How many times a week to work out?

Options
How many times a week do you workout? I have an extremely busy schedule with school and studying and find it hard to have time to work out more than twice a week. I've recently gotten a personal trainer, and I work out with him usually twice a week depending on my exam schedule for school. Aside from that, I try to walk my dog about a mile or so a few times a week as well. He's opening a gym down the road from my house in a few weeks so it will be more convenient for me to work out once that is up and running. My goal is to lose about a pound a week, and I've been pretty close to this for the first 3 weeks, but I don't want this to plateau too soon as my goal is to lose about 40 pounds total. I've been eating pretty healthy and staying under my calorie goals using myfitnesspal as well.
So, with all that being said, how many times a week do you all work out??

Replies

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Right now... 4x per week lifting, then some yoga and cardio thrown in. In the past I have done as little as two lifting sessions per week in a deficit (and nothing else besides walking) and 6x per week lifting while I was bulking (again no cardio).
  • Smamfa
    Smamfa Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Currently pregnant so I try and do 4-5 workouts. 2xyoga plus a mix of cardio and weights. Before I fell pregnant I was working out 6 times a week, a mix of cardio and weights. Usually I follow a beachbody programme like hammer and chisel, or one of The P90 series
  • thechiopodist
    thechiopodist Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I walk my dog every day, sometimes twice. I try to walk quickly,(depending on the sniffs!) and turn on map my walk to record the workout. If you can walk the kids to school, even part way, then power walk back, this can be a workout. ☺
  • jdlobb
    jdlobb Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    Weight training 3-5 days depending on my workout plan for the week. Go for at least a 30minute walk 5-7 days a week.
  • FutureDVM2020
    FutureDVM2020 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I am going to try to start getting up early and taking the dog for a walk at least 4 mornings out of the week. It's hard when I sometimes have to stay up till 12 or 1 am studying. But I'm going to try for it!
  • Okiludy
    Okiludy Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    *kitten* kicking training sessions 4-5, active recover walks or light days 1-2. Lately I only do 1 day of sit on my *kitten* rest days during the week.

I hate non- training days now and avoid them unless body really needs to recover.
  • mabearof6
    mabearof6 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    I try and do something everyday, but listen to my body. If it is telling me to take a rest day I do.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Every day. 4x lifting, 2x recovery cycling and minor event training, 1x full sport specific (strongman) session.

ETA: I misread the title. This is what I do. I hate sitting still.

My advice would be to do the most that you can properly recover from. I don't mean "not sore", I mean you're not making yourself legitimately worse with training volume. It takes quite a lot for most people.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    5, powerlifting training. But what are your goals?
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    Options
    I work out pretty much every day, usually 2 x daily, my typical week looks like:

Mon AM Swim PM Bike
    Tue AM Run PM Strength
    Wed AM Swim PM Bike
    Thu AM Run PM Strength
    Fri AM Swim PM Bike
    Sat Brick (Run & bike)
    Sun Long run day

Once race season is over I maintain pretty much the same schedule but the total training volume tends to be quite a bit lower.

But my schedule also reflects the fact that both my kids are college age now (no way I could have done this while they were both active in sports & school stuff) and that my goal, eventually, is to run a full iron distance triathlon (even though I'm having way too much fun with Olympic distance ones right now..and still haven't wrapped my brain around the training volume for the longer distances)
  • rolenthegreat
    rolenthegreat Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Usually I hit the gym 4-5 times a week, I take classes specifically so I HAVE to be there at a certain time or I would never go. It took me a while to work up to that routine. Lately I've been really busy, planning a wedding, working late & such. So I've only been making it in on Sat & Sun.
  • jyarring
    jyarring Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Usually everyday -- do Orange Theory classes 4-5 times a week and the other two or so days -- do kickboxing or HIIT class at my work gym. I like the structure of the classes and that I'm done in an hour!
  • gorham04
    gorham04 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I do 5 time a week, Monday-Friday (giving myself Saturday and Sunday to relax). I understand your struggle with school and work etc, I am a full-time Law Student and work a full-time job, So time is definitely running short these days to add "extras".

I look at it like this, exercise is a necessity. I feel good when I set aside an hour a day to go for a run or do some cardio. I schedule it into my day, just like I do study time or class (even though sometimes it falls at 9pm). :smile:

• mlrtri
    mlrtri Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    I decided to come up with a schedule I know I can keep. I wish I could be more aggressive but this is what I can do right now. I go to the gym 2 days a week and work out at home 1 day. Then I try to take walks/hikes with my kids and dog or play active games with the kids. I have an elliptical and will get on that a time or 2 during the week. I needed to set myself up for success.
  • Spartan_Gingi
    Spartan_Gingi Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I work 50-60 hrs a week, and squeeze in near-daily 3-7 mile runs. I always feel much more accomplished when I get my run in before work. Helps that I got a treadmill, so even if I have a sick kid or something, I can still squeeze in a few miles.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    When I'm training for a marathon, I run 5 days a week and cross-train 1 day a week.

When I'm not training for a marathon, I run 6 days a week and cross-train 1 day a week.
  • navygrrl
    navygrrl Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I feel like a wuss after reading these posts, lol. I run 3 times a week. I'm on my feet all day at my full-time job, and walk a lot at campus where I'm in school full-time. I strength train twice a week, or at least attempt it.