I am so flippin' hungry! (Warning: Long)

Options
Hi all,

I have been here for about a month, been on a diet for five weeks now (more or less). It all started when I stepped on the scale at the doctor's office and it said "211." I broke down crying and my doctor said, "You need to lose the weight or you're going to have a heart attack."

I've been rapidly gaining over the last year, but I'd already been slowly gaining throughout the years to the higher 170s. And I thought that was the end of my life. I'm 5' 3.5" and now 49 yrs. But last year I quit smoking and: woosh, 40 more pounds! Now I have hypertension and am borderline for diabetes. I already have lupus.

As of today, I am 198 (13 lbs less). My intake is 1200 calories, though I can't exercise too much. I've worked my way up to 20 minutes of walking about 4 times a week. (My arthritis is bad and I can't take much more than that... yet.)

In the meantime, between "meals," I am starving. I'm so flippin' hungry! And I ruin a ton of my daily calorie intake because I put French vanilla creamer in my 2 cups of coffee every morning - the one thing I don't want to give up. I won't! I have given up EVERYTHING else. All the joy in my life is pretty much gone. Must I also remove the one vice I have left?

Only real smokers will understand how difficult it's been to quit smoking. It has now been well over a year, but I do not consider myself to be done for good; I once quit for 10 years! If something bad enough happened in my life, I could be driven to smoke again, or became so sad I'd go off this diet and eat some cheesecake or a 3 Musketeers bar. I have debilitating depression.

So I'm having hard time to say the least. I have not let any of my friends see me in about a year now. First I was afraid I'd smoke if I went out with them, then after I while, I gained so much weight I was too ashamed to be seen. My profile pic was the last time I went out. It was this past summer. I was 198 pounds in that picture and had to support a friend at a fundraiser. I felt very obligated to make a quick appearance, so I had to go out. As soon as I walked it, POW! Pow, pow pow; old style cameras went off in my face (for practically everyone that walked into the place). The next day the pictures went up on Livewire and all over Facebook. I was mortified. Such is life in Los Angeles.

So I crawled back into my hole of despair. I really have been doing my best ever since.

...but who would read all this? Thanks if you did.

Replies

• notreallychris
    notreallychris Posts: 501 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Food wise, you don't really have to give up anything. You can eat what you'd like, and if you're in a calorie deficit, you'll lose weight. You'll find this much more sustainable if you still eat the foods you enjoy, without cutting anything out.

Congrats on quitting smoking!

How often do you eat during the day? Not that it matters for weight loss, as calories can't tell time. Just wondering how many times during the day you are "flipping hungry".

Try to add more filling foods in your meals.

Good luck to you!

ETA: This may sound strange, but 1200 calories for you may be too restrictive. Are you measuring your intake with a food scale for accuracy?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    How did you come up with a goal of 1,200? How many pounds are you losing per week? If I'm reading correctly, you've lost 13 pounds in the past five weeks? That suggests that you could eat a bit more and still lose weight. Are you logging your workouts and eating back any calories from those?

Your diary is closed, but you might want to double-check that you're getting sufficient protein, fat, and fiber. For many people, these things help them feel fuller. Since you're using "a ton" (not sure how much) of your calories on coffee creamer, this will be even more important because most people wouldn't find that French Vanilla coffee creamer helps them feel fuller (even if it is enjoyable).

• ISweat4This
    ISweat4This Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    You may need to increase your calorie intake. I calculated your TDEE and it's around 1775.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1
  • rayzerwolf
    rayzerwolf Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I have been back on myfitnesspal for 100 days as of today my weight also crept back up on me I was back up to 194 from 160. I have my weight loss set to 1 pound a week I get discouraged that its going so slow but at the same time I get more daily calories witch helps with the hunger. At one time I was on a 1200 a day when I was about the same weight it was so hard. Loading up on vegetables helps, but ditch the creamy dressing. High protein is also good. I also drink a glass or a bottle of water before and after a meal some times during if I have gone out to eat so that I don't over eat. I love to over eat at a few choice places and I found this has helped curb the hunger. Also get to eat the left overs for lunch the next day :)
  • aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    Options
    In all seriousness, great job for joining and for being here for a month!

1,200 is only doable in very few, select cases, usually when you have A LOT to lose. Like, a HUNDRED pounds to lose, or you're very short.

Lower your goal, follow what MFP tells you, and realize that you've already made a LOT of progress. We all fall off the wagon every once In a while, but there's a very supportive community to help you back up.

On another note, have you considered getting some professional help for your depression and anxiety? We can help you with the diet support, but someone with whom you talk face to face may be able to support you through other hurdles in life.
  • dani_1977
    dani_1977 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Congrats on quitting smoking!! That's a fete in its self . I'm going to echo anyone on here and advise that you up you calories. If you have your MFP calculating anything more than 1lb a week. Change it.

You shouldn't feel hungry, this isn't torture. You shouldn't feel like you are being punished. You want this to feel like this is something you are able to maintain. I am 5'9 234 I am allotted 1750, and thats to lose 1lb a week.

I completely understand going in to hermit mode because of your weight. I previously lost 50 lbs and have gained it all back. I really have considered not leaving my house for events before, from the embarrassment.

Keep up your walking it, hopefully soon it will be 25 minutes, then 30.

• aemsley05
    aemsley05 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I did 1200 calories and at first I just focused on the calorie count and nothing else. I had cup-a-soup for lunch every day because it was around 100 calories but (unsurprisingly) not at all filling. I was hungry and at times pretty miserable. 1200 calories is hard and isn't definitely isn't for everyone - don't feel obliged to stick with it just because you want results faster. You'll lose more weight sticking to a higher calorie allowance for longer than giving up because it's too restrictive.

That said, you can find ways to stretch those 1200 calories and not be hungry. Salad and (non-starchy) vegetables are low calorie and you can eat a large quantity for little impact on your calorie goal. I have sugar free jellies for snacks - less than 10 calories but a tasty little sweet treat. Low calorie cereal or snack bars are good too - Fiber One chocolate brownies taste like a total indulgence but are just 89 calories.

You do need to find out what sort of food fills you up so that you can tailor what you're eating and avoid feeling hungry all the time. For me, it's protein and fiber so I plan around those. For others it's fat. Try out different things and see what works for you. Oh, and I highly recommend checking out the low calorie low carb protein cheesecake thread - I've made tons of different variations of it and (cutting it into 8 slices), it comes out 110-150 calories a slice. A perfectly guilt-free indulgent dessert or (in my case) breakfast! You don't have to miss out on all the good stuff just because you're 'dieting' :)
  • clayelliott847
    clayelliott847 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Congratulations for sticking with it a month. I just re read where you said you have Lupus, so I am sure there are some days, you are in so much pain and do not want to get out of bed. I suggest, just like smoking, you make it lifestyle change. Like other other people are suggesting 1200 calories may be too low. I am already diabetic and the doctor put me on a 150 carb diet. I am male 5'6" 140lbs. Just bad genes for me, i have never weighed more 165 lbs.
  • hoffman2300
    hoffman2300 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    First - you're amazing. You've stuck with this for five weeks, lost weight, walk four times a week and reached out to the community here.

I love real cream in my coffee. If a restaurant only has 2% or skim, I won't even order it! I'm also working on 1200 calories a day and I get it - I routinely prioritize cream in my coffee over a snack later in the day. I drink lots of water and that helps me not be stark-raving-lunatic hungry most of the time. I also try to only drink coffee on days that I get out to the gym (and have extra calories to play with). I know it's harder if you can only get out a few times a week.

Definitely consider eating a little more, especially if it means you'll stick with this. And keep posting - there's an amazing community here ready to support you!
  • R_is_for_Rachel
    R_is_for_Rachel Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Hi all,
    Now I have hypertension and am borderline for diabetes. I already have lupus.
    As of today, I am 198 (13 lbs less). .

ditto re the hypertension and pre diabetic

congrats on losing so much so quickly

however, this has to be long term and making yourself miserable will severely affect your ability to keep going

i'm on 1 lb a week loss which means my cals are just under 1500 and it's much better and i'm rarely hungry

consider changes your settings to make life easier and happier, please don't be unhappy
  • texteach66
    texteach66 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    OK, you are already amazing. You've lost 13 lbs in 5 weeks! You quit smoking and you understand how precarious that is for you - great self-awareness. You've got a lot going for you!

I agree with everyone else who says you should consider raising your calorie level. It sounds like you may have set it there because you really want the weight off NOW. Consider that losing it at a slower rate could end up being more sustainable in the end. Filling foods help. Low calorie veggies and make sure you get plenty of protein - it's filling. I'm going to send you a friend request - it's up to you if you accept it. I've lost 105 pounds so far, and it's taken me 20 months. I have 15-20 to go.
  • RenaPink11
    RenaPink11 Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    In order to make it easier to change your lifestyle you can't cut out all that you like. If it's in your calorie budget, eat it.... eat it slowly. Drink lots of water when you're "starving" and then if you are still hungry after 20 mins or so, eat a light snack. I find that oatmeal is good for me in the morning to keep me feeling full. I also plan my snacks. It's like I eat all day long almost! My goal is 1200 calories also, but if I go to 1400, I don't beat myself up. I just lose slower, but I still lose!

And major congrats on quitting smoking!!!! That's HUGE! Take a step back and look at all that you have accomplished instead of what you need to accomplish. Little goals my friend! Hang in there!
  • GlassAngyl
    GlassAngyl Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    1: Bump calories to 1500.
    2: Eat more fat and protein.
    3: If you want to eat more, burn more.
    4: Eat more fat and protein.
    5: Cut out bread, pasta, and rice..and sugar!
    6: Add lots of veggies to your meals. Cook them in butter or olive oil. The extra fat will help keep you satiated.

I couldn't lose at all and was starving on just regular cico. STARVINGGGG. Like, seriously freaking starving. And no matter what I ate.. my stomach could be filled to bursting.. i ..was.. STARVING. Once I cut carbs and ate more fat and protein..OMG, I was full! And not just full..SATIATED.

Seriously.. Some of us need meat.. I love veggies. I wanted to go vegetarian. But for the first time, I'm not hungry and I'm losing fat like crazy.

Eat bacon and eggs in the AM. Have a salad for lunch but add more eggs and some more veggies to fluff it out. Add a high fat low carb dressing. Have a bloody steak for dinner with a baked potato! Butter, sour cream! Chives! Add salad with it! (If you want low carb, trade potato for a squash with all the works)

Snack on seeds. Ones still in the shell do you have to work for it. Have some deviled eggs for a snack.
  • aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    Options
    AND open your diary so that we can suggest changes.
  • SkylerSayys
    SkylerSayys Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    You go girl! Wanna add me as a friend? I'd be more than happy to help with meal plans too. I grew up with my mom being a health nut then after I moved out and started eating junk I quickly gained a lot and am going back slowly again to eating healthy (old habits die hard after all). So... wanna do this journey together?
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,332 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4 & started off at 198 a year ago, I'm 153 now. When I started I didn't start at 1200 cal, it was more close to 1500, after I got close to 40lb loss, it put me at 1290 cal so i adjusted my rate of loss to 1/2 lb/wk. You don't need to start at 1200 cal to lose. I can't live on 1280 cal/day. The walking is great. Don't give up
  • dreadskinny
    dreadskinny Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Holy Sheets! How can I even start to thank everyone? My goodness, thank you all for this overwhelming support. I came back to my computer for a moment and I have so many friends! Wow.

Sorry about the diary thing. I do not always use it because it's a little annoying when I just know the calories in my head I am putting in my piehole. Otherwise, I have to find it in the list that the app has (I may not know how to use the app correctly though) and figure out how to tweak it and stick it in my daily intake. Like right now I am eating a roast that my BF made and we've already figured out the calories from all the prepared ingredients. What I'm eating now is a 490 meal. That's a lot (I think), but I've been waiting all day for it. All I've had is my coffee, a banana and water.

I don't use the diary app everyday. I also don't add my walking everyday either because it adds the free calories for the day and I don't want to count what I burn, I want to subtract them.

Anyway... what else? Oh yeah, I see a therapist once a week for 50 minutes, so I am getting some help. I also see the psychiatrist once a month or two for medication.

The "1200 calories a day" was an order from my GP. If fact he said I should do it for the first six months and I shook his hand.

Is it true that it's better that I've been eating in tinier bites and slower?
  • GlassAngyl
    GlassAngyl Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    The "1200 calories a day" was an order from my GP. If fact he said I should do it for the first six months and I shook his hand.

Is it true that it's better that I've been eating in tinier bites and slower?

First, your GP is a moron. Sorry to say it, but they are. Any GP worth their weight knows that losing quickly is the quickest way to lose muscle, discourage the dieter, and gain it all back within the year. A GOOD DR will tell you to lose slowly and create a lifestyle change. You need a nutritionist, not a c-, community college, GP reject.

Is it true about eating tinier bites slowly? Yes and no. Yes because most ppl do over eat by eating too much too fast not allowing their stomach to register it's full. No in the fact that if you are still eating too little or nutritionally deficient foods, you will still be craving something regardless. Ever actually felt so full you thought you'd throw up, yet still not satisfied? Like you are ravenous but sick all at the same time?
  • HealthyAshes88888
    HealthyAshes88888 Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    I am 5'3.5" as well and started at 206lbs. Still a smoker but am working on quitting that very soon. I am 189lbs now and have been working on this for 52 days. I stick around 1200cal a day too and it seems to be working for me! I'm going to add you, I feel like we have a lot of similarities.