Weight Loss vs. Breastfeeding Milk Production

Options
Hi, I'm nursing now, but would like to lose weight. I am almost 6 months in and it seems like the less I eat, the less milk I produce. The more I eat, the more milk I make. But overall, I need to lose weight and nursing doesn't seem to be helping. I mean, I lost the pregnancy weight, but I was 20 pounds overweight to begin with. So breastfeeding helped me lose the initial weight, and now I need to lose extra tail feathers.

I need a good supply of milk, so I can't short change that, but at the same time, I need to lose weight. Does anyone know how to lose weight while nursing, without compromising the milk production?

Replies

• Hollie55
    Hollie55 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I am breastfeeding too. My 4th daughter has just gone 6 months.
    I have 20kgs to lose so I am doing it slowly.

Under my food diary I have added in breastfeeding as a food. It takes off between 500-300 calories. Also I am not trying to lose too much too fast & I find drinking lots of water helps my supply too.
  • lollypops0
    Options
    Make sure you are drinking enough water, that will help increase your production and help ya lose the weight.
  • RachelT14
    RachelT14 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I always found making sure i had oats in my diet helped boost my milk supply. I also made sure i took plenty of long walks with baby, either wearing them or in a buggy. The weight will come of it will just be slower , good luck
  • firedrgn2000
    Options
    I had the same problem while I was nursing, and for myself personally, I put off trying to lose weight until I was done nursing. While trying to lose weight and nurse, I wanted to eat all the time. I just quit nursing back in May (my daughter's 18 months now) and it's slowly coming off.

How young is your child? I was told by my doctor, that I could do the calorie counting while my daughter was younger (newborn-1 year), but to keep the exercise light, as your body when it burns fat releases toxins into your bloodstream that do get into your milk.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    While nursing you need to make sure you are getting plenty of nutrients. I found with both my kids I just ate very healthy foods and waited to try to lose the weight until they were down to only a few feeding a day.
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    I gained 65lbs because of pregnancy and lost 80lbs with the help of breastfeeding. You really dont need to diet, make healthy food choices like dairy and fresh veggies and fruits and move you butt more! It will fall off of you. eat the amount you need to maintain your weight, breasfeeding will burn 500 calories and exercise will help with the rest.
  • kobunski
    kobunski Posts: 18
    Options
    I've breast fed 3 kids and it was usually after 6 months that the breast feeding started doing incredible things for my body. Keep up the great and incredible work!!!
  • gila24
    gila24 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I'm breastfeeding too, and I read on www.kellymom.com that so long as you don't go below 1500 cal u should be fine, but obviously you have to judge for yourself. Make sure you are drinking enough - that helps milk production