Choosing fall and winter clothes to wear in midst of losing a lot of weight

Options
AshlynnHH
AshlynnHH Posts: 27 Member
edited September 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
I lost 22 lbs(about 1/3 of my goal)since the beginning of the year. Now my previous fall/winter clothes are too baggy on me. This will happen, again, next year. So, what should I start buying? I wear jeans, sweat pants, t-shirts and long sleeves. I don't have access to any bargain stores except for Forman mills and Walmart.

Replies

• Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I would buy pants that fit first. I don't mind looser shirts but don't like baggy pants.
    Check out thrift stores or ebay.
    Get a few things as you lose instead of a whole new wardrobe at once.
  • amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    1 pair of jeans that fit
    A few tops
    Exercise clothes 2 or 3
    Work attire

Basically get yourself 1 week or less of stuff that fits and keep wearing it. Then as you go down add in more stuff as the other stuff stops fitting. A small capsule wardrobe is fine right now. Pretty accessories can make it new and interesting but don't buy much.
  • emcclure013
    emcclure013 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I love cardigans. Nobody cares if they're oversized - they just look cozier that way. And you can add a belt over them for a more polished look. Plus they hide whatever baggy shirts might be underneath.

Any kind of pants that have a drawstring are great too. I find that the elastic ones stretch out and once they don't fit, they REALLY don't fit. At least with a drawstring you can make them stay up, even if they're a little baggy!
  • AshlynnHH
    Options
    I want to add, a belt will not work too much as my butt is flat but my hips are wide. So, too many sizes down and everything hangs. But, I like everyone's suggestions as of now.
  • rosyone1
    rosyone1 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I made sure I had what I needed to look presentable for work plus at least one pair of reasonably well-fitting jeans and a couple of tops to wear in public. Around the house, I continued to wear things that didn't fit quite so well. I didn't buy a new winter coat until I was within a few pounds of my goal weight, but I'm in the deep south so that wasn't so hard to put off.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    if you google "upcycle clothes" you can find a lot of ideas for turning existing clothing into newer looking, smaller clothing...for many of them very limited sewing skills are required...some of them have no-sew options...
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Knits are nice in the fall, as they are quite forgiving.
    Leggings were really on trend last year, and they have stretch and can shrink with you. Pair with a sweater dress or long tunic.
    Anything with a drawstring... I have some skirts that stuck with me through 40 pounds of weight loss
    Wal-Mart can offer from time to time some surprisingly good options...keep your eyes open. A $5 simple long sleeved T is about the same price as Goodwill.

Are there really no thrift stores in your area? There are some that don't, but even rural areas often have church sales and the like that one can get good cheap clothing.
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Also, if you have some really awesome pieces you really don't want to get rid of, a good tailor or seamstress can often alter for a few dollars.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    Over-sized sweaters are pretty popular, so no worries about appearing "baggy". Get some jeans/jeggings with stretchy fabric, perhaps a slight bit smaller than your usual size. They'll stretch to fit you, then continue fitting well as you lose more weight.

I found a really great fabric woven belt at H&M with NO holes! You just poke the metal thingie right through the weave. So it's great for weight loss purposes, it always fits great.

6966e4d6b45c269d115b1ca267ce3253--braided-belt-summer-styles.jpg
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Jeans with 2-5% spandex in the fabric & a little give in the waist if possible. Get a couple of items, not a million because you'll have to replace again soon.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I'm a huge fan of thrift stores, so I am not sure what I'd do without them! But you have received great ideas so far.

I don't actually think I would do this with a "full price" item. But something I did when I was actively losing large amounts of weight, was to buy very inexpensive yet stylish jackets that didn't QUITE fit me. For example if I was in XL, but found a M or L jacket that fit my shoulders and arms well, but didn't quite button/zip across my torso, I'd buy it and wear it open on cool days or just as part of a coordinating outfit (over a tee and jeans or a dress). It looked fine, and then over time and continued loss, it would eventually zip or button and fit me. And still looked good for a long time, as it might have gotten a bit baggier in the shoulders/arms, but still suited me. Some of it I wear still, at maintenance.

I do use belts some, but I understand they're not the best solution for every figure. Layering can be your friend. Putting a cute open vest over shirts & sweaters that are just slightly too small for you until the shirt fits properly and you can wear it a different way. A looser top layered over a tighter-than-you-prefer dress can be really cute. Play with proportions and you may be surprised what works.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    sweater dresses are great for the winter - I have one that is a bit stretchy and comfy - I think I bought it from like TJMaxx
  • Polo265
    Polo265 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I'm a fan of EBay. I'm retired now, but when I was still working in the business world, I was promoted and needed an array of ladies business clothing. I was able to get beautiful suits for $25. or less. The descriptions on the clothing items usually specify the measurements of the garment.
  • NelwynnValala
    NelwynnValala Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I second the tunic/legging idea, and completely agree with seltzermints jacket advice. I've been doing this too for work and it's working out very well. Just get one smart black jacket (or for work a few black blouses) that is still too small and wear it open for a while. By the time the cold hits you will hopefully be able to zip/button it up. :-)
    Dresses are usually more forgiving then shirts as well.

There are many inexpensive new clothes on amazon now too. Might help if you don't have a large selection close-by.
  • AshlynnHH
    Options
    So far I brought 6 basic v-neck t-shirts $3 each and a hoodie. I have some capris stored away from last year.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Old Navy will be your best friend.
  • Sassafras106
    Sassafras106 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Leggings and larger shirts/tunics will fit forever