1200 calories!

Need meal and snack ideas for a 1200 calorie day. Are you on a 1200 calorie plan if so what do you eat and how often?

Replies

• I'm on 3000 calories :(
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    1200 is a default minimum. More appropriate for sedentary AND either very petite or elderly women.

If I set my weekly weight loss goal high enough I would be on 1200 (as I don't fit the criteria above). But I choose to eat more because I'm well over 50 and want to keep as much lean muscle mass as I can. Aggressive weight loss comes at a higher price tag than I'm willing to pay.
  • Try a very mild increase at 5% above your tdee
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited September 2017
    heytimsla wrote: »
    Try a very mild increase at 5% above your tdee

Did I miss something? Is OP trying to gain weight, or did you mean 5% above BMR?

OP - this is a great thread for newbies: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/833026/important-posts-to-read/p1
  • Rosemary7391
    Rosemary7391 Posts: 232 Member
    I don't bother with snacks. Breakfast is about 300kcal (+150kcal on running days - make sure you eat extra if you exercise), usually overnight oats, lunch 300kcal something like yoghurt, cheese and some fruit, then I have about 600kcal for dinner.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    heytimsla wrote: »
    Try a very mild increase at 5% above your tdee

The what now?
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Need meal and snack ideas for a 1200 calorie day. Are you on a 1200 calorie plan if so what do you eat and how often?

How much weight are you trying to lose and what is your weekly goal set to?

1200 is the bare minimum, plus you should be logging exercise and eating at least some of those calories back.
  • Wiggymommy
    Wiggymommy Posts: 106 Member
    My snack is my protein shake :D 1200 calories isn't a lot so what we do eat has to be very nutrient dense. Plus I get most of my calories from protein. I'm a bit opposite from the poster above. I do three meals a day around 300 calories then my protein shake is filled with all sorts of good protein and fiber (more of a meal). You might as well say 4 meals a day.
  • meganpettigrew86
    meganpettigrew86 Posts: 349 Member
    I try for 300cal meals with and 300cal buffer for snacks. I try to not eat much in the evening as I have read it is better to eat more earlier in the day and not just before bed.
  • knoxy550
    knoxy550 Posts: 22 Member
    I am also on 1200cals. I have porridge and a few blueberries for breakfast, a small apple for snack in the morning. Then soup for lunch (no bread) and a yogurt to finish. Dinner could be boiled potato, 0.5 tin of beans and 2 rashers grilled bacon and before bed maybe 2 rich tea fingers (have medication to take) and cup of tea. If I go over 1200 what extra calories I gain for exercise usually covers it and maybe have a few calories left. U do allow myself some treats as well although I do log them, but knowing I have to record them sometimes makes me think twice before eating the treat as I don't want to go over the cals I am allowed. Hope this makes sense and helps you make up your own meals.
  • DobbyWinky
    DobbyWinky Posts: 11 Member
    I'm on 1,200 a day. Potatoes are really good for lower calorie. They're all carb and starch, but it's not like eating candy or bread all the time. They are also really filling. I suggest having one with dinner. Also, mint chewing gum can help with appetite during the day if you want to snack. Most are five calories a stick, so that doesn't really hurt. Eat plenty of vegetables and light fruits. Like lettuce, you could munch all you want and it would still be low in calories. Just do some research on low calorie foods you can eat in high volume and drink plenty of water.
  • MaddMaestro
    MaddMaestro Posts: 405 Member
    TeaBea wrote: »
    1200 is a default minimum. More appropriate for sedentary AND either very petite or elderly women.
    This made me curious to the minimum required for a petite elderly man.
  • novalee1980
    novalee1980 Posts: 16 Member
    edited September 2017
    I changed it to 1330 calories a day to give myself a little lee way but yesterday I only ended up eating just under 1200. I'm only 5'0 tall. To get in my normal weight range according to the internet I need to lose at least 22 pounds.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    I changed it to 1330 calories a day to give myself a little lee way but yesterday I only ended up eating just under 1200. I'm only 5'0 tall. To get in my normal weight range according to the internet I need to lose at least 22 pounds.

Ok, so let's say you want to lose 25 lbs (you can always decide to lose more once you get there if you want!). Based on that, you should really be set to lose no more than 1 lb per week. Get a food scale and weigh all solids and semi-solids - when you're little you don't have much wiggle room. Plus, log your exercise and eat back some of those calories. Good luck!
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    susanayt97 wrote: »
    Soup! Very low calorie, very filling!

Yes soup is filling, but you don't stay full for very long.
  • novalee1980
    novalee1980 Posts: 16 Member
    Well I just did a bmi calculator and I need to lose 28 pounds not 22 :(
  • TeaBea wrote: »
    This made me curious to the minimum required for a petite elderly man.

it would be 1500 (which is the lowest for men) unless under the care of a dr
  • raphonzel
    raphonzel Posts: 8 Member
    Same here, 1200 calories everyday but I eat less than 1200. I feel fine so far. My doctor is monitoring me. So far so good. It is my 6th day of intermittent fasting.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    edited September 2017
    I eat close to 2000 and am losing about 2kg a week without fail. It's almost 1/2kg a day for me.

Try Keto. You may find it's better, more filling & actually less hard work

• Pepsab
    Pepsab Posts: 169 Member
    edited September 2017
    Im on 1200 and im coming up 4 weeks. I generally find it fine. The first 7-10 days was the hardest. I had headaches and felt slightly light headed on occasion because i was cutting out sugar and carbs.

I find its all about playing around with food to find what works for you. Do begin with i just had oatmeal for breakfast or a smoothie. Lunch would be a fritatta, eggs, or salad. Dinner meat/veges. Always this with some varieties. Ive found im ok to have carbs for one meal so i might have eggs on toast or potato one day for dinner and im still losing weight.

Ive also figured out having a coffee and apple at 11am holds me off until lunch then afternoon tea ill have a slightly bigger snack.
  • Gzuschick
    Gzuschick Posts: 50 Member
    1200 seems like so little when you first begin because lets face it, Lord knows how many we were eating before. But what I am choosing to do right now in my first week, is to stay on the 1200 and let my body FEEL the difference. And after 5 days in I am certainly feeling it! But I am beginning to realize what it truly feels like to be hungry and that is HUGE for me. We're all going to do this differently and different things work and motivate different people.
  • Gzuschick
    Pepsab wrote: »
    Im on 1200 and im coming up 4 weeks. I generally find it fine. The first 7-10 days was the hardest. I had headaches and felt slightly light headed on occasion because i was cutting out sugar and carbs.

I find its all about playing around with food to find what works for you. Do begin with i just had oatmeal for breakfast or a smoothie. Lunch would be a fritatta, eggs, or salad. Dinner meat/veges. Always this with some varieties. Ive found im ok to have carbs for one meal so i might have eggs on toast or potato one day for dinner and im still losing weight.

Ive also figured out having a coffee and apple at 11am holds me off until lunch then afternoon tea ill have a slightly bigger snack.

• Gzuschick
    Yes!!! First two weeks is killer!!! Lol It does get get better after your body stops revolting and accepts the change.
  • melissaulmen
    melissaulmen Posts: 123 Member
    I sent you a friend request so you could see my diary. I also put my favorite things to make within the 1200 calorie limit.
    I did forget to mention that my favorite snack is hard boiled egg whites. (I don't like the yoke so it is perfect for me) If you do like the yokes, one hard boiled egg is still under 100 calories.
    I always have some Lean Cuisine - No Preservative freezer meals in the freezer, just in case I don't feel like cooking. It is a great option in those just in case moments.
    Breakfast for dinner is also a quick option. Cereal, Scrambled Eggs, Omlette with veggies.
  • melissaulmen
    melissaulmen Posts: 123 Member
    I would suggest asking for friends on MFP that have similar goals. It is fun and you can get a lot of ideas from other peoples food logs.
  • aquirico
    aquirico Posts: 21 Member
    My meal plan currently looks like this, which is roughly 1100-1200 cals:

Breakfast: 200 cal meal replacement
    Snack: greek yogurt & fruit (berries, grapes)
    Lunch: Spinach, berries, rf feta, grilled chicken - grilled chicken seasoned well gives salad enough flavor that I don't need dressing, and this was a HUGE change for me!
    Snack: protein bar
    Dinner: 4 oz protein (grilled chicken), steamed veggies, 1 carb serving, such as 1/3 cup brown rice

I've been pretty hungry by bedtime since transitioning to this, so I need to maybe push dinner time back a bit, but otherwise, it's plenty of food.
  • Aplant77
    Aplant77 Posts: 112 Member
    I am set at 1240 -this really pushes me to work out so that I can get a few more calories to enjoy during the day! I usually eat greek yogurt with blueberries & chia seeds for breakfast, lunch is usually a healthy choice frozen meal, soup or leftovers from dinner the night before. Dinner varies - I cook my normal meals, I just make sure my portion fits in my calorie needs. Snacks during the day are fruits and veggies (I find if I do anything else it really pushes my meals down to an amount that is not going to fill me up). I also usually have an evening snack - I love Outshine frozen fruit pops - 35 calories and I can eat them slowly and feel indulgent :) It was hard at first to figure out what I could eat and still be under the calorie restriction but it only took a couple of days to make tweaks. I can say I'm rarely hungry - if I am it's from boredom, not actual hunger. Drink lots of water!!! I'm down 5 pounds in 3 weeks so I feel like I'm at a good pace at the calories MFP set for me.
  • Rickster1967
    Rickster1967 Posts: 485 Member
    Shredded ice cold romaine lettuce with nice salt and a few drops of lemon juice - have as a side dish with everything, virtually no cals

Mushrooms are also very low in cals, add them. I like them grilled
  • lucerorojo
    lucerorojo Posts: 790 Member
    I was at 1280 for 2 months. I'm taking a break from it (and the 2 lbs. loss per week) and doing 1 lb. per week since I'm going on vacation for 2 weeks. But I did lose, and from working out I could eat more calories. Some of foods that I would recommend would be vegetables--they have very low calories and are filling. A salad with chicken if you do not add oil (or much of it) could work for a good lunch or dinner. For breakfast I would eat either oatmeal with a couple of pecans and berries, and an egg, OR a smoothie of almond milk, peanuts, banana and cocoa, approx. 300 calories. Lots of water is important. Another lower calorie snack that would go a long way was hummus and either carrots or celery (or both). I also relied on fresh fish, generally low calorie, with a vegetable and/or a carb (pasta, rice or potato). I found there was no room for junk food. I really had to include whole foods that would give me good nutrition. As long as I planned ahead it was fine. If I substituted a junk food/treat then I got into trouble. The high calorie/low nutrient would screw me up for the day--I'd feel hungry.