How many times a week to work out?

Options

Replies

• gearhead426hemi
    gearhead426hemi Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    I like to do an actual workout 4-5 times a week. Then I add farm chores or some sort of family adventure hiking, biking or kayaking once or twice a week as well. Any excuse to get outside and get active.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I typically ride 4-5 days per week...Mon, Wed, Fri, Sat, and sometimes Sun and lift 2x per week on Tues and either Fri or Sunday. Try to get to the climbing gym every couple of weeks or so.

My week day rides are typically shorter...about 10 miles which takes me about 35-40 minutes. Saturday is typically my longer ride...usually 20-30 miles and Sunday is often a ride to the gym...round trip it's about 10 miles, but sometimes I just drive...especially if I'm planning on hitting the climbing gym later in the afternoon.

Even being very busy, I don't have much problem carving out 30-45 minutes most days to do some exercise...and weekends are very active.
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    At least 5 days a week.
    High intensity: Running 3x week, Cardio class 1x week, Weights training 1x week. On top of that 5 days a morning routine (yoga/weights) of 30 minutes and usually 3-4x a week I walk to work (100 minutes per day).
    If i have time and energy an additional hike or maybe some cycling.

Al adds up to about 10-12 hours per week. Sounds like a lot (and it is) but that was built up over the last 3.5 years. I started out with just 3x week walking then
  • cqbkaju
    cqbkaju Posts: 1,011 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    At least 5 days a week, sometimes 6.

Weight training at least 3 days, boxing (real boxing, against other fighters...), BJJ, FMA, coaching, et. al.
  • cece1012003
    cece1012003 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I skip rope from 15-30 minutes 2-3 days a week, with recovery workouts as much as I can in between. I could do more if I had more time to do recovery.
  • Penthesilea514
    Penthesilea514 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    4-5 days a week, depending on my schedule. Usually, one of my rest days is "active" recovery and the other is fairly sedentary, but I try to hit my step goals daily.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    Strength train 3x per week. Yoga every morning. Conditioning thrown in here and there, mainly jump rope...
  • MarylandRose
    MarylandRose Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I work out formally 5x week. Three BodyPump (resistance/light strength cardio class) and two Indoor Cycling (there's music but this is definitely not sugar-pop Spin class). I make the time before work MWF to hit a class at 0530, spin/spin/pump. Tuesday night after work is pump, and pump at 0700 Saturday. Thursday and Sunday are sort of rest days; sometimes I really do nothing intentionally physical those days. Because the weather's still hospitable outside, I've been trying to walk outside while I still can. Sunday featured a solid 70 minute walk just in my neighborhood. For week nights, we have a standard 25 minute route "the out and back" that can be squeezed in around dinner, although that's only while there's daylight left.
    I'm hoping to force myself to swap (beginner level) yoga in for walking once it's cold and dark out...wish me luck!
    When I have an unexpected free night (ie this Friday, fiance has to work late), I will typically use that time to, if nothing else, go gazelle on an elliptical for a half hour if I can't fit a class in at the gym. It's been 11 months of this gym routine and I am definitely at the point where I feel better if I move.
    Finding stuff you enjoy helps you 'find' the time (magically!) to make it happen. I love the classes I take, and I found that I then made time to get to the gym for them, whereas I never made time to run because I.hate.running.
  • VeronicaA76
    VeronicaA76 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    Nearly every day. But then some of my workouts include playing sports with my daughter, her friends, and my neices and nephews.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    I schedule for five but usually do six. Since most of my workouts are easy running miles, adhering to a strict rest day schedule isn't terribly critical. The seventh day is purely rest - I don't force any specific attempts at being active.
  • slinke2014
    slinke2014 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    3-4 days a week average but I walk at least 6 miles everyday according to my fitbit too so I always get some exercise in.
  • andysport1
    andysport1 Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Mon AM Swim PM Run club
    Tue AM static bike + yoga class PM Circuits class
    Wed AM Swim PM Run club
    Thu AM Bike PM Body pump
    Fri AM Swim PM MTB or off road run
    Sat Park run
    Sun Long bike PM coached swim
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I work out every day. Videos at home, lifting twice per week at the gym at work. Runs can be subbed in for videos after work, weather permitting. I make my workouts fit my schedule.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    1hr weights followed by 1hr boxing 3 days a week then 2-3 days of light cardio 30-60min and one day of nothing, maybe some yoga at home one day
  • GrumpyHeadmistress
    GrumpyHeadmistress Posts: 666 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    andysport1 wrote: »
    Mon AM Swim PM Run club
    Tue AM static bike + yoga class PM Circuits class
    Wed AM Swim PM Run club
    Thu AM Bike PM Body pump
    Fri AM Swim PM MTB or off road run
    Sat Park run
    Sun Long bike PM coached swim

I'm very similar:-

Mon PM 3km swim
    Tues AM 5km run PM strength with PT
    Wed PM 3km swim
    Thurs AM 5km PM strength with PT
    Fri PM 3km swim
    Sat Parkrun
    Sun AM 3km swim
  • AuthorNinja
    AuthorNinja Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Strength training 3x per week followed by a 20 minute run, then two days a week where I run at higher speeds and for longer. Sunday and Wednesday to rest :)
  • Amberonamission
    Amberonamission Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I strength train every other day in the very early morning with either 10 min on the elliptical or arc trainer. One weekend day is usually leg day (today core instead) and a 45 min go at the cardio.

Was thinking that I would add a Zumba one day a week. I miss dance class
  • MrLuyo318
    MrLuyo318 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    3 days/wk doing weights at the gym. Then the other 4 days of the week, I do 1hr/day on my treadmill at home. But it all depends on how much your body is willing to do, and what your goal is.
  • scvreenen
    scvreenen Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Well done to those who train on a regular basis! I however, started attending the gym a month ago after a 3 month layoff..I have them quite often! Just a quick question to those folk who manage to train more than 3 times a week, how did you manage to train more often,
    and how long did it take you to commit to training so frequently?
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    scvreenen wrote: »
    Well done to those who train on a regular basis! I however, started attending the gym a month ago after a 3 month layoff..I have them quite often! Just a quick question to those folk who manage to train more than 3 times a week, how did you manage to train more often,
    and how long did it take you to commit to training so frequently?

I'm a stay at home Mum with one in school FT and the other in pre-school PT, my strength training days coincide with when the little one is in school. The 3 daytime classes I take are also on the same days. During the holidays I couldn't be sure that I would be able to hit the gym 3x a week and commit to my program so I took a break from heavy lifting and did volume work as and when I could. Depending on their mood, I just took the boys along to the classes (I think it's important that they actually Mummy trying to be healthy). The evening classes I go to after my partner gets in, PT I try to work around pre-school days or I'll have at 6am before everyone gets up. Same with running, I'll get up at 5am to run.

As to how long it took me to get to this point, well I started going to the gym in Jan 16, just 2x week for an hour (which killed me), then everything else just sort of developed over the next 20 months. I'd say I've been at the point I'm at now around 3-4 months ago.