Chicken Wings

Options
How do you calculate chicken wings? Do you enter the values including the bone?

Replies

• DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    weigh the wing before eating, weigh the bone afterwards to see what you left behind. Log only the meat.

Personally, I just call it 250 calories per wing (flat plus drumette) plus a guesstimate for whatever they're sauced in.

And yes, at that calorie level, I don't tend to eat too many wings anymore :(
  • b_lisieux
    b_lisieux Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Unless you are breading and deep frying the wings, I think you are way overestimating the calories per each wing. See: https://www.fatsecret.com/calories-nutrition/generic/chicken-wing-roasted-broiled-or-baked-skin-eaten?portionid=5281&portionamount=1.000 Of course if you are using BBQ sauce, you'd calculate that too.
  • madwells1
    madwells1 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    ...it better include beer. And the Blue Cheese.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    250 per wing, dang. No way.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    Note that when I count 250 per wing, that's for a whole wing; the flat and drummette together. Most places would call this two wings in an order. So in my estimation, a typical 6 piece order of wings in a restaurant would be 3 whole wings (excluding the tip), or 750 calories.

I'm not sure it's that far off, especially since most of the restaurants by me serve pretty big wings. The USDA estimates 3 ounces of roasted wing meat/skin at 240 calories. Once you factor in the fact that most wings are fried and the sauce, 250 doesn't sound that bad.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    250/wing seems high to me too but, if you're trying to lose/maintain wt, it's always better to over estimate than not.

Most of the MFP entries for fried chicken wings serm to be around 170-200 but maybe that's just wishful thinking. There are listings around 250 and for buffalo wings there are listings at over 350/wing.

So, all things considered 250 may not be far off and it's a good reason NOT to eat the darn things all.
  • amandaloukavanagh1971
    Options
    I bought a packet of Tesco Hot & Spicy Chicken Wings, they are covered in a spicy sticky coating, not too wet/saucy. The pack size says 525g E (which means estimated quantity). I weighed the whole pack, which contains 12 biggish chicken wings and the total was 577g. Take 12g off (aprox) for the plastic tray so 565g of chicken. The label says 202cals per 100g "as sold", that means the weight of the chicken raw, with skin and bone intact. Total for 565g = 1141.30 calories, divided by 12 wings = 95.108cals per wing. I ate everything but the bones and the weight of the bones after was aprox 100g so if you recalculate the total to 465g @ 2.02cals each, the total for the pack is 939.3 calories, or 78.28 cals per wing. I tend to go with the weight and calories per 100g as sold, because when you cook meat the weight reduces and it depends on how you cook them etc. So just stick to the raw weight. Wings are high in calories so try to not eat the whole packet in one go - now you know there's between 70-100 calories per wing, you can judge how many you want to eat, and enjoy them. Amanda 10/04/2024