Am i alone here ?

Options
OK so I know that an altered body image is that you feel heavier than you actually are. People look in the mirror and don't always see themself truly the way everyone seems to.
But i always have felt thinner than i am. When i walk by a mirror and catch a glimpse, i have to take a second look.
I have been this way my whole life even though I have never been thin.
What is wrong with me!!!!!!

Replies

• dithompson1
    dithompson1 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Nothing is wrong with you. I can always find an angle in the mirror where I look thinner.
  • Green_Faerie
    Green_Faerie Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I get that. Mainly what happens is I'll put on an outfit I feel looks great for an event (under the idea that I look great for my size) then see candid shots after and realize I looked dumpy and the outfit was far from flattering. Full length mirrors and having someone else take pictures (as opposed to selfies) helps me get a better idea of what I look like.
  • whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    I do that too
  • impyimpyaj
    impyimpyaj Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    It's pretty normal, I think. I suspect that's why a lot of us gain weight in the first place. We don't notice it happening, so we don't nip it in the bud. At least that's how it goes for me. I was thin up until my youngest was about 2, and then I started gaining weight. I didn't have a scale, so I had no idea how much I weighed, so I just accused all my clothes of shrinking (yes, really). Next thing I knew I was 30 pounds and a couple of sizes up, and when I went to the doctor and weighed myself I was shocked. If I hadn't gone to the doctor that day, I probably would have still kept creeping up.

And now I'm back here because the same thing happened. You'd think I would have learned the first time, but nope. hahaha
  • Brabo_Grip
    Brabo_Grip Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I'm knew a I had gained quite a bit - scale told me. But it took a few photos over a few months span to mentally shake me to realize THAT is what I looked like.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    Nope! Never alone!
  • Beka3695
    Beka3695 Posts: 4,126 Member
    Options
    Same here. As a teen, I was always the fat friend and never realized it. I guess having thin friends made be think I was thin. I never put it together that they were a 4 and I was a 14+.

As an adult it continued. I am not sure at what point the person in my head matched the person I was. Also, not sure if in my head I am the size I am now, either.

I think I see myself about 25 lbs heavier in my head. So confusing!!!!
  • ccruz985
    ccruz985 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Not a thing girl.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Many people don't feel as fat as they are, that's how they become overweight.
  • twinkles4
    twinkles4 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Definitely not alone :smile: At my heaviest, I was completely delusional. I would "see" myself as someone with 40-50lbs to lose. In reality? it was 180lbs.

It's disillusioning now. Looking at myself in the mirror, I see the same person that I "saw" at my heaviest. Even though I've lost 160lbs and I'm definitely smaller. But that's how skewed my vision of myself was.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    For me its seeing myself in a picture. Holy crap I am fat!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Just out of interest, what are your stats OP?
  • timibotkin
    timibotkin Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    In all of my dreams I'm thin, but I haven't been thin since I was a young child!