What's your BMI?

Options
124»

Replies

• Sairzie
    Sairzie Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    29.6. Was very happy to drop from Obese to overweight category a couple of weeks ago.

As a Health professional who provides health checks for the general population I feel that the BMI is a great tool for a purpose. Sorry to state it....but 99% of the people in front of me are not muscular attributing for a higher BMI. without doing my history lessons I'd doubt a very simple tool like BMI was ever designed for fitness professionals/enthusiasts, even for people who have an active knowledge of their weight, ideal weight, calorie needs etc.

There is an increase in obesity amongst the population who probably aren't users on MFP who don't have the knowledge or the resources and I think BMI is a great, simple way of starting someone understanding their body weight.

Sorry....moan about BMI over!
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    kwtilbury wrote: »
    Mine is in the 24-25 range. Where I think the BMI errs is in blanketing all numbers at the higher end of the scale as "obese." A pro bodybuilder will have a BMI that easily surpasses 30. That doesn't make them obese, but I don't think it's a healthy ratio over the long term.

Pro bodybuilders often have health markers right in line with what one would expect from an obese individual. Now, whether this is caused by the weight, or the large doses of gear is another matter.

The fact is, there are very few of those guys who live into their 60s, unless they let the weight fall, which also follows the cessation of AAS use. Both factors tend to increase CVD risk, so it shouldn't come as a shock that, when combined, really bad things result.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    24-25 (UL of normal). Yes- I could stand to lose a little bit more, but don't currently look fat outside a swimsuit.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    24 and change. Mine is bogus. I'm a lanky 6'2" and 185 pounds. Even when my BMI was technically overweight I got accused of looking really thin. Now that I'm in the 'healthy' category, close friends and my SO think I lost a little too much.
  • DananaNanas
    DananaNanas Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    25. I'm THREE pounds away from being "normal." I feel like it's accurate :(
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,011 Member
    Options
    Mine is ~21. It is down from ~34. I think it is pretty accurate for me.
  • ttippie2000
    ttippie2000 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    BMI of 32.3 @23% body fat.
    If my calculations are correct I will have a BMI of 28 at 10% body fat.
    Does that bother me? Not exactly.
    One thing it means is that I'm not going to win a bicycle hill climbing stage race against a 120 lb rider.
    It also means that I can clean and jerk that 120 lb rider about 60 times. /shrug
  • sheepingly
    sheepingly Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I don't trust BMI
  • ramshackles
    ramshackles Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    22 aiming for 18