Rough week...

Options
Had a really bad week as far as working out and eating well. I only worked out twice for 20 min, and I haven't been eating very clean and have been going over my calories. I've been super stressed, my mother just had a full hysterectomy (Her first step at trying to defeat her uterine cancer, which we found out about earlier this month). Needless to say I'm super stressed out! Tomorrow starts a new week, and considering I've been with MFP for about 46-47 days and have lost 20 pounds I think I'm doing pretty well, but I'm also stressed out because I don't want to fall backwards on the progress I've made. =( HELP!

Replies

• katy4193
    katy4193 Posts: 44
    Options
    Getting back to exercising might help your stress. Even if it's just a 20 minute walk every day. Some is better than nothing. You have to keep taking care of yourself if you want to be any good for your mom!!! If you need more support feel free to add me as a friend on here!! :) You can do it!!
  • ecmcnamee
    ecmcnamee Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry to hear about your Mom and I can only imagine how stressful that must be. Cut yourself some slack. You needed to be with her and deal with the cancer diagnosis first. For me, personally, exercise helps with my stress level ... even if it's only a 20 minute workout a day. Saying a prayer for your Mom tonight ...
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,630 Member
    Options
    Take care of yourself first and foremost. Your mom needs you and you have a full plate, this can not be handled when you aren't taken care of. Congrats on the 20 lb loss so far. Try to be aware of your foods. Remember to fit in exercise where you can, parking further, stairs versus elevator, jumping jacks, even dancing while blow drying your hair. Good music and a little movement can help de-stress. Prayers and thoughts for you and your family. Know we are here for support as needed!
  • KrissyChefBaby
    KrissyChefBaby Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    It's a tough time. I'm sorry about your mom. I hope that step helps her defeat this cancer .=/

As far as your progress goes, you're doing a great job. Just try to let go of today. Tomorrow starts a new day and new opportunities for good decisions. Don't let it get you down.

You going over might be a blessing in disguise because your body got accustomed to more food. Once you cut down, it will be trying to burn extra ( yay for no starvation mode). Keep up the good work and I wish your family well. :flowerforyou:
  • MissingMyOldSelf
    MissingMyOldSelf Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    Awww, I'm sorry you're stressed from your mother's surgery. I'm sending along prayers and good wishes to her and your family!! :)

In all honesty, you really didn't have the time to be thinking about YOU for this past week. You had a lot on your mind, and we all understand that you weren't obsessed with calorie counting and exercise. We all have off weeks.... but we all get back on our feet :)

Tomorrow is a new day, and the start of a new week. You can get back on track at your own pace, and we'll all still be here rooting for you!!
  • progresseeker2311
    Options
    agreed! I know it gets hard but just don't forget about yourself. If you need to, just pre cook your meals for a couple of days so maybe that will be one less thing to worry about, and you can still stay on track. I also agree that maybe a couple of nature walks would help too (peaceful). God bless your mother and I pray things get better! You can add me too if you would like.
  • daymarefe
    daymarefe Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I would agree that a 20 min. walk will help all around. I know how you feel, I have been taking care of my mom while she has chemo treatments. 10 days at Mom's then 5 -7 days at home. Eating well and healthy will give you the energy you need. Take care of yourself.
  • stc74
    stc74 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Ok, I recently battled cancer with my Dad so i know its so very stressful and your whole life let alone schedule is tossed. I didn't handle it well, I ate way too much while going through all of it and after losing him (they didn't catch it until stage 4) it just got worse. I put on 15-20 pounds in about a year. Now I'm working to take it back off.

What I wish I had done differently: Don't bring the junk food into my house. I wish I had put a protein bar or bag of apple slices, carrots or something in my purse so I didn't go to vending machines. I wish I hadn't isolated myself from friends during that time (it was only family) so I could deal with the pressures better. I wish I had asked for some help from a few others to ease some of my other work load while I was dealing with it all. I wish I had taken some time for me to catch my breath some.

Sounds like you've done very well so far, I wish you the best and prayers for your Mom.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Meh, it's a bad week. Write it off, start over, and keep plugging. Bad days happen, bad weeks happen, bad months can happen. This is life, it's not about a race to a number on the scale, it's about being more healthy. As long as you recognize it's a bad week and move to get back on track, that's a good thing.
  • sbrown44
    sbrown44 Posts: 82
    Options
    My thoughts go out to you and your mom. Having to have a hysterectomy is never easy on any woman. I agree with everyone else. You need to take a few minutes out of the day for you or you will not be helping your mom. When I was faced with a similar situation, the walks helped clear my head and put things into perspective. It helped deal with all of the other demands in my life. I will say a prayer for your mom tonight.
  • helenbeee
    helenbeee Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Look the way I see it is under the circumstances you can give yourself permission to not do super well over the next few weeks because you are right it is an extremely stressful and emotionally intense experience watching and supporting someone through a traumatic health issue such as cancer.
    Losing weight and getting fit and healthy is a lifestyle change its for the rest of your life so if you have success in achieving this 75% of the time you will eventually realise your goals.
    There are times where it just has to go on the backburner where your needs are not the first priority and Im thinking in your case this is one of them.
    You could very easily go in maintenance mode so try to manage the calorie intake and get as much exercise as you can without adding to your stress and concentrate on looking after your Mum.
    You are not going to want to go out of control eating wise because you have probably already realised that once you stop eating crap food in vast quantities that you feel much better physically, are more alert and have more energy. These are 3 very important things that you need to try and be to support your Mum she is going to need you in good physical form.
    So in light of this Im thinking that you dont need to stress because you will maintain because its necessary for you to do so so you can look after your Mum.

So no stressies okay? do what you have to do try to keep it under control as best you can and pop in here when you need to talk to someone. Noone is here to judge you when things get tough.

Good luck with your Mum I hope you and your family feel better about this traumatic situation real soon. :)
  • kjpollard
    Options
    My mom's a 12 yr breast cancer survivor, so I understand some of what you are going through. Hang in there. Keep track of your foods (it will help w/ the comfort food thing). :flowerforyou: Hang in there!
  • 1953Judith
    1953Judith Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry your mother must deal with cancer. I am sure she is grateful to have a caring child supporting her.

One of the biggest gifts an adult child can give an ailing parent is for the child to show the parent that he or she is committed to taking care of body, emotional health and soul. My friends and I who have come out on the other side of cancer treatment have all noted and appreciated the adult children who stayed strong. Keep on your fitness journey even if you have to take a detour now and again as you support your mother in her quest to heal.
  • 1953Judith
    1953Judith Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Also if you or your mother have a circle of friends, don't be afraid to ask for help with healthy meals. Often people are happy to asked to help and to be given a specific task.
  • momof2inMD
    Options
    We all have those days (sometimes those WEEKS), but I think I'd be the same way if I were going through what you are going through right now. You're mind is on other things- that's completely understandable. But it sounds like you've made a lot of progress in a short period of time- congratulations on your weight loss so far! Don't give up, you'll get back on track. If you would like to add me as a friend that would be great. You can never have too much support :) I wish all the best to you and your family.
  • DRJJ2004
    DRJJ2004 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear about your mom. Do the best you can. Be prepared. Plan your meals and snacks if you can. Don't stress eat...it doesn't really make you feel better anyway. Hang in there!!
  • sadams977
    sadams977 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much... You have no idea how much your kind and supportive words mean to me. I know with a support group like this I will be able to keep on track and make it through this. You all are awesome! Thank you so much!

<3