Gaining muscle, Calorie Deficit

I lost 140 pounds (around 70kg), I still want to lose another 14 pounds (7kg), but I would like to start strength training. I want to cut for another 6 weeks on a 1000 calorie daily deficit.

I done 12 weeks of strength training (March - May, also on a calorie deficit) and didn't see much muscle gains, but significant strength gains. (Maybe muscle gain were not visble due to body fat)

I would like to start lifting again, but I don't want to waste my "newbee gains". I looked at alot of videos on youtube, some people say what I'm asking is possible to add muscle mass on a deficit, and I was wondering has anyone here actually done it ?

Body details : 22 Years Old,198 Pounds,6ft 2"

Replies

• jdlobb
    jdlobb Posts: 1,232 Member
    you should be strength training while you're in deficit anyways. It'll build strength and preserve muscle. But you wont' be able to start packing on new muscle in any meaningful amount until you're not in deficit. As close as you are, start lifting, keep eating deficit, drop the last few pounds, then keep lifting once you bring your calories up.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,294 Member
    If you started lifting at the beginning you would have lost less than muscle than you probably did. the reason you lift in a deficit it to build/maintain strength while maintaining as much lean muscle as possible.

Keep in mind it is much easier to maintain muscle you already have than it is to build new muscle. Start now, you may get some beginner gains, and won't likely lose any more muscle.
  • I lost 140 pounds (around 70kg), I still want to lose another 14 pounds (7kg), but I would like to start strength training. I want to cut for another 6 weeks on a 1000 calorie daily deficit.

I done 12 weeks of strength training (March - May, also on a calorie deficit) and didn't see much muscle gains, but significant strength gains. (Maybe muscle gain were not visble due to body fat)

I would like to start lifting again, but I don't want to waste my "newbee gains". I looked at alot of videos on youtube, some people say what I'm asking is possible to add muscle mass on a deficit, and I was wondering has anyone here actually done it ?

Body details : 22 Years Old,198 Pounds,6ft 2"

if you only have 14lbs to go I would go with losing half a lb a week. 1000 calories with so little to lose is a big deficit.start lifting now with the smaller deficit and get enough protein.you will still lose fat and cut,but you wont lose as fast this close to goal.you will change how your body looks as well.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,294 Member
    You also have a very aggressive deficit so close to your goal, which will only further exacerbate muscle loss. Start lifting. Yesterday.

Agreed. with only 14 lbs to go, change your goal to lose 0.5 lbs/week. the larger deficit you were in probably led to a loss of more lean muscle than if you had more reasonable caloric intake, 1500 + exercise min for a man.