Anyone else ever FEEL you're losing/gaining weight?

Options
I've felt good enough to hit the gym regularly this week. I've been tracking and hitting my calorie targets better than normal. My goal without exercise is 2610, I've been hitting an average of 3117, and in 2(of 4 planned) workout sessions I've burned 1453 calories(all but ~470 from cardio). But I just don't feel I'm losing anything. In fact the opposite.

In the past, I've always felt when I was losing weight. I can't go by the scale yet, really, until it drops and stays 5lbs or so below. The scale read 348 monday, 347 tuesday 351 wednesday, and 348 again today. Ik there's weight fluctuations from day to day, but if nothing else, Id expect to be losing water weight right now. The scale, plus I cant shake the feeling Im gaining, make me think I'm getting off somewhere and AM gaining weight. Maybe I'm just being paranoid but anyone else ever feel this way?

Replies

• FickleFruitBat
    FickleFruitBat Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Be vigilent that the calories you're logging for food and exercise are as accurate as possible, be accountable with new healthy habits, and just keep at it. That number will drop. MFP database isn't the most reliable when it comes to the numbers.

If in two weeks still nothing, I would try eating less calories and changing which foods you eat. It's all about the produce and protien for me. I know the numbers are different if you have a large starting weight, are male, and maybe tall but 3000+ seems like a ton of calories. Then again maybe you're just building muscle?
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    How large is your deficit? I assume at least 500-1000? It would be more likely you're losing more slowly than that you're gaining. If' you're worried about either, tighten up your logging and consider cutting out one snack for a couple weeks.
  • thechiopodist
    thechiopodist Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Logging EVERY tiny thing that you eat, cooking oil, butter, dressings are all small but calorie laden, is very important. If you are working out so much though, you may be building Muscle, which weighs 3 times heavier than fat, so try measuring key parts of your body on a weekly basis. Also only weigh yourself on a weekly basis, as daily fluctuations are normal.
  • impyimpyaj
    impyimpyaj Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is not a matter of perception. You either are gaining or you aren't, and if the scale number is the same, you're not gaining weight. It's not subjective or a matter of how you're feeling. If you can't trust the numbers on the scale because it's not accurate, you should get a new one. Having the right tools is super important. Are you weighing in at the same time every day? That can make a huge difference as well.

I would suggest taking your measurements and keeping an eye on things that way. It may take longer to see a significant change just because of the distribution of weight, but it's a good tool.
  • WombatHat42
    WombatHat42 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    How large is your deficit? I assume at least 500-1000? It would be more likely you're losing more slowly than that you're gaining. If' you're worried about either, tighten up your logging and consider cutting out one snack for a couple weeks.

yea my target is around there. To maintain weight, according to other sites, is around 3600. I aim for at the minimum 500 less and try to do no more than 1200 under.

To fricklefruitbat, Im 6'1 345 so my calories are a bit higher. Im not focusing too much on macros tho, just trying to make sure im consistently hitting the calorie target then once my body is used to eating a specific calorie and I learn to recognize when I am actually hungry, I plan to start tracking exact amounts of carbs/proteins/fats. for the most part I track it but not overly concerned about it. that being said it could be part of my issue. I do log everything tho. from the cooking oil to the the one bite of whatever.

Good idea, i didnt think to track measurements. though so far nothing seems to be fitting tighter or looser. Generally I dont weigh myself every day tho. i am currently so i can monitor water loss vs intake and to make sure im not eating too much.

Im in a different frame of mind. sometimes late at night my head goes to the dark side so to speak. and for whatever reason posted even tho now it's something that is normal when changing diet/work out routines.

thanks for the advice!
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I often feel it, but I'm almost never right. So I go with what the scale says, and focus on eating appropriately, and maybe move my lazy *kitten* a bit :)