Vanity Pounds

Options
IsabeausRose
IsabeausRose Posts: 129 Member
edited September 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
My BMI is 24.4. My goal weight would put me at a BMI of 20.9. I saw my doctor today and he said I am at a normal, healthy weight. It felt so good to hear and made me so happy like I don't have to lose the last 25 pounds if I don't want to. Getting to 150 pounds was originally so important to me. And now I am starting to reconsider and wonder how important are 25 vanity pounds really? I'm healthy so from here on out it would be just pure vanity to get into those size 8 jeans and is that a good and healthy reason?

Replies

• impyimpyaj
    impyimpyaj Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    I think that as long as your goal weight wouldn't put you at an unhealthily low weight, it's ok to reach for that. It's also ok to stop if you're feeling good about where you are. There's not really a right or wrong here. If your doctor is happy and you're happy, then you can evaluate whether you want to keep going.

I will say that if you should decide to stop losing weight, you may want to keep logging or do something else to help you maintain your weight, like joining Weight Watchers or something of that nature. It's easy to slip back into old habits. I was at my goal weight and decided to relax, and I maintained easily for a while, but then I packed the pounds right back on. Don't get on that roller coaster. :)
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    That's a personal decision....
  • macclone
    macclone Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    What does your mirror tell you?
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    There's no reason you have to decide right away. Maintaining is difficult to get the hang of, so why not practice by losing weight very slowly? Set yourself to a minute deficit and gradually coast downwards to a stop.
  • IsabeausRose
    IsabeausRose Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    macclone wrote: »
    What does your mirror tell you?
    The mirror tells me I like what I see but I'm not quite there yet. Great advice ty! Hadn't thought of that xoxo
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Are you exercising too? You might be a good candidate to recomp which will help with looking lean. I'm in the same situation where I don't need to lose any weight but I'm not 100% satisfied with my appearance. Weight training has been great and I recommend starting if you haven't already.