How much sugar per day ?

Options
I ate 33g sugar today as it shows on my nutrition profile for today! It says my goal is 50 ??? Isnt 50 high ?

Can someone explain those nutrition goals to me because that seems high! I thought we are to eat no more than 25g per day of sugar

Replies

• boredloser
    boredloser Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    @tammystarren Your diary is set to private, so we can't see it.. However my sugar allowance is at 56 g by default apparently, while my carbs I have set to 150 g.

You don't exactly have to try and reach that remember. Maybe try sticking to the macros (which for sugar would be carbs) rather than the micros? Sorry I can't really answer your question better, but someone with more knowledge will maybe come along and do so.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    That's a good answer, as is diannethegeek's.

I'd aim to be in the ballpark of one's calories, to hit or exceed protein, and IF bothering with macros, to be in the ballpark of carbs and fat (but those are variable, so should be chosen based on what works best for you).

The various micro tend to be minimum goals, as is fiber, and sugar is a cap (as is sat fat).

Whether one finds these useful is another question, but obvious there's no need to hit the MFP sugar goal.

It will be higher than the "under 5% of calories" number (which is where the 25 g comes from), as -- as dianne said -- that's added sugar. Personally I think with lots of vegetables, maybe some fruit and dairy, it's easy to be over 25 g, and IMO that's a good thing. The idea that we should always aim for as little sugar as possible when some of the most nutrient dense foods contribute it makes me sad, and it is not what the 25 g recommendation (which again is only about added sugar) is intended to mean.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    My Doctor won't let me have over 24 grams of sugar a day. (I'm not a diabetic) The goal is for losing weight and lowering my high triglycerides.

I think you need to clarify with your doctor on whether this is all sugar, including that found naturally in your fruit, vegetables and dairy or just added sugar. My guess is that latter as you are not diabetic and the 25 grams fits in with the recommended guidelines.
  • nibby10101010
    nibby10101010 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Yes I asked him that. The list he gave me lists the grams of sugar in fruits,vegetables, etc., and I'm to use that as a guideline. I really didn't eat fruit anyway, because of my weightlifting days, so no big loss..
  • tammystarren
    tammystarren Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Intetesting! Thanks for the replies! I will look into those suggestions!
  • nibby10101010
    Options
    I guess those if us with high triglycerides and LDL need to basically eat like a diabetic as sugar and fructose cause levels to go up.
  • tammystarren
    tammystarren Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I guess those if us with high triglycerides and LDL need to basically eat like a diabetic as sugar and fructose cause levels to go up.

I had high trig and LDL and have put it all back to normal limits on weight watchers which is fairly low sugar! Went from 270 to 212 and its normal now! Still have about 60 to go! Its amazing how diet change can reverse these!
  • nibby10101010
    Options
    Thank you for your response! I was on weight watchers, too, but switched back to MFP and low carb because WW encourages fruit, etc. I guess they are good in that you can choose what you put in your mouth! Are you still on WW?
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your response! I was on weight watchers, too, but switched back to MFP and low carb because WW encourages fruit, etc. I guess they are good in that you can choose what you put in your mouth! Are you still on WW?

What's wrong with fruit, etc.?
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    Yes I asked him that. The list he gave me lists the grams of sugar in fruits,vegetables, etc., and I'm to use that as a guideline. I really didn't eat fruit anyway, because of my weightlifting days, so no big loss..

Sounds like your doctor is as clueless about nutrition and weight loss as most others. I'd look for a second opinion from a registered dietician (not a nutritionist).
  • Lois_1989
    Lois_1989 Posts: 6,409 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    In England you can have up to 90g of sugar a day, but only 30g can be 'free-sugars' (refined sugar from sweets, fizzy drink, fruit juice etc) the other 60g can be from fruit, veg and dairy.
  • geneticsteacher
    geneticsteacher Posts: 623 Member
    Options

My LDL and triglycerides fell with weight loss. My HDL rose. I did not limit anything except calories - I regularly eat lots of carbs. I try to reach or exceed protein and fiber goals and do not track sugar at all.