Height to weight Ratio

Options
I'm 5'7. When I started MFP at the end of April I weighed in at 220lbs. I'm currently down to 182.4
My question is, what is a HEALTHY, weight for my height. Because right now, people cringe when I tell them I plan on losing more weight.

Replies

• jhardenbergh
    jhardenbergh Posts: 1,035 Member
    Options
    I am 5'7 and my goal ultimate goal weight is 200 lbs, but that is based on my body fat%. I am currently at 27% based on the calipers and at 200 I will be at 10%, since I have 180 lbs of lean muscle. If I were you I would get a body fat % done, don't get a scale that does it, it's pretty off. My scale had me at 35%.
  • shasslock
    Options
    I find that when people are used to you being a certain size and you get smaller and smaller, they think you are going to an extreme. I am 5'3 and started at 303 pounds. Now I'm at 210 and people keep asking me when I'm going to stop. Helloooooooo, I'm still morbidly obese!
  • Rompa_87
    Rompa_87 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    The lowest healthy weight you can reach at your height is around 124lbs. The ideal weight for someone your height is about 140lbs and the upper end of healthy is around 155lbs. This is based on the body mass indexes of 20, 22.5 and 25.

However, if you are exercising and eating right when you start approaching 155-160lbs focus more on body fat % and less on weight.
  • mandeiko
    mandeiko Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Eh, well I'm a lady, but I'm 5'7, CW 165, shooting for 145. I think around 160 is a good number for your gender and height. You look great now though! Just saying...
  • schobert101
    schobert101 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Go to TOOLS and calculate your BMI. It will give you a goal range for your height. I'm aware of the limitations of using BMI f or very muscular persons but that is a standardized calculation that will give you a range and which you can reference for persons feeling you might be losing too much. With your current stats at your height you are still in the overweight category.
  • ChezInProgress
    Options
    Thanks for all the info. Usually I tell people that I'm not going for physically appealing, but for healthy. And that I'm going to keep losing until I'm at a healthy weight for my height.
  • ChezInProgress
    Options
    Eh, well I'm a lady, but I'm 5'7, CW 165, shooting for 145. I think around 160 is a good number for your gender and height. You look great now though! Just saying...

Thanks ma'am. ;)
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7, and my lean body mass is 160 pounds, so I'm shooting for about 175 pounds, and then build up to about a final of 190.

Your goal really should be based on body fat, and not BMI, as can be shown, if I got down to a "healthy" BMI, I'd have to lose about 20 pounds of muscle. So really, you need to figure out your body fat, and then decide where you want to be. For average health, that would be around 18%, for fit or athletic you'd want to get down into the low teens, 13% or so.
  • Scott613
    Scott613 Posts: 2,317 Member
    Options
    Go off body fat percentage. Not bmi or what the scale says. I'm considered obese on the bmi scale and I'm far from it. Go with what makes you feel and look healthy/happy.