Exercise while injuried

Options
I have a frozen shoulder that is so painful. Two years ago my other shoulder went through the same condition. I'm 62 and find that this condition that has really stopped me in my tracks with exercise. It takes 12 to 18 months for the shoulder to "thaw" so in the meantime I'm in painful therapy. I've gained 10 lbs of 37 lbs that I had lost over the last three years. I know I could walk to stay active but have lost my motivation to do anything. I had been so active before all this happened. Walking seems so bland. Any suggestions or encouragements that might kick me back into action. I can't do anything that requires upper body exercise, shoulder can't carry any weight.

Replies

• 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,486 Member
    Options
    I'm 67. I have a few chronic issues that need attending sometime.

I see the problem like this: we can't let the injury to our shoulder ( mine isn't as bad as yours) feet (my biggest issue) knees or whatever, get into our heads. I injured my foot last year and retreated to the couch and pouted for about a week before I caught myself and got going again.

People will sometime ask about my health, I shrug and say- Aches and pains.

I always chuckle a bit at the youngsters who are so sure they are going to be the 80 y.o. Marathon runner. There's a reason it's a small field.

YouTube is loaded with workout videos. Core and legs. But you know this. Don't let your shoulder take over your brain.
  • zohart
    zohart Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks, that a good word for me to hear. It's so easy to let this " get in my brain" as you put it. I will take your advice and work on my attitude.
  • Kullerva
    Kullerva Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    I'm a young'un (28) but I have terrible back problems so I'm limited in my activities. I got a FitDesk off Amazon. For about $200, you can sit in front of the computer or TV for lazy time while biking. :)
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    zohart wrote: »
    I have a frozen shoulder that is so painful. Two years ago my other shoulder went through the same condition. I'm 62 and find that this condition that has really stopped me in my tracks with exercise. It takes 12 to 18 months for the shoulder to "thaw" so in the meantime I'm in painful therapy. I've gained 10 lbs of 37 lbs that I had lost over the last three years. I know I could walk to stay active but have lost my motivation to do anything. I had been so active before all this happened. Walking seems so bland. Any suggestions or encouragements that might kick me back into action. I can't do anything that requires upper body exercise, shoulder can't carry any weight.

Ask the doctor or therapist treating this injury for safe exercise suggestions. This is not a question for forum junkies.
  • navdeeprana
    navdeeprana Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Well there are plenty of reason you might want to give up but remind yourself why you wanted to get fit at the first place , and if you find one reason that makes you still want to continue on your fitness journey do not give up. Doesn't matters how many times you fail whatters is do not ever ever give up.

I got my knee tissue tear an year back and I still could not recover...so I cant run....cant squat or anything that can make it worse. But there are things you can do to get around it...like in my case I do upper body.....but no legs.

People are here to motivate you I assure but you would need to tell your mind to not give up.

Stay Strong!

• gearhead426hemi
    gearhead426hemi Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Find a hiking group of find new places to go hiking to keep the scenery changing. They have bicycles that you sit back in which are great for cardio that wont hurt your upper body.

https://www.google.com/aclk?sa=l&ai=DChcSEwi16NHx-pPWAhVYucAKHZZcBLoYABAdGgJpbQ&sig=AOD64_0vNymPrH4kU76lVrjkOoNrS97orQ&ctype=5&rct=j&q=&ved=0ahUKEwjo4s3x-pPWAhUE8WMKHXztBYUQwzwIWQ&adurl=

This is just a beginner one of course they go upwards of $ 10,000.00 USD for some of them. Good for you for staying active and wanting to keep a healthy lifestyle. Best of luck!
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    zohart wrote: »

This requires in person evaluation by a qualified and experienced professional. Internet advice is completely inappropriate and potentially dangerous. Ask any friends/colleagues if they know a good physical therapist.