Afternoon (get through) snacks

Options
Pepsab
Pepsab Posts: 168 Member
Hey all. What are some good afternoon snacks?

I eat dinner at 6pm with the family but im finding im starving come 430-5pm even if ive had a light snack at 330pm so needing ideas that keep you going that little bit longer.

Thanks!!

Replies

• JustRobby1
    JustRobby1 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I usually keep some bars around for this. I like Nature Valley and Kind the best as far as taste, but they do not have the staying power to hold me over for long. Try "Fit Crunch", as these are my go to. 200 calories or less and they hit my stomach like I swallowed a brick. Many people opt for Quest bars but I have tried these and can't stomach the taste or texture. It's about like chewing on road tar.

You can also try muscle milk. I have found this works wonders for holding me over. They make a 100 calorie variety that comes in 4 pack cartons. I always keep some of these in the fridge.
  • shandy82165
    shandy82165 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Roasted Edamame seeds are good. You get a pretty decent sized serving for 100 cals.

Emerald natural almonds are also good, and you can find them in single serving 100 cal portions. '

Bananas are also very filling, or sometimes just a serving of V-8 will be enough to hold me over.
  • scarlett_k
    scarlett_k Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I find 200g of fresh cherries or strawberries see me through if I'm super hungry. Can often get away with a big cup of tea though
  • busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    Options
    Fresh fruit helps me, and a diet soda with it. :)
  • cairnsmom
    cairnsmom Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Apple and Peanut Butter "sandwich

1 apple (your preferred size and kind. I like small gala apples) Cut in circle slices from stem to bottom. There will
    be no core, which means more apple.
    Peaunut Butter (however much you want. I use 2 tbs total of Jif Whipped) Spread onto apple slices
    Put 2 apple/pb slices together for a "sandwich". Of course, you can have it "open-faced".

Quick, easy, filling.

Or popcorn.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Pepsab wrote: »
    Hey all. What are some good afternoon snacks?

I eat dinner at 6pm with the family but im finding im starving come 430-5pm even if ive had a light snack at 330pm so needing ideas that keep you going that little bit longer.

Thanks!!

If you're starving an hour after you've had a snack, you're probably not eating enough throughout the day in general...but my guess is that you're not actually starving...just bored or eating out of habit.

My afternoon snack is usually these prepackaged nuts and dried fruit with cheese cube things and some jerky...cherries in the summer as well.
  • 04hoopsgal73
    04hoopsgal73 Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    Nuts, one at a time.
  • Stormie956
    Stormie956 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Cucumber slices with lemon and pepper does the trick for me.
  • STC02
    STC02 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Sunflower seeds or half a protein bar, normally Grenade carb killa.
  • rachelm920
    rachelm920 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    You definitely want some protein if you're still hungry. I love the apples & peanut butter cairnsmom suggested above, I usually eat that around 10:30-11 every morning. Bananas and peanut butter are good too, I was having those in the morning as my pre-workout snack. Almond butter is another good protein. I'm going to be switching my workouts to the afternoons after work due to school back in session, so I'm going to be changing my apple/banana PB snack to about 4PM. It's cheaper to buy nuts in bulk than the 100 calorie packs, so read the nutritional value, and see what a serving is. (Typically it's 1/4 cup). I usually measure them out and put them in ziplocs for a single serving of nuts in the afternoon.
  • sdolan91
    sdolan91 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Halo Top ice cream... :smile:
  • bbontheb
    bbontheb Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    I have been eating a pkg of instant peaches and cream oatmeal (130 cals) which seems to help.
  • Kelly81388
    Kelly81388 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    A nutritionist told me that you should have at least 2 of these every time you eat ANYTHING. All 3 for meals, for sure.

Protein
    Fat
    Fiber
  • beaglady
    beaglady Posts: 1,362 Member
    Options
    String cheese is my go to afternoon snack.
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,216 Member
    Options
    Always have a bag of raw almonds in my desk. Usually nom them 3-3:30 and that gets me through to dinner around 7pm. YMMV
  • cs2thecox
    cs2thecox Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I tend to go for high protein yogurt in the afternoon - skyr or quark type things. Sometimes with a small teaspoon of natural nut butter - I don't have enough calories for the tablespoons mentioned above!
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Baked sweet potato or a yogurt with protein powder mixed in
  • Spiderpug
    Spiderpug Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    A hot drink?
  • clayelliott847
    clayelliott847 Posts: 125 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Kar's sweet and salty.

Healthiest thing in the vending machine.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    A giant zucchini already cut up with cottage cheese and a sprinkle of pistachios