How low is "low carb?"

Options
And does it apply to healthy carbs as well to keep them low too or just bad ones? Has anyone had more success with low carb than with just following the numbers mfp gives? Just wondering since I scrolled through the success stories I noticed a good chunk boast about low carb helped them to lose a lot so it got me thinking.

Replies

• Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Low carb can be classified as anything below 150 grams although keto is 20 grams or under. Some have success with this because a diet high in fats but low in carbs helps with keeping thrm satiated, making it easier to stay within a calorie deficit. Others struggle because they either find it too restrictive or need higher fibre to satiate them. The trick is to find what works best for you. It needs to be something you can stick with for life and something which successfully satisfies your hunger but it will always boil down to the basic science of calories in verses calories out.

Also to keep that low in carbs you are pretty much eliminating all grains,most fruits and many vegetables, especially those grown below the ground.
  • hale03071
    hale03071 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I'd considered a daily target of 50 net carbs (carb grams minus fiber grams) or less low carb. If you are talking about ketogenic diet, which is ultra low carb, that's much lower, in the neighborhood of 20 grams or less total carbs.
    When counting carbs, you count them all, including those that some consider "good" carbs. The purpose behind a low carb diet is that it can make you feel fuller longer eating lower carbs, higher fats and proteins, making you in turn eat less calories because you feel satiated longer. Your blood sugar also doesn't spike as high or as often, helping with hunger. Many also experience better overall health once eating low/lower carb, less brain fog, more energy, reduction in joint pain, etc. There are some that are really successful with low carb diets, I personally find it easier to stick to a low carb diet because I don't have calculate every darn thing I am eating, but I still manage to easily stick to my calorie limit each day naturally because what I am eating keeps me fuller longer.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Eh, "low carb" doesn't really have a definition. I'd say if you focus on lowering your carbs and keep them below 40% that's kind of low carb, others will say under 150 g (which has some support, but if you do 1200 150g is just the standard 50% recommendation). For me around 100 or less, maybe 120 or less, has felt like generally low carb (although I naturally tend to eat that way when cutting calories).

Keto is 50 g (net -- that means without fiber) or less, although for some reason there is a current trend to eat even less and even to reduce non starchy vegetables, which I think is a bad idea for most (most don't eat enough already).

However, the purpose of keto (which honestly probably is not important unless you have certain health issues) is to be in ketosis, and you need to keep non fiber carbs below a certain level to do that, it makes no difference how nutrient dense they are. (Exactly what the level is depends on how active you are, but from my reading generally under 50 g net would be safe, at least if you are not totally sedentary. When I did it I was usually around 35 net, but more like 60 total, since I ate lots of fibrous vegetables.)

As for the benefit, I did not find and do not believe that it causes faster loss, all else equal, beyond the initial fast water drop it causes. What it does do, for many who find it helpful, is make compliance easier by getting rid of hunger or cravings. This may happen at any level of low carb (for me it is the case if I keep carbs around 100 or a bit more and doing keto didn't make things better or worse). Others find they need more carbs to feel satiated and just don't mention that in their success stories, since why would they, they are eating more like is expected when it comes to carbs.

Low carb doesn't matter where the carbs come from (in particular keto wouldn't), in theory, but when I was doing very low carb OF COURSE I made sure my carbs were from the most nutrient sources (non starchy veg), and I tried not to cut those (I already ate a lot). But that had nothing to do with them not counting as carbs, they were just a sensible use of my carbs (non starchy veg are mostly carb but also low carb because they have so few calories, though).

I lost my weight (95 lb in 13 months -- didn't do a success story) not really watching carbs and mostly eating around 40% and focusing on eating a healthful diet with about 30% protein (later 100 g) and lots of vegetables and mostly whole foods (since this is how I like to eat). Once I was in maintenance (in theory I wouldn't mind losing another 5 lbs, but I'm okay at 125), I found it harder to stay on point and that's when I learned that I do tend to naturally eat less and be less interested in food between meals at around 100 g carbs. But that is NOT the case for everyone, and for me it wouldn't have mattered when losing, as I didn't struggle with hunger or cravings or motivation issues then.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Lillymoo01 wrote: »
    Low carb can be classified as anything below 150 grams although keto is 20 grams or under. Some have success with this because a diet high in fats but low in carbs helps with keeping thrm satiated, making it easier to stay within a calorie deficit. Others struggle because they either find it too restrictive or need higher fibre to satiate them. The trick is to find what works best for you. It needs to be something you can stick with for life and something which successfully satisfies your hunger but it will always boil down to the basic science of calories in verses calories out.

Also to keep that low in carbs you are pretty much eliminating all grains,most fruits and many vegetables, especially those grown below the ground.

I was with you and thought your answer was great until the bolded part. I eat low carb, eg usually under 150 grams. Not for weight loss but usually, when I balance my macros the way I want with protein as the priority for muscle sparing, that's what I got left. But I eat all those things. Grains including rice, and wheat, fruits and all the veggies including root veggies. I'd agree with you if your talking keto though. Maybe you were?

OP, it's all about your preference and what you can stick with. Tons of research have proven to metabolic advantage for low carb over any other diet that puts you in a calorie deficit (despite some of the claims sometimes made). So, if you like eating that way and you can stick with it, then you will have success with it.

PS: There are no "good" and "bad" carbs. There are some that are more nutrient dense than others. They all convert to glucose in the body. It's all about context and dose. But low carb applies to all of them.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »

I was with you and thought your answer was great until the bolded part. I eat low carb, eg usually under 150 grams. Not for weight loss but usually, when I balance my macros the way I want with protein as the priority for muscle sparing, that's what I got left. But I eat all those things. Grains including rice, and wheat, fruits and all the veggies including root veggies. I'd agree with you if your talking keto though. Maybe you were?

OP, it's all about your preference and what you can stick with. Tons of research have proven to metabolic advantage for low carb over any other diet that puts you in a calorie deficit (despite some of the claims sometimes made). So, if you like eating that way and you can stick with it, then you will have success with it.

PS: There are no "good" and "bad" carbs. There are some that are more nutrient dense than others. They all convert to glucose in the body. It's all about context and dose. But low carb applies to all of them.

Sorry, I should have said keto instead of low carb. My mistake by not rereading before I posted.
  • mmapags
    Options

Sorry, I should have said keto instead of low carb. My mistake by not rereading before I posted.

Makes sense. :)
  • kimarastreasures
    Options
    I personally cut my carbs. That's the bad carbs. When I was diagnosed w/diabetes by in September of 16, I don't drink any carbonated drinks eat bread etc. I also cut out artificial sugars. My sugar intake is all natural. I lost over 30lbs. So it can help tremendously on weight loss.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    No such thing as "good" or "bad" carbs. Carbs are carbs and they all turn into glucose in the body.

"Low Carb" is a bit of an ambiguous term and there are so many definitions of it. There is also the question as to whether you are counting total carbs or net carbs (carbs minus the subset of fiber).

I consider myself to be eating moderate carbs. I have a daily maximum of 160 total carbs which is 40% of my total calories. I am T2Dm so my doctor's recommendation is that I not go over 180 no matter how many exercise calories I earn in a day. This means on my pool workout days (laps and a class) I eat closer to 20% carbs which I do consider low carb.
  • belleflop
    belleflop Posts: 154 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Low carb generally assumes high fat moderate protein, or some degree in-between. Fat is more calorically dense per gram which usually can cause satiety for longer periods of time. This then usually translates to eating less calories compared to what is burned creating a deficit which leads to weight loss. At the end of the road whatever eating habit/macro you use if you create a deficit you will lose weight, this just seems to be easier to accomplish that goal for some people. Find something that works for you in the long run and stick with it.

Maintaining or getting your body into Ketosis is different for each person. A lot of people throw less than 20g/day of net carbs = Keto but each body responds differently based on genetics and lifestyle choices. If you want to get your body into ketosis do your own research and find something that safely works for you.
  • mmapags
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    No such thing as "good" or "bad" carbs. Carbs are carbs and they all turn into glucose in the body.

"Low Carb" is a bit of an ambiguous term and there are so many definitions of it. There is also the question as to whether you are counting total carbs or net carbs (carbs minus the subset of fiber).

I consider myself to be eating moderate carbs. I have a daily maximum of 160 total carbs which is 40% of my total calories. I am T2Dm so my doctor's recommendation is that I not go over 180 no matter how many exercise calories I earn in a day. This means on my pool workout days (laps and a class) I eat closer to 20% carbs which I do consider low carb.
    This makes sense as lowering carbs or even going keto can improve insulin resistance. Also, intermittent fasting has shown some good results with improving insulin sensitivity. Have you experimented with that at all?
  • earlnabby
    edited September 2017
    Options

This makes sense as lowering carbs or even going keto can improve insulin resistance. Also, intermittent fasting has shown some good results with improving insulin sensitivity. Have you experimented with that at all?

IF does the opposite of what is desired for me. If I go without eating, my body dumps stored glucose into the system and my numbers actually climb. I do better eating 5-6 meals spread out over the entire day.

I am not happy on low carb and definitely cannot eat keto (among other reasons, I have no gallbladder so I don't process high fat well). My numbers have been excellent after losing the weight I have so far so if it ain't broke . . .

My macro split is 35% each protein and carb and 30% fat. The 40% mentioned above is if I eat my recommended max of carbs. On rest days, my carb target is 140 grams so I have a little wiggle room.
  • mmapags
    Options

IF does the opposite of what is desired for me. If I go without eating, my body dumps stored glucose into the system and my numbers actually climb. I do better eating 5-6 meals spread out over the entire day.

I am not happy on low carb and definitely cannot eat keto (among other reasons, I have no gallbladder so I don't process high fat well). My numbers have been excellent after losing the weight I have so far so if it ain't broke . . .

My macro split is 35% each protein and carb and 30% fat. The 40% mentioned above is if I eat my recommended max of carbs. On rest days, my carb target is 140 grams so I have a little wiggle room.

Our macros are set up exactly alike. I don't know what the % are at the end of the day cause I'm shooting for grams per lb of LBM with protein and fats. But that is how my goals are set.
  • earlnabby
    Options

Our macros are set up exactly alike. I don't know what the % are at the end of the day cause I'm shooting for grams per lb of LBM with protein and fats. But that is how my goals are set.

I set mine up to get the correct max of carbs and a proper amount of protein. At the end of the day, I don't worry about fat at all, as long as I haven't gone over carbs and hit my protein goal.
  • KetoZombies
    KetoZombies Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Keto is 20 grams or less - Low carb is below 150
  • earlnabby
    Options

Depends on who you talk to. I have had dieticians tell me low carb is less than 100. Others have said it is less than 35% of total calories.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options

The brain requires approximately 100g of glucose per day and therefore a ketogenic diet is any diet that provides less than this.

The 20g is ensure a swift conversion into ketosis.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options

Depends on who you talk to. I have had dieticians tell me low carb is less than 100. Others have said it is less than 35% of total calories.

There really is a variation. I usually see low carb as 100-150 g, with ketosis being under 20-50g, but I have seen active people maintain ketosis with over 200g of carbs if they time the carbs around workouts.

Percentage wise, low carb is usually 0-35%, and that includes ketosis.
  • aneary1980
    aneary1980 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    I've done under 20g. It is hell for the first 4-6 days and you have to have a lot of will power. I was doing as part of a gym program which included high intensity weight lifting.
    The biggest issue I found is that once I past the first 4-6 days it was easy but one cheat day results in resetting and going through the hell again. You also have to be really creative with cooking and check everything you eat.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,954 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »

There really is a variation. I usually see low carb as 100-150 g, with ketosis being under 20-50g, but I have seen active people maintain ketosis with over 200g of carbs if they time the carbs around workouts.

Percentage wise, low carb is usually 0-35%, and that includes ketosis.

I think the "under 100g" designation dietitians use is to support those who need to lower blood sugar. It's an important threshold some docs have found to be an effective, but not overly restrictive, level to decrease BG long term and, over time, the need to inject insulin. I'm no expert by any means, but I've spoken to many, including my mother, God rest her soul, whose docs and dietitians choose 100g. While she complied, my mother's need for insulin injections dropped almost to zero. Alas, had she kept it up, she might be alive today. I think she would have eventually been able to even go off blood sugar meds as well. But she made decisions that were hers to make. Consequences played out.