Total calories

Options
Just wanted to know if my daily calories is 1375 and I burn 400-500 cals that day should I eat them back or have a total of 900 calories for the day.?

Replies

• MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    Options
    Eat back some of those calories. You do not want to be under that much. Your body needs at least 1200 just to run.
  • mkm217
    mkm217 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Eat them back! 900 calories a day is dangerous!
  • scarlett_k
    scarlett_k Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Yes eat them back or you will end up feeling awful.
  • bribucks
    bribucks Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    I am assuming you mean 900 NET calories for the day.

Typically I eat back 50-75% of my exercise calories. It is notoriously difficult to be accurate with calories burned, so that gives you a margin of error while still providing extra fuel for the day.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to know if my daily calories is 1375 and I burn 400-500 cals that day should I eat them back or have a total of 900 calories for the day.?

Yes. MFP gives you a calorie goal that already includes the deficit you need to reach your goal, and expects you to log those calories and eat them back. If you didnt, you would lose Weight faster than expected, and over time risk more muscle loss and a better chance of hitting a wall due to undereating.
  • arentol
    arentol Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    There is a specific metabolic impact to consuming less than 1200 calories per day that can screw up your weight loss efforts in the long run. Eating 900 calories a day for too long will definitely cause this metabolic effect. Eating 900 calories a day once in a while will not. So don't freak and eat more just because you are under 1200 one day, just don't make a habit of it.

I am not certain, but I assume that there is a metabolic difference between just eating 900 calories gross per day and eating 1400 gross while burning 500 to net 900. I would guess the latter is less likely to lead to metabolic issues, or at the very least take longer to do so. Probably still a bad idea to do for terribly long no matter what though.

In addition, studies indicate people who track their calories underestimate their daily intake by as much as 40%. This is partly because food makers are allowed to be off on the calories listed on their labels by 20%. It is also because people forget to track things sometimes, and because people underestimate quantities. If you are certain you never forget anything then you are probably only off by 15-20%. So your 1375 calories is probably closer to 1500-1600 most days, which puts you at about 1100-1200 net, which should mostly be okay.

Personally I regularly go at or under my 1500 calorie MFP number, before exercise, and I still don't lose weight as fast as MFP says I should, not even counting my 450-550 calories of running most days. I am pretty sure I am underestimating what I am eating by 200-300 calories per day.
  • Rebnurse1977
    Rebnurse1977 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I have only eaten 1000 cals today (tightly tracked), and Im okay with this. Yesterday however, I ate 1450! It will all balance out at the end of the week!
  • rmgnow
    rmgnow Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    You can eat back ALL your exercise calories if you want to.
    Just be accurate
  • emartinez8107
    emartinez8107 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone. You guys are awesome