Nervous about gym

Options
I'm looking for advice... I've been at this for a while and have lost 29lbs strictly by eating healthy. I have never worked out and really have never found a kind Of physical activity that I enjoy. However, I now desire to tone up but I don't really know how to start. I called around and found a gym with childcare and that offers a class for newbies to show you how to use the equipment. I want to sign up for the next class but I am so nervous. Will I be laughed at? I don't even know what to wear. I am shy and I'm still overweight but I really need to start some strength training. How do I get over my nervousness? Do people watch other people at the gym? Will I look like a ridiculous fat person?

Replies

• linsey0689
    linsey0689 Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    Hi! I have anxiety myself about things including the gym from time to time. But I just try to remember I'm there to better myself who cares if I look a little silly at time. I haven't ever noticed anyone looking at me that I can recall. I'm obese and I feel fine at the gym. The only time I get anxious is when I see the parking lot is full but once I get over that and get started I'm totally fine. I say just go for it and you will be fine. Bring water and headphones if you like to listen to music :)
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    People don't watch other people at the gym. Even if they did, how would you know what they're thinking? No one will laugh at you in a newbies class or otherwise. They will admire your dedication. Many women are comfortable in stretch capris leggings and a t shirt.
  • aguy0980
    aguy0980 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    You will absolutely NOT look ridiculous. The gym can be intimidating to a lot of people, but keep in mind that everyone is there with the same goal of being more fit. I'm definitely not small and there have been plenty of times when I'm the largest in the class. However, I can honestly say most people are extremely encouraging when I try a class for the first time. You can wear whatever you want. Although I like to dress nicely normally, you will definitely find me in the gym with an old t-shirt (probably ripped :p ) and old sweatpants/leggings. I don't buy those expensive gym clothes. You can do it!!!!! Go for it and take advantage of the childcare and equipment demonstration!!!!! Congratulations on the 29lbs so far :);)
  • lizpax14
    lizpax14 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi Kristen!

First off congratulations on your 29 lb loss, that is awesome!
    Second- what your feeling is totally normal. I get it. I myself just got a week pass to try out the gym in my new town and it was extremely intimidating walking through the door- but I kept telling myself I need to do this for me I don't care what anyone says or looks at me. To my surprise everyone was so busy focusing on their own routine they didn't even look up.
    The staff was super helpful and I got on the treadmill and started interval training. When I got to the run part I got nervous and looked around and still not a single person was looking.
    If I can do it you can too!!!
    Think of it this way, everyone starts somewhere and at least I'm there doing something about it :)

I hope this helps :) feel free to add me :)

Congrats again!!!!
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,217 Member
    Options
    Remember that at some point everyone stepped into the gym for the first time. Most will put on the earbuds and be focused on their workout, I wouldn't worry about people looking at you; so what if they do, you have just as much right to be there as anyone else.

To avoid crowds maybe you can try going during off-peak hours? The campus gym at the college I attended was a little undersized for the student body and would get really crowded during popular times so I would go really late at night or first thing on weekend mornings when many were still asleep or hungover.

Remember there are also other ways to resistance train than going to a traditional gym. Have you considered looking into workout videos you can do at home? You can usually find someone selling weights on Craigslist or even find a body weight or TRX- style workout program that isn't equipment-intensive.

Might try checking out reddit/fitness; their wiki is a good resource; whether you end up at the gym or not, having a program to follow is the way to go.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Fitness/wiki/index
  • luce_de_luce
    luce_de_luce Posts: 41 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I remind myself that I'm not there to look good, I'm there so I look good when I'm everywhere else. Good luck, you'll be great :smiley:
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    If you're not comfortable in stretchy leggings, you can get looser warm up style pants. I find sweats too hot. Also consider a top made of good wicking material not cotton. I get all my workout clothes at Goodwill. They are in good condition and much cheaper than new retail. There usually is an "activewear" section.
  • MrsLannister
    MrsLannister Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I felt the same way when I first started going to the gym, but most people are just doing their thing. Wear whatever is comfortable. I wear leggings and a regular tee shirt most of the time.
  • Agent_Freckles
    Agent_Freckles Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I promise you nobody will be staring at you. Everyone will just be doing their own thing and working out. They will be focusing on themselves.
  • gearhead426hemi
    gearhead426hemi Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about what others are thinking or doing just focus on you. Good job and good luck!!
  • LBoggie77
    LBoggie77 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I can understand where you are coming from. But I can assure with 100% certainty that NO ONE is going to laugh at you. After all, you are all there for the same purpose. You can usually google the different machines at the gym to see how they work. Or you could always ask someone around you for help. In my experience most people at the gym want to help you and want to celebrate your healthy lifestyle. Good luck and congrats on your loss :)
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    Learn to use the machines properly, wipe things down after you use them, don't use the machines as seating when you are not working out, don't dawdle or get in people's way.

Do these things and nobody will notice you at all, much less laugh.

There really is not anything to worry about.
  • melissaulmen
    melissaulmen Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    No one will laugh at you. Everyone is there for there own goals. The only time I have ever laughed was when my mom passed gas in yoga.
    Wear whatever you feel comfortable in.
    How to get over your nervousness? You will have to suck it up and just go. Once you do that, it will be easier the next time!
    I don't think people go to gyms to people watch. If you were on the treadmill next to me, I might throw a smile your way.
    You will not be the only person who is overweight. But you will be like everyone else there who is trying and working hard to obtain your goals.
    You got this, you can do it, and you will learn to love it!!
  • spyro88
    spyro88 Posts: 472 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I felt the same when I first started at the gym, I was quite self conscious (I am overweight too), but honestly, people tend to be more focused on their own workouts than looking at others.

Also, you will most likely see other people at the gym who are overweight and don't have perfect bodies, that's what they are there for, to improve themselves :) I see loads of overweight people at my gym and no one bats an eyelid. People just do their own thing.

You can do it :)
  • cenafan
    cenafan Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I have found two groups of people at the gym. Those that are super supportive and those that are just their to do their thing. I have never experienced any issues at the gym with feeling judged. Go and enjoy! I bet you get hooked.
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I was in the same boat, nervous about starting at a gym in a new town. Then I just decided to go and have someone show me some things, and I took a couple classes. The cool thing about not knowing anyone at the gym is that you can think about how you're basically anonymous for awhile. Nobody cares what you're doing. The people teaching the class will help you out, and you will get more comfortable, for sure.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    People only notice you at the gym if you are being an inconsiderate jerk.
    Otherwise, everyone is just doing their own thing.