Exogenous Ketones.

Options
Does anyone have experience using them?

Replies

• fjmartini
    fjmartini Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    I think those type just make the pee pee hard.
  • Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    Questionable if they work
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Avoid This Ketogenic Rip-Off

https://www.t-nation.com/diet-fat-loss/avoid-this-ketogenic-rip-off

The Good, Bad, and Ugly

It's not all bad when it comes to exogenous ketones. For anyone with Parkinson's, Alzheimer's, epilepsy, ALS, Huntington's, brain cancer or any other degenerative neurological condition, they might be life-changing.

And for the aerobic athlete, they can provide an additional fuel source outside of dietary carbohydrates and fat – giving the carbed-up competitor the ability to go further before having to refuel, and the fat-adapted competitor the ability to go further before tapping into their personal reserves.

But suggesting individuals already fasting, restricting calories, or cutting carbs will get anything other than a brain buzz is misleading. And to serve up exogenous ketones to an obese, insulin-resistant general population with promises of fat-burning and disease prevention is potentially damaging.

Sure, it might suppress hunger and give a damaged brain a useable fuel source, but what happens when pre-diabetic Pete starts adding ketones to his glucose-rich blood? Or anaerobic Andy continues reloading with the same amount of carbs post-workout even though the liver glycogen he normally burns during his sessions is now suppressed?

Ketones may be a better source of fuel than glucose, and a far better beverage than Fruitopia, but it's a question of whether or not you can spare the extra fuel. Because just like adding sugar to a diet, it's like pressing pause on the fat burning process since the body preferentially burns it for fuel. Adding ketones to the diet does the same thing.

And if you know your science, then what that extra dose of ketones leads to is glycation, oxidation, and conversion to fat for the metabolically deranged majority, and elevated insulin because of excess energy in the bloodstream.
    A Better Approach

Fix your diet and get into actual ketosis if that's your goal. But again, that would require your body to do some actual work.[/b]
  • fjmartini
    Options
    Wetcoaster wrote: »
    Avoid This Ketogenic Rip-Off

https://www.t-nation.com/diet-fat-loss/avoid-this-ketogenic-rip-off

The Good, Bad, and Ugly

It's not all bad when it comes to exogenous ketones. For anyone with Parkinson's, Alzheimer's, epilepsy, ALS, Huntington's, brain cancer or any other degenerative neurological condition, they might be life-changing.

And for the aerobic athlete, they can provide an additional fuel source outside of dietary carbohydrates and fat – giving the carbed-up competitor the ability to go further before having to refuel, and the fat-adapted competitor the ability to go further before tapping into their personal reserves.

But suggesting individuals already fasting, restricting calories, or cutting carbs will get anything other than a brain buzz is misleading. And to serve up exogenous ketones to an obese, insulin-resistant general population with promises of fat-burning and disease prevention is potentially damaging.

Sure, it might suppress hunger and give a damaged brain a useable fuel source, but what happens when pre-diabetic Pete starts adding ketones to his glucose-rich blood? Or anaerobic Andy continues reloading with the same amount of carbs post-workout even though the liver glycogen he normally burns during his sessions is now suppressed?

Ketones may be a better source of fuel than glucose, and a far better beverage than Fruitopia, but it's a question of whether or not you can spare the extra fuel. Because just like adding sugar to a diet, it's like pressing pause on the fat burning process since the body preferentially burns it for fuel. Adding ketones to the diet does the same thing.

And if you know your science, then what that extra dose of ketones leads to is glycation, oxidation, and conversion to fat for the metabolically deranged majority, and elevated insulin because of excess energy in the bloodstream.
    A Better Approach

Fix your diet and get into actual ketosis if that's your goal. But again, that would require your body to do some actual work.[/b]

Ehhhh...I'm doing well on the CKD. I was looking to use them after a carb-up and if I get keto flu symptoms.
  • Catawampous
    Catawampous Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    IMHO it's a money making scam aimed at the Ketogenic folks. It *may* be useful for certain individuals with certain health issues. Other than that, for general folk, I think it's rubbish. And keto flu can easily be avoided by paying attention to your sodium. Much much cheaper option. :)
  • fjmartini
    Options
    Not one person that replied ever used the product. Other than the first response, everyone else just game me their opinions.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    fjmartini wrote: »
    Not one person that replied ever used the product. Other than the first response, everyone else just game me their opinions.
    Does that tell you anything? :D
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    You don't have to try something to know it doesn't work. Much like I don't have to jump off a cliff to know it's a bad idea.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    No experience. I made my own ketones and felt great with those. ;)

I am planning to purchase them for my mother. She worries about cognitive decline and is interested in ketones as an alternative brain fuel, but is not interested in going low enough carb to make enough through diet alone.

I want her to have them because she is planning on lowering her carb intake. Highly processed carbs are her trigger foods so avoiding them may help with her weight and triglycerides. My hope is that if her bosy has alreadier started to become used to ketones for fuel, it will make her transition to lower carb a bit easier for her.

For weight loss? I don't think they do much of anything.

Some believe the appetite suppressing ability of a ketogenic diet may be due in part to ketones. If that is the case, it could make weight loss easier.
  • fjmartini
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

It's used by Navy Seals for extra dive time.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

It's used by Navy Seals for extra dive time.

The most recent reference I can find to that is from the Office of Naval Research in December 2015: https://www.onr.navy.mil/en/Media-Center/Press-Releases/2015/Oxygen-Toxicity-Navy-Divers

It says that preliminary experiments on rats in hyperbaric chambers indicate that it may help with greater resistance to oxygen toxicity, and that human trials had not even been conducted at the time of that writing.

In any case, that's a pretty specific/isolated use case scenario, not sure how it translates to use by the general public for weight loss or general health.

[ETA:] It's also rather telling that when you search for Dr. Dominic D'Agostino by name, the only references that return are on dietdoctor and other keto woo/propaganda sites. Not exactly a ringing endorsement.
  • MacBugg
    MacBugg Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I have been using them kind of randomly... if I've fallen off the keto-wagon my based-on-little research assumption has been that they help me transition back in to "eating right." My 16 year old ADD-ish son (who has an RX for ADD meds but hates the way they make him feel) takes the caffeinated version in the mornings before school and he swears he has great concentration through the first half of his day (when all of his AP, etc., classes occur).
  • KetoZombies
    KetoZombies Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I haven't used them as I won't pay for something I can pee out all on my own