Setback and Scales

Options
So I'm still relatively new here (15 day logging) and today was a letdown on the scale. Last week I lost 3 pounds from my 250 but this week gained it back. So this is really bumming me out, more than it should probably. Also, I went on two different scales. The traditional one saying I was back at 250 and the electric one I have, only a couple years old and barely used, says I actually lost up to 241.8 (6 pounds?). I find it highly doubtful though that I lost 6 pounds in a week.

So I'm also very confused on why I'm getting two different readings. But all except saturday (as this was my cheat day and got too smashed to even log it, just I know it was wayyyy over) I don't know what I'm doing wrong. So if possible, if my diary can be viewed I would like some feedback on it.

I'm confused to what scale to go by, I'm staying under my calorie goal for the most part, but yet don't know why I didn't lose any.

Sad face.

Replies

• 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,482 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter which scale you use, just so you use the same one all the time. When you say traditional scale what do you mean. Drs scale? I'd use that. If not I'd go digital and pitch, pitch the other one as 2 scales will drive you nuts.

Good. You seem to have embraced the weekly WI. Same day, same conditions, same scale. Make a chart. Keep putting in the numbers each week.

Keep tracking. Keep going. One scale.
  • Morgaen73
    Morgaen73 Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    Rule #1 - Your scale hates you.
    Rule #2 - Because of that it will lie to you.
  • orangegato
    orangegato Posts: 6,570 Member
    Options
    Just pick one scale. If using the barely used digital one, put in new batteries. Does the digital one give a different reading if you get off and back on several times in a row (allowing it to reset in between)? Then it is not reliable. And remember this: Weight loss is not linear. There are daily fluctuations. Consider weighing on the same scale every day and using Trendweight.com to track the averages. 15 days of logging is not much time to see a real trend.....
  • Moobs92
    Moobs92 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    orangegato wrote: »
    Just pick one scale. If using the barely used digital one, put in new batteries. Does the digital one give a different reading if you get off and back on several times in a row (allowing it to reset in between)? Then it is not reliable. And remember this: Weight loss is not linear. There are daily fluctuations. Consider weighing on the same scale every day and using Trendweight.com to track the averages. 15 days of logging is not much time to see a real trend.....

I just put in new batteries and it doesn't give the same number. It gives me a range of 241-243.8, some of them repeating. So I tested it with a gallon of milk and it gives a consistent 8.4 every time.
  • Moobs92
    Options
    88olds wrote: »
    It doesn't matter which scale you use, just so you use the same one all the time. When you say traditional scale what do you mean. Drs scale? I'd use that. If not I'd go digital and pitch, pitch the other one as 2 scales will drive you nuts.

Good. You seem to have embraced the weekly WI. Same day, same conditions, same scale. Make a chart. Keep putting in the numbers each week.

Keep tracking. Keep going. One scale.

It's a spring loaded scale I believe. Have had it for years but haven't seen a problem with it
  • orangegato
    orangegato Posts: 6,570 Member
    Options
    Moobs92 wrote: »
    orangegato wrote: »

I just put in new batteries and it doesn't give the same number. It gives me a range of 241-243.8, some of them repeating. So I tested it with a gallon of milk and it gives a consistent 8.4 every time.

In my opinion the digital scale range for your weight is not reliable and not acceptable.
  • fruoshea
    fruoshea Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    1. When you say traditional scale do you mean one of these (see images)? If so I would recommend using a digital. Maybe try and weigh something else that you know the weight of (e.g. a 2lbs pack of beef or whatever) on the digital scale and see if it's accurate?
    0b8f8daf-409c-4f87-ae74-bb2be487a5b1_1.6c5911fe762777737b2206f828ca018b.jpeg?odnHeightu003d450u0026odnWidthu003d450u0026odnBgu003dFFFFFF
    AAEAAQAAAAAAAAQfAAAAJGVkZGMwYTg2LWJiZjYtNDY2Yi1hZWZkLTBmMTE4NzhlZjQxYQ.jpg
    2. Did you weigh yourself under the same conditions? Same day, same time, same clothes (if any), same level of food and drink in your system? I can gain or lose over 2lbs just on weighing myself after a full day of eating compared to first thing in the morning - or when I get weighed in the doctor's office and am wearing jeans and a shirt.
    3. Depending on how overweight you are to begin with you could lose 6 lbs in your first/one week. Look at the people in Biggest Loser. Because they sometimes cut more than half of their calorie intake (from what they were used to) they can drop up to 10 lbs (of not more) in the first week. Some of this will be water weight. Some of it might be not having as much food left in your system. Some of it will be the calorie deficit. The more excess weight you carry, the more weight you can lose in the beginning - partly because heavier people have a higher BMR due to more mass and partly because going from eating 3000+ kcal per day to eating 1500 kcal (and exercising) is more of a change than going from eating 2-2500 kcal to 1500 kcal.

It takes 3500 kcal to gain or lose one lb of fat. Some of the weight we gain or lose will be fluctuations.
  • Moobs92
    Options
    fruoshea wrote: »
    1. When you say traditional scale do you mean one of these (see images)? If so I would recommend using a digital. Maybe try and weigh something else that you know the weight of (e.g. a 2lbs pack of beef or whatever) on the digital scale and see if it's accurate?
    0b8f8daf-409c-4f87-ae74-bb2be487a5b1_1.6c5911fe762777737b2206f828ca018b.jpeg?odnHeightu003d450u0026odnWidthu003d450u0026odnBgu003dFFFFFF
    AAEAAQAAAAAAAAQfAAAAJGVkZGMwYTg2LWJiZjYtNDY2Yi1hZWZkLTBmMTE4NzhlZjQxYQ.jpg
    2. Did you weigh yourself under the same conditions? Same day, same time, same clothes (if any), same level of food and drink in your system? I can gain or lose over 2lbs just on weighing myself after a full day of eating compared to first thing in the morning - or when I get weighed in the doctor's office and am wearing jeans and a shirt.
    3. Depending on how overweight you are to begin with you could lose 6 lbs in your first/one week. Look at the people in Biggest Loser. Because they sometimes cut more than half of their calorie intake (from what they were used to) they can drop up to 10 lbs (of not more) in the first week. Some of this will be water weight. Some of it might be not having as much food left in your system. Some of it will be the calorie deficit. The more excess weight you carry, the more weight you can lose in the beginning - partly because heavier people have a higher BMR due to more mass and partly because going from eating 3000+ kcal per day to eating 1500 kcal (and exercising) is more of a change than going from eating 2-2500 kcal to 1500 kcal.

It takes 3500 kcal to gain or lose one lb of fat. Some of the weight we gain or lose will be fluctuations.

It would be the first image. And I understand it fluctuates, and I weigh in weekly with no clothes and after the morning pee.
  • mepeiffer
    mepeiffer Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Scales fluctuate and days and time of day do as well. Don't let it get you down set a different goal than what the scale states. How do you feel??? I weigh daily but just do it for the stats not really where i am today.
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    Get a tape measure and measure your waist, arms, etc. before you lose more weight. That's always a nice non-scale victory (NSV). I've found digital scales to be extremely consistent. I'm only 128 so I care about a couple tenths of a pound here and there. You might need a new one.
  • sbott86
    sbott86 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I find weigh ins frustrating. I lost 10 pounds when i first started work and ive now officially gained everything back :(. Im excerising more then i have in the last 2 years. And i have to learn to be more mentally strong in watching my calories and saying no to treats at work. I love food and its always been a struggle for me. At home isnt so bad, if its not in the house i dont eat it. But the temptation to say yes to everything at work is brutal