What should I have instead of..

Options
kr3851
kr3851 Posts: 994 Member
I drink a pre-packaged milk drink each morning (If you're Aussie... it's Up N Go) and need to find something else to have instead as it's way too high in sugar for my liking.

It contains dairy, protein, fibre, some vitamins and minerals and is billed as the drink 'with all the goodness of two weetbix and milk'.

I like it because I don't drink much milk at all and I don't like yoghurt. It's basically my only form of calcium for the day if I don't eat cheese, which I'm trying to cut back on. I also like that it keeps me full for a few hours, normally until lunchtime if I can't squeeze in a mid-morning snack at my desk.

Will a protein shake do the same thing? Should I buy a tub of the powder and mix it with milk instead of buying the prepackaged one?

Replies

• abbullar
    abbullar Posts: 61
    Options
    Try instead of drinking your calcium, take a supplement. That way you still have the calcium, but without the sugar. Drink water instead.
  • sarah_boombah
    sarah_boombah Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I think there is a 'light' Up n Go too - called Vive? Not sure on it's sugar content but it may be worth a look?
  • lilieslosinit
    lilieslosinit Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I got an idea on here for a sort of egg mcmuffin that is pretty tasty and keeps me full. It's around 350 calories, but has a lot of protein and the cheese adds calcium. I use whole wheat english muffin (that I toast and butter), sargento cheddar cheese, and cook a scrambled egg in the microwave in a mug for about a minute. It's really fast and if I'm REALLY running late it's easy to eat on the way.
  • zeuse
    zeuse Posts: 15
    Options
    A Whey protein shake in the morning would be great, whey isolate is a fast absorbent protein that will be absorbed very quickly when you drink, in turn that'll get your body jump started for the day, also a protein rich breakfast will help kill cravings and leave you not so hungry through the rest of the day. Also, its great for keeping you full - mix in 1-2 cups worth of almond milk or coconut milk to get your calcium if you're worried about that, it'll make it taste amazing, and you can add berries or PB to it to add more calories.
  • dlcam61
    dlcam61 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I peeked at your diary, and I see that your drink has 19g of sugar. I saw a show the other day on nutrition (hosted by an actual registered dietitian), and they were talking about yogurt. She said to aim for yogurt with less than 20g of sugar because a lot of the 'sugars' you see on the label of yogurt & dairy drinks (like yours) are lactose; natural milk sugars. The total sugar grams counts both lactose & sucrose (table sugar).

Hope that helps. I don't know of any substitutes as I am not from Australia lol :flowerforyou:
  • significance
    significance Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    How about eating 2 weet bix with milk instead?
    If you really prefer to drink it, but them in a blender together for a few seconds.
  • maryd523
    maryd523 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Dairy does not help with calcium. In fact, it makes the blood slightly acidic, and the body then has to pull from calcium reserves to neutralize. There are many rich plant sources for calcium that are much better absorbed by the body such as almonds, figs, and beans, among many others.
  • jellybeanjig
    Options
    You could check out Arbonne. They make a good protein shake and it is made from pea protein. I'm diabetic and the carb/sugar is very acceptable. In case you are wondering, I don't sell. I used to, but don't any longer. I still believe in the products though.
  • horizonsp
    horizonsp Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Depending on what brand of protein powder you buy, you may reduce a lot of calories as well as sugar.You need to read the labels & do a little bit of research. I have tried Jay Robb whey vanilla protein powder (1 scoop) is 110 calories, 25 grams of protein, no fat, no sugar (made with stevia) . I mix it with low fat milk or almond milk. Also premier protein shake is delicious which is 160 calories, 30 gms of protein, 1 gm of sugar, low in fat & is an excellent source of calcium.
  • kr3851
    kr3851 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions guys!

I drink this because I don't have time (love my sleep!!) to sit down and have a 'proper' breakfast in the mornings - I chug this on my way to work so it's VERY convenient. I also don't like the taste or texture of a lot of foods and have trouble physically swallowing things that my head doesn't agree with. I know it's purely psychological and something I must work on.. but for now I'm pretty stoked that after 28 years I'm regularly eating breakfast.