Are Fat goals a maximum, or a target?

wjgo
wjgo Posts: 5 Member
edited September 2017 in Food and Nutrition
I would like to have some clarification on the necessity of fat in a diet. I have a particular diet I am trying to follow of 40/30/30 (carb %, fat %, protein %) givin to me by a dietician for a particular goal (but I will not see her again for a while)

I find that am always meeting or exceeding my protein goals, and usually at my carb goals as a %. But most days I am simply lacking or have very little fat, sometimes 5-10%.

How can I best correct this? I already have made changes to my diet because I was under protein and over carbs. Right now, I have been taking the easy way out - a couple servings of peanut butter, and that puts me on target or close to my target. Is that OK? The problem is, I don't want to make peanut butter a part of my diet, but it always seems to be a good "fix."

Replies

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,179 Member
    Choose to eat more peanut butter, avocados, olive oil, nuts. Diddle with the portions to get your macro ratios on target with your calorie goal.
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    Salmon, eggs, greek yogurt, chia or flax seeds. Even a bit of dark chocolate after dinner!
  • Oils that you lay in pans count as fat too:) if you use coconut oil or butter it counts towards your fat!
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    wjgo wrote: »
    I would like to have some clarification on the necessity of fat in a diet. I have a particular diet I am trying to follow of 40/30/30 (carb %, fat %, protein %) givin to me by a dietician for a particular goal (but I will not see her again for a while)

I find that am always meeting or exceeding my protein goals, and usually at my carb goals as a %. But most days I am simply lacking or have very little fat, sometimes 5-10%.

Mine are neither. Fat is what is left over after I make sure I hit my protein macro and stay under my carb macro (T2Dm).

If you need to up your fat, nuts are an excellent way to have a nice protein snack and get healthy fat in. So are eggs. Also, if you butter something, use twice as much. Pour a little more oil in the pan to cook something. Add extra salad dressing.

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Examine what you eat.

Is any of it labeled low or no fat?

Get the full-fat version.
    Even 2% milk better than Skim if that was a prior mindset to save calories, many did.
  • jdlobb
    jdlobb Posts: 1,232 Member
    edited September 2017
    depends on if you're trying to minimize fat or carbs, depending on your personal preference.

Protein is a target, full stop.

I personally treat carbs as a limit and use fat to absorb the rest. If I'm under on carbs I don't care if I'm over on fat, as long as my calories balance. But others do the exact opposite.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,777 Member
    You need fats for health, on the order of at least 0.35-0.45g daily per pound of healthy goal weight. You need fats in order to utilize the fat-soluble vitamins in your fruits/veggies, and your body uses them in hormone balance, among other things.

I don't know whether 5-10% of your calories in fat is meeting that minimum, or not - you'll have to do the arithmetic, as I know neither your calorie goal nor your healthy goal weight.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Back in the day when Weight Watchers was ultra low fat, they promoted a multivitamin and a minimum tablespoon of fat a day.

If you are feeling good and losing weight I'd say a range of 10-30% a day is working for you.

If you are really worried about it, finish your day with a few cashews.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    The side effects of not getting enough fat in diet (listed nicely above) can take awhile to show up - it's not instant by any means - just like most vitamin or mineral deficiencies take awhile.

Then it's a bear to get out of the problem state.

Take a week and look at what the fat grams is made up of too - since several are healthy types, some not needed if you are pressed for calories.

Really shouldn't be hard to increase.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    If you want Vitamin packed fats consider whole eggs, whole milk, and fatty fish like Salmon.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Fat goal, defined as 0.35g per pound GW, is a minimum. If your 5-10% of daily calories is less than that goal number, try some of the good suggestions here to find ways to get enough. My meals tend to be low fat, so I have to consciously make room for high fat snacks like almonds& cheese or delicious fat bombs. <3
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,839 Member
    edited September 2017
    I have the opposite problem -- I'm usually higher in fat and eating more saturated fat than I should. Dairy is my nemesis. Cheese. Full-fat Greek yogurt. Eggs. More cheese. Of course, I also eat beneficial fats like olive oil and nuts. But CHEESE!!
  • ellen_dever
    ellen_dever Posts: 2 Member
    I have the same issue! I need to up my protein and bring down my fat but it's hard!