Confused about carbs!

Options
Bread = carbs
Fruit = carbs
Help please, which do I choose to keep within my daily carbs allowance.

Thanks in advance

Replies

• ghbtwo
    ghbtwo Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    what are you trying to accomplish? why are you limiting carbs? typically ppl are going to suggest fruit, but honestly if this is about weight loss, then we're talking calorie intake. if you feel the need to limit your carb intake at the same time as managing calories. then i would suggest you eat the carbs that make you feel satisfied the most and keep you happy while you track your progress. good luck!
  • dangerouslady21
    Options
    Hi there ghbtwo, I'm trying to lose 6bs. I attend body pump twice a week and a PT session once a week. Looking to eat 1500 calories a day. Weakness, bread! Which is why I look at fruit. Thanks for your response, means a lot.
  • Holly_981
    Holly_981 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    At the end of the day, carbs are carbs. Your body uses it the same. Depends if you want nutrients or pleasure.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    which one fills you up more? I find potatos and other starchy vegetables/grains keep me satiated longer than fruit or bread

you may need to experiment
  • deannalfisher
    Options
    you do not need to go keto to lose weight - seriously, no! I eat 3-400g carbs a day and have lost 10lbs and now maintaining/recomping
  • SabrinaBrooklyn
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    IamMicah wrote: »
    If you are trying to cut carbs to lose weight then neither bread nor fruit is a good choice. Reducing your carbs is a way to force your body into the state of ketosis in order to burn your existing fat stores. The reduction of carbs in your diet needs to stay in the 30 g or lower area for a period of 2 to 4 days in order to get your body into a state of ketosis. Once that occurs you need to stay in ketosis and not bounce in and out.

Leafy green vegetables, proteins, and fats(butter, cheese, avocados) these are your friends.
    Such a myth. The ONLY thing you need to do to burn excess fat stores is to reduce consume less calories than you burn. Also the body ALWAYS burns fat (especially at rest). Physiology 101. It's so sad that so many people are caught up into believing that low carbs are the only way to "burn fat".

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

I'm intrigued by this. I've always been able to lose weight by simply logging food and exercising, whether I choose to eat McDonalds twice a day or food prep for weeks on end. BUT....I've seen people close to me have absolutely amazing results going Keto. One person I'm very close to has struggled to lose weight and control diabetes for years and has done everything from severe calorie restriction to Atkins to Paleo....and she recently became strict keto...and has lost the 30 lbs that plagued her for the last ten years in two months. My cousin started it four months ago and she's reversed her type 2 diabetes and lost forty pounds. I'm not *quite* willing to cut carbs to 20 per day (what they are doing now) and I can't imagine taking in that much fat; but it seems to be working for some people.
  • deannalfisher
    Options
    it works because most of the food that people consume while in keto are volumetic - lots of volume for few carbs (many of the higher fiber veggies etc). so ultimately they are eating less than they were before

did Keto cause her T2D to be reversed, or was it reversed because she lost 40lbs (my hypothesis is the latter) - I've yet to see any academic journal published analysis that shows Keto reverses T2D (in fact, know several T2D folks who still eat 300g carbs+ a day)...
  • dangerouslady21
    Options
    Thank you all, really great feedback
  • IamMicah
    IamMicah Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    If you are trying to cut carbs to lose weight then neither bread nor fruit is a good choice. Reducing your carbs is a way to force your body into the state of ketosis in order to burn your existing fat stores. The reduction of carbs in your diet needs to stay in the 30 g or lower area for a period of 2 to 4 days in order to get your body into a state of ketosis. Once that occurs you need to stay in ketosis and not bounce in and out.

Leafy green vegetables, proteins, and fats(butter, cheese, avocados) these are your friends.
    Such a myth. The ONLY thing you need to do to burn excess fat stores is to reduce consume less calories than you burn. Also the body ALWAYS burns fat (especially at rest). Physiology 101. It's so sad that so many people are caught up into believing that low carbs are the only way to "burn fat".

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

That's not what I said
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,622 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

That's not what I said
    Here's your quote:

force your body into the state of ketosis in order to burn your existing fat stores.
    You don't need to "force" your body into ketosis to burn existing fat stores. If one basically ate less than they burned, this just happens.
    Why is it that people in other countries who consume carbs well over 100g per day "burn fat" just fine and don't get obese? Because they EAT LESS than the average American does calorie wise.
    You've fallen for the pseudoscience by low carb authors. The reality is that low carb works for weight loss for one main reason............................people are eating less than they used to.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    edited September 2017
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

That's not what I said

The one piece of information that you didnt mention is that while fat oxidation increases due to the amount of fat eaten, so does fat storage.

If you drop carbs, fat oxidation increases and carb oxidation decreases.. the opposite is true as well. But what matters is energy balance. Interestingly, a person typically burns fat at rest and low energetic times.

Op, the best tip is to eat the foods that fill you up the most. And generally that will inckude protein and fibrous foods.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Here's a trick. Pick your protein source first. Then pick your carb. I will pick a fruit OR a veggie OR a starchy carb to go with my meal. At a buffet, half my plate will be leafy greens, light on the dressing.

I end up with a balanced mix of macros and I don't get too hungry.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Have a banana sandwich. Add some peanut butter.