garmin 405cx

Options
I'm a runner and I'm coinsidering getting one. I want to make sure that I can use it only as a heart rate monitor if I want to. (Like if I'm at the gym and doing circuit training and want to know my heart rate, but not distance traveled) Will it be able to do that? I know it will do everything I want it to do for running outside, I just want to make sure it can function as a basic hrm if I want it to.

Replies

• wfrank4
    wfrank4 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    It'll use whatever functions you have available - GPS, foot pod, or HRM. You'll be able to specify what screens and stats it displays as just an HRM, so there is plenty of tailoring possible. I love mine.
  • javaruck
    javaruck Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Yes, I own a 405cx and it will in fact function as just a heart rate monitor. This comes in handy when I use the rowing machine or exercise bike for cross training. In addition, I picked up the Garmin foot pod to measure the distance of my treadmill runs. All in all, I have been very happy with the unit.
  • Krohnie
    Krohnie Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Thanks, Just ordered it!! Got 2 day shipping becasue I've got a 5K race on friday! Can't wait!
  • Flyntiggr
    Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    You can turn the GPS off for indoor use. Immune worked awesome until I ran the Garmin software update. It stopped holding a charge, kept quitting in e middle of workouts, and basically pissed me off. I called Garmin (unit was less than a year old), and was treated pretty bad. Returned it to REI and never looked back....