Avocado's

Options

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I have had a lot of trouble. I blame ignorance not knowing how to pick fresh. Also, they brown fast after cutting so have the lemon juice handy.

https://www.avocadocentral.com/how-to/how-to-pick-how-to-buy-avocados
  • jroark4441
    jroark4441 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Leaf of lettuce, bacon strip, avocado slice and cheese of choice!
  • donnaturkington
    Options
    my local grocery actually has frozen avocado - cut up in pieces...... and i just throw 1 -3 pieces in to any smoothie i make. Still trying to figure out how much with out changing flavour but it does make smoothie more creamy.
  • AmandaDanceMore
    AmandaDanceMore Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    I have had a lot of trouble. I blame ignorance not knowing how to pick fresh. Also, they brown fast after cutting so have the lemon juice handy.

I have found the best way to keep an unused half as green as possible is to tightly wrap it in plastic wrap with the pit still in it. I can usually get a day out of it like that with little to no brown, and two days if I ok with it being less pretty.

I eat at least half an avocado a day. Currently, I cut it into chunks and use it as salad dressing with a little salsa. Have eaten it every way imaginable. I like to top bean and rice bowls with it.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    Costco sells Wholey Guacamole minis: 100kcal individual guac servings. You can put them in the freezer, then bring to work with your lunch. They thaw just in time. Excellent with a sandwich!
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Cut in half, scoop out a little extra around the seed hole, fill with an egg, bake for 20 minutes. Also good stuffed with crab or tuna salad.

Guacamole: lime juice, garlic salt, jalapeño. Tomato, tomatillo, and cilantro optional.

Eaten out of the shell with a spoon and a little soy sauce.

Stuffed with feta cheese and a little red wine vinaigrette.

They are also great to add to pasta, or to creamy salad dressing.
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    Just today, and yesterday, I took some prepackaged slaw, added some cheese, half an avocado, and dressing and ate it. It's too hot to cook here.
  • dillydaisys
    dillydaisys Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Mashed Avicado and parmesan cheese on crackers
  • dillydaisys
    dillydaisys Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Avocado*
  • BulletProofSkim
    BulletProofSkim Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I love avocado, all the above are good ideas. If you are after a quick snack avocado on rice crackers is fantastic. Bacon, egg and avocado for breakfast. In a salad for lunch or dinner and google avocado chocolate mousse for dessert. Lots of ways to enjoy avocado!
  • _pi3_
    _pi3_ Posts: 2,311 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »

I have found the best way to keep an unused half as green as possible is to tightly wrap it in plastic wrap with the pit still in it. I can usually get a day out of it like that with little to no brown, and two days if I ok with it being less pretty.

I eat at least half an avocado a day. Currently, I cut it into chunks and use it as salad dressing with a little salsa. Have eaten it every way imaginable. I like to top bean and rice bowls with it.

The trick is to keep air away from it I think
  • CindyWard2
    CindyWard2 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    My favorite ways to eat avocado...1/2 an avocado spread on 2 slices of toast with an over easy egg on top...HEAVEN...if you have plenty of calories add a couple slices of bacon between the avocado and egg...OMG!!! I also love to replace mayo with avocado in tuna, egg or chicken salad...holy deliciousness!!!
  • VeronicaA76
    VeronicaA76 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    On just about anything. On sandwiches, salads, as a topping for soups. By themselves.
    9694851 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Ohhhh so many ways to eat this amazing green treat.
    In a smoothie
    A salad
    Bake an egg in it
    Slice it on a sandwich
    Mash it with onions and tomatoes, guacamole which I can eat on anything.
    Spread it like mayo. It's called Natures Mayo!
  • amandacalories
    amandacalories Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Mmmm avocado. Avocado on eggs, on a sandwich, on Mexican food, on a burger, on tuna, on other fish, with Cajun spices, with sugar, guacamole, in tacos, SUSHI...there are too many ways to list.

I have an avocado tree...and it's almost avocado season. I'm getting excited!!
  • _pi3_
    _pi3_ Posts: 2,311 Member
    Options
    filbo132 wrote: »
    I do a chipotle burrito bowl almost every lunch. The avocado makes the recipe amazing, I put it along with romaine salad, rice, corn, beans, chicken, tortilla chips, tomato and a special sauce made from greek yogurt, it's just delicious. This is the recipe if you are curious Chipotle Burrito Bowl

Sounds good thanks for the recipe
  • cs2thecox
    cs2thecox Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Oh, if the profile pic means you're in the UK, do NOT bother with Tesco frozen avocado halves!
    They're so hard they almost broke my blender when I tried to put them in a smoothie, and they go disgusting if you defrost them - can't win! I was so excited when I first found them!

Fresh all the way, but am fully on board with the avo love <3<3
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    Use avocado in place of mayo in tuna salads. Mash avocado with lemon juice, dill, chili flakes, and salt; fill a hollowed-out tomato or two with the mixture. Add slices to sandwiches or toast. Mix with your favorite salsa, lemon or lime juice, garlic, and salt to taste; eat on chips or vegetable sticks. You can do so many delicious things with avocados!