Fashion Advice needed for the portly older crowd

beingmore1
beingmore1 Posts: 3,131 Member
I sadly am going to be needing glasses. 100 years ago when I wore glasses last, the round wire rimmed Harry Potter type glasses were all the rage. Lately I've noticed that those smallish rectangular Geordi Lafarge glasses seem to be pretty popular as well as the Sally J. Rapheal giant nerd glasses. My question is this....what in the hell are older portly ladies supposed to wear? The cute rectangular ones or the cute nerd glasses? I am afraid I will pick the wrong ones and end up a thread topic about "OMG did you see what SHE was wearing?!!"

I'd appreciate your advice.

Replies

• RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    From an expert, the giant colorful nerd glasses. You should see the new ones I am thinking about ordering. I love them!
  • RunHardBeStrong
    beingmore1 wrote: »
    From an expert, the giant colorful nerd glasses. You should see the new ones I am thinking about ordering. I love them!

what about that saying if you were old enough to have been there the first time around don't wear it the second time around? Does that not apply anymore?

That doesn't matter at all. Go for it! As for leggings, I probably shouldn't wear them but I do anyway and if I wear a jacket I wear it zipped. No idea if that is what I should do but I feel more comfortable doing so.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    I'd go with whatever glasses look good on my face. I'd rather think I looked pretty than weird but fashionable. As for leggings, wear them. Always go for leggings. So comfy.
  • Barbonica
    Barbonica Posts: 337 Member
    It is personal choice and what you are comfortable with. For me, i don't like giant glasses, but that is because i don't think they look good on me. Leggings, yes...wear with a loose tunic style top. Perfectly appropriate for a lady of a certain age (for the record, I am 55). Jacket - you can wear open or closed, but if open, you should be able to close it (that is, if you cannot button or zip it, it is too small). Generally speaking, a all people should wear clothes that fit, but not ones that are snug/tight/form fitting (unless you are a 20/30 something hottie out for a night on the town). It can accentuate your curves, but not necessarily hug them. That is my opinion, but that is also based on my personal taste. Good luck, and dont worry too much about what others think. If you are comfortable in your choices, your confidence will shine and make you look great!
  • RunHardBeStrong
    hmmm. What if the glasses end up being as big as my face? Or almost? Is that how they are supposed to look? Like as big as my cheeks.

No, they should not cover your whole face. They have to still be proportionate. Just come see me, I can hook you up.
  • Sunna_W
    Sunna_W Posts: 744 Member
    I have rectangular framed glasses in greenish brown and while they are trendy, I regret them. I really like the barely there delicate look. Probably not great for house cleaning, painting, yard work - but, if I could do it again, that is what I would do. I wear a lot of leggings/ treggings (Hue or whatever eBay is selling) in solid colors; Made By Johnny (MBJ) tunic tops and over sweaters in coordinating solid colors (long enough to cover the girly parts) and very light spot of color scarves to liven up the look. I have been very happy with the purchases and find them to be comfortable and modest. It's like wearing pajamas. If I wear heels, the outfit looks really dressy. In deep winter I wear boots and colorful socks. The outfits are classic and very "euro" looking when you pull them together. Note: MBJ does run small - I was size 14 / 16 and the XXL fit me pretty well.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,423 Member
    I got new glasses not long ago and tried to get something similar to what I had previously but still ended up with darker heavier looking frames. I bought mine in person so tried on several styles.
    Their are eyeglass sites like Warby Parker that let you get several frames to try at home.
    Get what you like that looks good on you.
  • slimgirljo15
    slimgirljo15 Posts: 269,456 Member
    I sadly am going to be needing glasses. 100 years ago when I wore glasses last, the round wire rimmed Harry Potter type glasses were all the rage. Lately I've noticed that those smallish rectangular Geordi Lafarge glasses seem to be pretty popular as well as the Sally J. Rapheal giant nerd glasses. My question is this....what in the hell are older portly ladies supposed to wear? The cute rectangular ones or the cute nerd glasses? I am afraid I will pick the wrong ones and end up a thread topic about "OMG did you see what SHE was wearing?!!"

I'd appreciate your advice.

I see you with a blue wire frames ..sort of rectangularish.. ..
  • Vikka_V
    Vikka_V Posts: 9,563 Member
    I think with your well balanced pretty face you can pull off most styles of glasses.

I recently got new glasses and like wearing them so much I rarely wear contacts right now! Try some on with contacts so you can see what you look like. One thing that sucks about glasses shopping is not being able to see yourself in them without your prescription. Take pictures and go home and think about it. Or hopefully the store can show you what they look like on you! Don't make a snap decision, they are so expensive (I have NO benefits!!).

Leggings are one of my favourite inventions and everyone should experience the comfort!
    Also they are the best look in my opinion for fall with boots and a comfy sweater.
  • yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    Leggings are great--but put some thought into it. The cheap cotton ones show every little bump and imperfection. I think the saying goes something like, "There are three things that never lie--drunk people, small children and leggings." I wear lots of leggings with boots and tunics/long sweaters. At my age, I always look for leggings that are more of a skinny pant vs leggings. They look more polished and don't show my lumps. And for goodness sake, please no LuLaRoe! There are so many women at my job and in my community who are making complete fools of themselves wearing them! (I'm pretty sure this will be a controversial statement, but you asked for honest advice, so I'm giving MY honest opinion).