP all said the same thing "You have no core muscles that is why you are injured again". Now he is doing Pilates and core routines to stabilise himself better. Until then he is stuck at maximum running distance of 10km.
  • kbtyson
    kbtyson Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the great advice. Along with a really weak core, I have terrible posture. I've had a trainer develop a program to help me with both. I think if I can start with a solid base, it will make running much easier.
  • dreamer12151
    dreamer12151 Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    I started running a few years ago and who knew this girl who avoided anything athletic all her life would find her freedom in running? I had a few rather rough years, including 2 foot surgeries last year (major ortho on the left with repositioning bones & toes & PF release on the right - best decision!) In all that, I lost the joy I had in running, and it became "goals" and "workouts". Now I've backed of myself, taken pressure off myself, and the joy is coming back.

My advice would be listen to your trainer, take it slow, and KEEP IT FUN!
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    kbtyson wrote: »
    Thanks everyone for the great advice. Along with a really weak core, I have terrible posture. I've had a trainer develop a program to help me with both. I think if I can start with a solid base, it will make running much easier.

Posture is very important for running. You have run straight up - no leaning at the waist. Your strides should be short and quick (landing under your body - not way out in front). Your arms should be relaxed - slight bend at the elbow and move freely with your body (not across it). Do these things along with keeping it slow and you can run forever. :smile:
  • Ainadan
    Ainadan Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I'm beginning to run, and by beginning, I mean I've spent the past 3-4 weeks on C25k week 1&2, haha! I'm trying to take it slow so that I don't hurt myself, as I have to walk a lot for work. I've noticed when I go slow, my legs kill me, and when I go "fast" (Not actually fast), my heart kills me. So generally I vacillate between the two.
  • kavahni
    kavahni Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Start running when you feel like you are ready. Allow yourself to run only short distances--even if that means 100 feet--with walking in between . Take it slow. RELIGIOUSLY do the four basic leg stretches (4minutes, so no excuse!) after every walk or run. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=P0Sg1MHhmjY
    Get running shoes from a small, local walking/running store. Spend the money.
    I started running at age 51, with bad knees, and degenerating joints from a lifetime of blue collar work on my feet. That was 6 years ago. I was, and still am, 40 pounds over a good healthy weight. But I now regularly run 5ks nd have finished several halfs. There are women in my running class who are 70 lbs overweight who run faster and with more ease than I do. Comes down to being gentle, listening to your body, and going at it slowly. And having a trainer who advocates for all that (she's the one in the video).
  • Ainadan
    Ainadan Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the video! I looked up running stretches on youtube, but I didn't find a concise video on it.
  • kavahni
    kavahni Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    You're welcome!