Tired of logging every little bite!

Options
Hi everyone. So lately im feeling a bit discouraged,tired or unmotivated to log all my food into my diary.And I absolutely hate feeling that way. I have lost 13lbs in the last 45 days or so...but I do notice that somedays I feel like logging is such a chore. It might be the days im eating more than I should. But I think my calories might be set to low anyway. Idk. I don't eat junk food though. Just more of the health stuff. But ugh sometimes logging it all gets to me. How do you guys stay motivated or how do you ensure to get it all logged in?!

Replies

• MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Well, it sounds like you have several options here. You could do something about your diet: move to a smaller deficit or take a maintenance break (go-to link: www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/the-full-diet-break.html/). Alternatively, you could pre-log, as others have suggested, or try quitting logging for a while but still weighing yourself regularly. Assuming you want to stay in a deficit, not logging means you have to watch your weight trends carefully, but it's certainly possible. The worst that happens is you start trending upwards, catch it within a pound or three, and start logging again.
  • debtay123
    debtay123 Posts: 1,327 Member
    Options
    I feel like logging on the ONE thing that has made such a difference- when I just skip logging or eat a meal and just "guesstimate" then I am usually way off and the weight starts to creep up- I think logging does hold you accountable to yourself- it that makes sense. ITA with everyone who says to prelog do it for a day or for a few days at a time then just change as needed. good luck!
  • kelseyllhunt
    kelseyllhunt Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I always pretrack my food in the morning, partly because I'm a single mom who works full time, and it takes a lot of the guess work out of my day. That way, if I want to treat myself, I already know if I can or not. Makes it so much easier, and gets the logging out of the way first thing :smiley:
  • Heather4448
    Heather4448 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    Sounds like prelogging and meal planning may be your best bet.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,659 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Logging is somewhat time consuming, but it allows me to eat the most amount of food that I can while meeting my goals.

And I wasn't meeting my goals without logging.

So it allows me to succeed; thus motivation!

Unsustainably large deficits and a way of eating that is too restrictive and unsuitable for the long term may be part of many people's weight loss experiments, but they do tend to lead to burn out and giving up.

The process of logging (recording what was consumed) should not be conflated with chosing what and how to eat, or the size of the deficit one aims for.

Are you sure that *logging* is the problem?
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I feel ya. Mfp is the only thing that has worked for me in the past (lost 25 ish lbs about 5-6 years ago) but for some reason I just can't get back Into it.