Start them eating healthy young!

Options
weavsworld
weavsworld Posts: 13 Member
edited September 2017 in Food and Nutrition
3years old, 2 years old, 3 months old (not pictured) all saying WTF IS THIS SALMON BURGER CRAP!?

Friend me for entertainment, keep motivated.

...apparently I can'd add the pic from mobile. What the heck. Carry on...

Replies

• PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    weavsworld wrote: »
    ...apparently I can'd add the pic from mobile. What the heck. Carry on...

I always have to go onto MFP in the web browser and set it to "desktop site" to upload my own pics.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Um, a 3 month old is asking about a salmon burger??
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Just don't give up!
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    Tried three times!! Each time we thought we'd somehow get our child eating healthier than the previous one. Didn't work. Our third child (a boy) eats the worst of the lot. The second was bad, but has become a bit of a health fanatic now she's older. The first one isn't too bothered about anything, but has no negative health issues so far as a result of her bad choices.
  • impyimpyaj
    impyimpyaj Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    I used to be so proud of myself because my kids would eat lots of good, healthy foods that a lot of kids wouldn't touch. They even loved salads. Now my son is going the picky route, only eating chicken if it's in nugget form, eating all the topping off the salads instead of the greens, and shunning his carrot sticks. *sigh* But I'm not giving up on him! At least they still both love salmon and Brussels sprouts. :)
  • Aerona85
    Aerona85 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    My 5 year old niece always requests black beans whenever possible. She will eat those anytime. I am not sure where she acquired her love but she could have worse favorite foods!
  • midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    The struggle is real, dude. (from a mom whose 8 year old son will still only eat hotdogs)
  • Francl27
    Options
    We did what I always swore we wouldn't do, and bribed them with dessert.

Now they eat veggies at least, but they're still annoyingly picky.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

This is what I did too, though it was a more of a threat than a bribe. Instead of "you can have dessert if you eat your dinner", it was "you can't have dessert if you don't eat your dinner."

It's the same way I was raised. I never got to choose what I ate for dinner. There was dinner on the table, I either ate or went hungry. If I ate it, I could have dessert. I did the same for my children.
  • artbyrachelh
    artbyrachelh Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Ideals are one thing, reality is something altogether different. Some kids have aversions. I think that's ok. Trust your aversions. Coming from someone who as a kid, my parents made me sit for hours at the dinner table when all my sibling played happily outside.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    This is my go-to salmon recipe for kids. They still complain though, but I love it and make them eat it anyway.

http://ourjourneytoasimplerlife.blogspot.com/2010/07/recipe-of-week-kid-friendly-salmon.html
  • weavsworld
    weavsworld Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I'm way late to the party, but finally uploading the picture...
    eb5awrut0udr.jpg
  • GlassAngyl
    GlassAngyl Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I am in 100% agreement! I didn't sabotage my children (or myself) with corn dogs and chicken nuggets. They ate what was good for them. They were only allowed junk on special occasions. No soda at ALL. They got water and watered down juice. Now they are teens and yes, they spend their own money on junk.. But they rarely drink anything other than water and they love their veggies. They just had a cauliflower grilled cheese for breakfast.
  • Francl27
    Options

This is what I did too, though it was a more of a threat than a bribe. Instead of "you can have dessert if you eat your dinner", it was "you can't have dessert if you don't eat your dinner."

It's the same way I was raised. I never got to choose what I ate for dinner. There was dinner on the table, I either ate or went hungry. If I ate it, I could have dessert. I did the same for my children.

Exactly. I've noticed that when I started being lazier about cooking and letting them choose what they want, that's when they started getting picky again! But if I'm making dinner (vs leftovers), that's what's for dinner, or nothing.

My kids are both on the low BMI side though because sometimes they'd rather not eat than eat what I give them (ugh). My friend is only making her kid what she likes (fries, hotdogs, chicken nuggets), and the girl is definitely chubby. It's definitely not always easy to find the balance.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

Exactly. I've noticed that when I started being lazier about cooking and letting them choose what they want, that's when they started getting picky again! But if I'm making dinner (vs leftovers), that's what's for dinner, or nothing.

My kids are both on the low BMI side though because sometimes they'd rather not eat than eat what I give them (ugh). My friend is only making her kid what she likes (fries, hotdogs, chicken nuggets), and the girl is definitely chubby. It's definitely not always easy to find the balance.

I don't know when offering kids food until they find something they want started to be the norm. When I was young nobody did that. Mom (or sometimes Dad) cooked a meal and put it on the table. That was dinner. End of story. Honestly it never even occurred to me to ask for something else. I knew the answer.
  • julie_broadhead
    julie_broadhead Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    weavsworld wrote: »
    I'm way late to the party, but finally uploading the picture...
    eb5awrut0udr.jpg

:-) the food is still on the plate and not on the floor. That's a good sign. Keep offering! They will eat!