need motivation

Options
I do great exercising for about three weeks and then fizzle out. I am not over weight but I am out of shape. I need motivation to keep working out and eating healthy. I have not been to the gym for two months now, although I still walk my dog about 2 miles at least four days a week.

Replies

• wonderwomanwannaB
    Options
    I subscribe to SELF magazine, and this month's issue had a quote from one of the readers:
    "I've never regretted going for a run, but I always regret skipping it"
    I wrote this on a couple notecards and taped them up next to places where I get "lazy" (near my bed, the computer, and the TV).
    I used to be REALLY good about workouts and this mentality is definitely helping me :)
    Best wishes and happy workouts!
  • laxdani11
    Options
    I am in the exact same boat you are! I would like to get back into shape. I'm 139 and I would like to be between 125-120. I get started going to the gym everyday and feeling good, then I get busy and miss a day,... soon its a week and I haven't been there in over 3 weeks now. Right now, I'm a full time student and working 2 jobs. So, when I get home at night all I want to do is sleep.There's a challenge that someone started and its from now til Nov 1st. I'm going to try it out. Maybe you should try it too. It's going to be a group thing and everyone will encourage and it'll get competitive i'm sure!
  • almaliora
    Options
    What a great idea! I'm totally gonna steal this one :-)
  • sheffiej34
    Options
    Beautiful retriever - I have Olde English Bulldogges. 2 miles four times a week is great!! You are staying regularly active!

I am similar to you. I do good for a short run - shorter than you - then I don't want to go near the Gazelle or the DVD. Just had a buddy post a "daily goal" to keep us motivated. I exercised today to accomplish my goal. First in a while.

Would love to friend you and help keep you accountable on daily achievements whatever they may be for you and you keep me accountable as well. Perhaps together we'll create a routine that won't be too easy to break.

Janelle
  • deadliftdavie1918
    deadliftdavie1918 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I subscribe to SELF magazine, and this month's issue had a quote from one of the readers:
    "I've never regretted going for a run, but I always regret skipping it"
    I wrote this on a couple notecards and taped them up next to places where I get "lazy" (near my bed, the computer, and the TV).
    I used to be REALLY good about workouts and this mentality is definitely helping me :)
    Best wishes and happy workouts!
    This!

My favorite motivational book is *Run like a Mother* - after reading it I knew I could run and get in shape, no excuses! There were many quotes like that in the book, women whose families told them to go run because they were cranky, women who knew they came back from a workout better mothers for the time they spent doing it.
    My SO says - During the run, you might be hating your life, but when you're done you feel great.
  • kmh1980
    kmh1980 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Any type of competition is always a good thing. Sign up for a 5K or 10K, that way you have something to train for and look forward to. Even better if you have a friend or two to train with.
  • tsunamiswim79
    Options
    Set a goal for yourself! Maybe sign up for a local 5K walk/run or just start timing yourself and try and beat your time every day! Setting small realistic goals is really the key, I believe. I was also in a rut, not working out or caring about what I ate or drank everyday. I have only been at this for a few weeks now and I am starting to see and feel results already! One thing I have always loved to do is swimming laps. I was a swimmer in high school and it was the best shape I have ever been in. Conveniently, there is a challenge here at the local pool to swim a certain cumulative distance and earn a free t-shirt! I love t-shirts, especially free ones, and I miss swimming so much, so I have been getting in there at least 3 or 4 times a week for the last 3 weeks or so! Goals are the key, reasonable ones. Best of luck to you!