Soup recipes - really low cal ones please

Options
I love soups but I am rubbish at making them. Could you please share some recipes for low cal soups? Veggie ones would help just to get extra fibre. Thanks

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Just put whatever vegetables you have on hand in a pot with some water and seasonings and let it cook until all the vegetables are tender. Add beans, lentils or chia seeds for extra fiber.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Pinterest
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    Just put whatever vegetables you have on hand in a pot with some water and seasonings and let it cook until all the vegetables are tender. Add beans, lentils or chia seeds for extra fiber.

This. Also, if you don't need it to be vegetarian substitute chicken stock for the water. Throw in carrots, celery, and a little diced onion. Add any variety of cabbage, kale, chard, or other leafy greens for bulk. Simmer until tender, season, and eat.
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    I make a really basic soup with vegetable stock (I use store-bought most times, but homemade is worth it if you have the time), diced onion, cubed potatoes, sliced carrots, sliced celery, maybe a little garlic, and a can or two of stewed tomatoes. I literally just throw it all together in a stockpot on the stove and simmer for 45 minutes, or put it all in the pressure cooker on low pressure for 10 minutes.

Sometimes I throw in a can of beans right at the end (otherwise they get too soft), and a few times I've flaked raw salmon and added it right in my bowl (the heat from the soup cooks it immediately).

You can play around with this to lower the calories (reduce or omit the potatoes; swap carrots for cabbage) or add more nutrients (a leafy green like spinach wilted in would be terrific) or even increase the calories (sprinkle in some fresh Parmesan, drizzle in a nice olive oil). It's perfect every time!
  • Heather4448
    Heather4448 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    You are most definitely NOT rubbish at making soup. Throw all the leftovers in a pot. Turn on burner. Done.
  • VeronicaA76
    VeronicaA76 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    Onion, celery, garlic, cabbage, carrots, chicken, lime, cilantro, salt & pepper to taste, water. Low calorie soup.
  • marienaegele
    marienaegele Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I love to make carrot soup (eventhough i normally hate carrots) !

If you boil 235g chopped carrots in 0,5l vegetable broth for about 10-15 minutes and blend it in the end it'll have a nice cremy texture.
    It makes about 2 Plates, with each containing 50 kcal. so 100 kcal in total!
    I like to add some basil as well.

Hope you like it!
  • SLLeask
    SLLeask Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Chop up a load of pumpkin and/or butternut squash, some carrot and onion, chillies if you like them (or any combination of those ingredients or other veggies) throw in some garlic. Roast, add stock and blend. If you want more protein / aren't a vegetarian, add some shredded chicken breast and some Tabasco sauce and it is so good and filling and pretty low calorie as it's just veggies and chicken breast...
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    SLLeask wrote: »
    Chop up a load of pumpkin and/or butternut squash, some carrot and onion, chillies if you like them (or any combination of those ingredients or other veggies) throw in some garlic. Roast, add stock and blend. If you want more protein / aren't a vegetarian, add some shredded chicken breast and some Tabasco sauce and it is so good and filling and pretty low calorie as it's just veggies and chicken breast...

I'm a fan of pre roasting too - it adds great flavour
  • VictoriaTuel
    VictoriaTuel Posts: 1,604 Member
    Options
    Egg drop soup is simple, fast, and gives you some protein which I've found soups can often lack. When I'm feeling lazy, I just boil 1-2 tbsps vegetarian oyster sauce, 1 tsp toasted sesame oil, and the white part of a scallion in water; then I slowly pour in a beaten egg while stirring the soup so it makes ribbons. You can add leafy greens after the egg's cooked and then I top with the green ends of the scallion! You can also add different things to make it more complicated or give it different flavorings, but the simple version is ~130 kcal.

I'm also a fan of just tossing whatever veggies you have in a pot, but my secret to make it flavorful is to add a tbsp of tomato paste. I often saute carrots, onions, celery, zucchini and garlic together (you can really add whatever veggies you want) and then add them to broth and drop the tomato paste in - it's delicious with various spices and parmesan cheese on top makes it even better!
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Any soup is low calorie if you eat smaller portions.
  • Mkneedtogetfit
    Mkneedtogetfit Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    Any soup is low calorie if you eat smaller portions.

If I could control portions, I would not have been fat in the first place lol
  • AnnJey
    AnnJey Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    http://www.eatthis.com/high-protein-soups-abs

All these tend to be ok in calories, as well as high protein.
  • ugofatcat
    ugofatcat Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    http://www.spendwithpennies.com/weight-loss-vegetable-soup-recipe/

I changed up the recipe and added some parsnips and celery but left out the broccoli, carrots, cabbage, green beans and spinach because there wasn't enough room in the pot. I also added a Parmesan rind and took it out after the soup was done simmering. When I calculated the calories, every 4 grams is about 1 calorie.

You can also freeze your soup in a freezer bag. After pouring the soup in the bag, put it on cookie sheets and then in the freezer. This will make the bags flat and easier to store.