Keto diet question

Options
Hey. So i started keto about 13 days ago and am already down 8+lbs. However 2 days ago my weight went up .4 and today its been the same (189). I had been told drinking artificial sweeteners like diet sodas etc can cause this, is that correct? I didnt drink any yesterday and wont today, but are there any other reasons that my weight is still the same? Thanks

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,668 Member
    Options
    Yes. Because you if you aren't actually in a calorie deficit, you won't lose. Also the first 8lbs you lost is mostly water weight due to the release of water because of reduced glycogen storage.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    your body fluctuates daily...what you weigh today is not the result of whether or not you had diet soda yesterday...all you need for weight loss is a calorie deficit, but you make no mention of that??
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,668 Member
    Options
    If you aren't in a calorie deficit, you won't lose weight. And introduction into keto results in a lot of water weight loss due to the reduction of glycogen in the cells. For every gram of glycogen stored, 4 grams of water is stored with it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • newyorkgirlygirl
    newyorkgirlygirl Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I agree with what the others said. I am also doing keto but also staying in a calorie deficit. Without that, I go up and down with the same 2 or 3 lbs.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Lois_1989 wrote: »
    Uh, I don't know if it causes weight gain. Generally people stay away from artificial sweeteners because it can trigger sugar cravings and also, some of them still cause insulin spikes (?) or something like that. I think it is aspartame the body still treats it like sugar, but others are ok.

Also .4lb isn't really much to worry about, even on keto the loss isn't linear.

Artificial sweeteners may affect some people with cravings, but not a large majority. Also, aspartame and other sweeteners do not spike insulin. That is a myth that just won't die.

OP, our bodies naturally fluctuate daily.. no different than tides of the ocean. What matters is progress over several weeks or a month.

Interestingly enough, my weight always seems to be the lowest on Sunday's and highest on Thursday/Friday.
  • belleflop
    belleflop Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Listen to ninerbuff, very good advice.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    I drink a lot of diet products and dont seem to have an issue with weight going up because of it . as for insulin spikes ,even in healthy people insulin spikes from time to time,its not an issue unless you have diabetes or another insulin issue. but yeah most studies say that they dont spike insulin so.