Polycystic Ovary Syndrome

Options
Hi!

Just wondered if there are any ladies who suffer from polycystic ovary syndrome that can offer weight loss/nutrition suggestions?

Replies

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    There are a number of women in the Low Carber Daily group who used a LCHF diet to improve their disease. Perhaps it could help you?

I eat LCHF for health, but for the more typical insulin resistance and not PCOS.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed more than 20 years ago. Same as everyone else: eat less and move more, and focus on moving more, it plays a key role.
  • LiveLoveFitFab
    LiveLoveFitFab Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I have it, and I also take meds that contribute to weight gain. I try to keep my sugar intake in check. Also, if you need metformin, take it. It does help. If you're like me and you don't, then skip it for as long as you can.
  • Shen0303
    Shen0303 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all your suggestions :)
  • happyauntie2015
    happyauntie2015 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS as well as diabetes so I take the metformin but a year ago I was needing insulin as well. I credit MFP to helping me keep my calories in check because I was terrible at counting without. What works for me may not work for you but I have an easier time eating lower carb and looking weight. I also eat higher protein but again it is what works for me. I weigh everything that goes in my mouth on a food scale. Don't forget to log oils when cooking if you use them as they can add up quick. Finding an exercise you enjoy helps as well because you will be more consistent. I don't restrict anything out of my diet if it fits my calories for the day I will eat a portion. It really is calories in vs calories out and eat less move more. You can do it!
  • Shen0303
    Shen0303 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks for that, you've been helpful. I'll give your method a try :)
  • stcydurand10
    stcydurand10 Posts: 14 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Hi,

I have PCOS also and my weight was creeping up on me every year. So I decided to see a nutritionist a month ago...I already lost ten pounds and I have a low calorie diet. I also tried the apple cider vinegar diet to see if that will help. I also lift weights everyday and go to the gym on the weekends.
  • LightandShadow
    LightandShadow Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS, diagnosed in my early teens, and last week I learned that my insulin resistance turned into diabetes. I'm not insulin-dependent, but I need to monitor my blood glucose level. I've found that needing to keep my glucose in check has really changed things. I'm not sure if you're in a similar situation, but even getting an A1C blood test every 3-6 months can be helpful as it shows an average of your blood glucose over the preceding 3 months. When paired with your food diary from MFP, it may shed light on anything that needs to be changed.
    Also, I've never been one for cutting anything from my diet. Reducing, sure. Cutting, no. So, I haven't cut carbs out of my diet. I just make sure that I pair carbs with adequate protein.
    Finally, I've had to learn to forgive myself. For me, PCOS is an uphill battle that started very early in my life. I was symptomatic before I was 10, so PCOS is endogenous for me. I have had to learn to forgive myself for it and for the fact that it makes weight loss such a challenge.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I tend to pop in and say i lost 105 pounds in 13 months on high carb. Im in a bit of a rush right now so cant do my huge speech i generally do, But what i will say is learn your body. Low carb helps some with PCOS but id be miserable. Dont listen to generalized advice as anything more thn generalized advice. We are all different, With or without PCOS. ITs just another small variable. Learn your bodies needs focus on what keeps you happy and energetic and stick to it. Lower calories where you can, While maintaining your satiation. Move more, Eat less, Or a variation of the 2. Sometimes it may be harder for us, But using that as an excuse is counter productive, As its still all just down to the same basic mathematics.

If you remain honest with yourself, Weigh and track everything, And stick to your calories, You will lose. Dont fall into the PCOS trap of using it as an easy excuse, While snacking the day away lieing to yourself -I did this for years. Math is math.