Mirena IUCD weight gain/struggle to lose weight

Options
Good morning! I have been a MFP user since 2013 but it's my first time posting today so hopefully this is the correct area..!!

I got my first mirena in June 2008, replaced with a new one July 2013 with no break in between. In Nov 2008 I joined a gym and turned my life around food wise and in nine years I've lost 40kg. The weight loss averages about 4.5kg a year and despite exercising and eating well it's felt like wading through drying cement in flip flops. My eating and exercising time/extremety has not changed and recently over the last 7months I have now gained weight. I log all my food and drink, including the bad things like cocktails etc and show my coach in the gym so he can make sure my macros are in the right direction and he even agrees over a week everything is logged to a pretty good, if not over estimation in regards to calories logged that information isn't readily available for e.g.: pomegranate Martini..!! All my exercise is tracked using a Polar HR monitor as well, so likely to be more accurate than gym machine or MFP estimations.

So I've been reading the posts previously linked to Mirena and weight gain. Seems like the whole time I have had it I've been fighting a very slow battle to lose weight and now it's beating me. I'm booked to get it removed 28th Sept when I get back from holiday. I also have a load of other stuff linked in with Mirena negativity e.g.: low moods, libido that basically hasn't seen the light of day in years, the list goes on. It was only until I was researching Mirena and weight gain etc after my coach suggested it could be a causative factor, that it all seemed to click.

As a scientist I have awareness of hormones and which ones cause insulin resistance and sensitivity. But didn't think a small plastic impregnated device would have such an effect to my body like this?!

So I was wondering a few things:
1- anyone else on here been in a similar situation and had it removed and then gone on to lose weight?
2- if so did you just lose scale weight or actual dress size/s as well
3- what sort of time scale should I be looking at the recovery from mirena removal before feeling "normal again"? I'm aware everyone is different but a rough idea there's light at the end of tunnel would be amazing..!!
4- for people that lost weight after Mirena removal how long was it roughly before you or other people started to notice?
5- any things you can recommend for getting back to normal after Mirena removal in regards to cramps, mood swings etc after the apparent "crash" that they say happens?

Thanks in advance for anyone's experience posted to help with this.

Replies

• tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,136 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Weight gain as a side effect of almost all hormonal contraception is from one of two things - increase appetite or water retention. You cannot gain fat out of thin air, so you're either seeing water weight gains or eating too much. Have you spoken to your doctor regarding your weight gain concerns?

I have the non-hormonal IUD so haven't experience of Mirena, but I did gain weight on the pill, in my case it was from increased appetite.

Whilst a Polar HR is likely to be more accurate than MFP, that still doesn't mean that it's 100% accurate so it may be worth reviewing how many of those calories you are eating back.

Take a look at the below and see if anything sticks out:

53cwvblk2pir.jpg

• Jillth666
    Jillth666 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks very much for the reply. I forgot to mention re the HR calorie burn- on exercise days I eat all my regular calories stated on MFP and the exercise calories used as the deficit. I work out four to five times a week as well. I don't eat back my exercise calories and do Olympic weight lifting and Strongwoman stuff so weighted movements. I should have said but was rushing to get all my information written for my post, I do apologise!
  • StarvingDiva
    StarvingDiva Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    Jillth666 wrote: »
    Good morning! I have been a MFP user since 2013 but it's my first time posting today so hopefully this is the correct area..!!

I got my first mirena in June 2008, replaced with a new one July 2013 with no break in between. In Nov 2008 I joined a gym and turned my life around food wise and in nine years I've lost 40kg. The weight loss averages about 4.5kg a year and despite exercising and eating well it's felt like wading through drying cement in flip flops. My eating and exercising time/extremety has not changed and recently over the last 7months I have now gained weight. I log all my food and drink, including the bad things like cocktails etc and show my coach in the gym so he can make sure my macros are in the right direction and he even agrees over a week everything is logged to a pretty good, if not over estimation in regards to calories logged that information isn't readily available for e.g.: pomegranate Martini..!! All my exercise is tracked using a Polar HR monitor as well, so likely to be more accurate than gym machine or MFP estimations.

So I've been reading the posts previously linked to Mirena and weight gain. Seems like the whole time I have had it I've been fighting a very slow battle to lose weight and now it's beating me. I'm booked to get it removed 28th Sept when I get back from holiday. I also have a load of other stuff linked in with Mirena negativity e.g.: low moods, libido that basically hasn't seen the light of day in years, the list goes on. It was only until I was researching Mirena and weight gain etc after my coach suggested it could be a causative factor, that it all seemed to click.

As a scientist I have awareness of hormones and which ones cause insulin resistance and sensitivity. But didn't think a small plastic impregnated device would have such an effect to my body like this?!

So I was wondering a few things:
    1- anyone else on here been in a similar situation and had it removed and then gone on to lose weight?
    2- if so did you just lose scale weight or actual dress size/s as well
    3- what sort of time scale should I be looking at the recovery from mirena removal before feeling "normal again"? I'm aware everyone is different but a rough idea there's light at the end of tunnel would be amazing..!!
    4- for people that lost weight after Mirena removal how long was it roughly before you or other people started to notice?
    5- any things you can recommend for getting back to normal after Mirena removal in regards to cramps, mood swings etc after the apparent "crash" that they say happens?

Thanks in advance for anyone's experience posted to help with this.

Unfortunately any hormonal bc can cause weight gain, I have had issues with pcos for years, and I actually think the hormonal bcp I was put on only worsen my condition, I actually went on the copper IUD (paragard) due to this because I just didn't want any synthetic hormones being put in me.

• ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    @tinkerbellang83 is correct. Eating more than you burn is the only way to gain weight (specifically fat), then there's water retention which can be caused by lots of things.

Things like hormonal birth control and other meds can cause an increase in appetite prompting you to eat more. But be clear, while medication can make it more difficult to keep to a calorie goal, the weight gain (or difficulty losing weight) comes when you eat more. Period.
  • nlwrfa
    nlwrfa Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I can't do hormonal birth control. It increases my appetite and therefore I eat more which makes me gain. It wasn't like the hormones alone made me fat. I have now the paragaurd... which is the copper since 2009 and coming up on my 10 year time frame where I will replace it with the same. Just remember calories in calories out is the only way you gain weight or lose weight... just depends on which side you place more calories. Hopefully removing it will help you stay the course
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I had a Mirena briefly, and gained weight. I felt like I was first trimester pregnant the whole time.
    I had it removed and ultimately lost the weight.
  • cs2thecox
    cs2thecox Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I'm happily on my second Mirena at the moment...
    Did you have any previous experience with progesterone-only contraception before you went to Mirena? Because that may give you a bit more background into what you're feeling now. (I went through a number of iterations of the combined pill, and at least three types of progesterone only before I got my first Mirena, so I know I don't get the weight gain, low moods or loss of libido from that. But all of those are triggered for me by stress!)

Also, I'd recommend not being super quick to blame the Mirena as weight can fluctuate during your life for a whole ton of reasons, as well as hormones.
    When you say you've gained weight, how much are we talking? A few kilos, or the whole 40 back?
    Is there anything else that has changed in your life around the time the weight started creeping back on?
    To me, it seems a bit odd that it's been ok since 2008 and suddenly isn't ok even though you haven't changed your contraception method.

Sensible question... I'm assuming that as you've lost the weight, you readjusted your calorie goal since a smaller body burns less in general, right?

Another sensible question... You're netting a reasonable amount of calories for slow weight loss, right? If you're roughly my size (just under 5' 6", about 60kg) and lifting weights 3-4 times a week, you may well be looking at a net calorie figure of 1,700 or something.
    I eat 1,900 - 2,000 every day, lift 3 times a week, get about 12,000 steps a day and don't eat anything back because whatever that nets out as (1,700 ish?) seems to be just very slightly under my maintenance.

I'm not saying it isn't caused by the Mirena, and I hope the removal goes ok (I HATE them!), but do make sure you've given due consideration to all the other possible variables as well...
  • Jillth666
    Options
    cs2thecox wrote: »
    Did you have any previous experience with progesterone-only contraception before you went to Mirena? Because that may give you a bit more background into what you're feeling now. (I went through a number of iterations of the combined pill, and at least three types of progesterone only before I got my first Mirena, so I know I don't get the weight gain, low moods or loss of libido from that. But all of those are triggered for me by stress!)

Also, I'd recommend not being super quick to blame the Mirena as weight can fluctuate during your life for a whole ton of reasons, as well as hormones.
    When you say you've gained weight, how much are we talking? A few kilos, or the whole 40 back?
    Is there anything else that has changed in your life around the time the weight started creeping back on?
    To me, it seems a bit odd that it's been ok since 2008 and suddenly isn't ok even though you haven't changed your contraception method.

Sensible question... I'm assuming that as you've lost the weight, you readjusted your calorie goal since a smaller body burns less in general, right?

Another sensible question... You're netting a reasonable amount of calories for slow weight loss, right? If you're roughly my size (just under 5' 6", about 60kg) and lifting weights 3-4 times a week, you may well be looking at a net calorie figure of 1,700 or something.
    I eat 1,900 - 2,000 every day, lift 3 times a week, get about 12,000 steps a day and don't eat anything back because whatever that nets out as (1,700 ish?) seems to be just very slightly under my maintenance.

I'm not saying it isn't caused by the Mirena, and I hope the removal goes ok (I HATE them!), but do make sure you've given due consideration to all the other possible variables as well...

Yes I weigh in at the gym once a week with my coach and then from that is the reset day on MFP beginning of the week and the calories are adjusted, and macros etc. I have gained 10kg back so far and I actually honestly log my calories. Nothing has changed, I'm not overeating as I weigh and measure everything out. Barcodes scanned etc. Yes I have had occasional bad days when I have had a birthday or night out etc but not enough to warrant what you would call the over eating of you were doing it daily and not being honest.

In answer to someone else's question this is my first and only method of birth control and have had it for two lots of five years (obv changing to a new one at the first five year interval). All I know and remember as ten years is a long time, that my energy and libido weren't like this before and various other things.

Someone also mentioned water weight, but I'm not sure how this would be as I'm not obviously bloated in hands, ankles or face where I would be when I have been bloated. So I'm guessing it's non visible. Or it works in a way I'm not too aux fais with.

Thanks for everyone's replies by the way. I appreciate all your time and effort

• tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    Jillth666 wrote: »
    cs2thecox wrote: »

Yes I weigh in at the gym once a week with my coach and then from that is the reset day on MFP beginning of the week and the calories are adjusted, and macros etc. I have gained 10kg back so far and I actually honestly log my calories. Nothing has changed, I'm not overeating as I weigh and measure everything out. Barcodes scanned etc. Yes I have had occasional bad days when I have had a birthday or night out etc but not enough to warrant what you would call the over eating of you were doing it daily and not being honest.

In answer to someone else's question this is my first and only method of birth control and have had it for two lots of five years (obv changing to a new one at the first five year interval). All I know and remember as ten years is a long time, that my energy and libido weren't like this before and various other things.

Someone also mentioned water weight, but I'm not sure how this would be as I'm not obviously bloated in hands, ankles or face where I would be when I have been bloated. So I'm guessing it's non visible. Or it works in a way I'm not too aux fais with.

Thanks for everyone's replies by the way. I appreciate all your time and effort

Barcodes do not necessarily represent the correct entry in the database, so perhaps worth checking your entries too.

I am not too sure I understand your previous comment about using the exercise calories as your deficit (your deficit is already included in your calorie allowance) but not eating them back? Can you clarify.
  • Jillth666
    Options
    Yes of course I can clarify. So for example MFP atm allocates me 1620 calories this week with my weekly adjustment to co incident with gym weigh in. On non exercise days I eat pretty close to this. Checked all week and been ITRO minus 12-5 calories. On exercise days I don't eat back the calories I have burned. So again for example let me use yesterday: allocated 1620 calories, ate 1615, did 344 calories HR monitor. I am aware the MFP uses a deficit but from your first reply I was simply explaining I don't eat my calories back from exercise as you suggested I look at that. Also re the barcodes I do check, in fact I'm bordering on compulsive about this and weighing and adjusting things that are incorrect.

Someone about mentioned the weight has been fine since 2008, but I think you missed the point of my post. I had been losing weight very slowly yes but whilst still adhering to everything and not changing anything or having an increase in appetite my weight has gone up. So I wasn't maintaining I was still trying to lose at that point from last year when it started to creep up.

I'm glad to be getting it taken out of its affecting my libido and my partner and I are going to be trying for a baby, so I mean obv normal libido would be "useful" shall we say for that to happen.
  • JenHuedy
    JenHuedy Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    My experience has been the opposite. I had several Mirena IUDs over the course of about 13 years. I gained weight both before and during Mirena use. I also lost over 65 pounds before having the last one removed. Weight loss actually slowed down for me after having it removed, but that I was also getting fairly close to a normal BMI so a slow in weight loss rate is normal at that point.

How close are you to a healthy BMI? I'm finding that the MFP calorie calculations just don't work well for me now that I am at a normal BMI. I think the variability in individual BMR and activity level combined with the smaller margin of error at lower body weights makes getting the right calorie count too difficult. I have better luck with eating the same every day then adjusting based on the average of my scale readings over the week rather than adjusting based on exercise calories on a day-by-day basis.
  • aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    Options
    I gained a *kitten* ton on Mirena... 40 pounds in 18 months, with the first 30 in 6.

I blamed Mirena. I blamed grad school. I blamed travel.

Then I got my *kitten* in gear. 3 pounds away from having pre-Mirena weight.

I think it's easier to GAIN on Mirena, but I don't think it's harder to lose. Turns out, it just requires dedication and focus. I definitely retain water like nobody's business. I swear, sometimes brushing my teeth adds two pounds of water :wink:

P.S. I still have Mirena in.
  • karahm78
    karahm78 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I'm happily on my third Mirena, have no issues related to weight gain or loss that I attribute to it. I think if they work for you they are wonderful, but if not I'd find something that was a better fit.
  • AllSpiceNice
    AllSpiceNice Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I'm on my second Mirena. Lost 90 lbs several years ago, on Mirena, in my mid 40s. Still maintaining that loss, and longer than any previous loss.

My opinion - no medical training- is that BC in general causes some water weight gain initially and maybe some increase in appetite. But it's all within your control and does not "doom" you to weight gain.