Bikini comps and such like

Options
I've reached a stage now where I'm starting to feel like I need a goal. Can anyone suggest some low level amateur comps and things for women? I'm not extreme enough for bodybuilding ones.

Replies

• ramshackles
    ramshackles Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Anyone!??
  • skymningen
    skymningen Posts: 532 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Not that I could help you, but people who know their way around this would need you location. I think those competitions are set up in local "leagues" that you fight your way up to national. Where I live, there are (nearly) no professionals so anyone participating is an amateur anyway.
  • rstclair26
    rstclair26 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    A few people at my gym as well as my fiancee have competed in these shows. I recommend you check out the NPC (National Physique Committee) and the NGA (National Gym Association). You should be able to find shows for both that are local to your location. Both of these organizations have novice categories for those who have not competed in the organization's shows before and NPC has true novice for absolute first-time competitors anywhere. You can compete across categories, too (true novice, novice, and regular bikini, for example). The NGA is a natural competition (you have to do a polygraph test related to performance-enhancing drug use beforehand) and we found that those shows tend to be smaller than NPC shows. That being said, there was more of a tight-knit community feeling to them (compared to NPC) which the people I know who have competed in the NGA really liked. My fiancee really enjoyed her experience and won places at both shows she did (NPC and NGA). If you decide to give it a try, definitely find yourself a good posing/stage presence coach. Posing and stage presence are a large part of your judging score and being relaxed and comfortable on stage will definitely be key your first time out there. Good luck!
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Why do you want to compete? What is your reason for that being a goal?

(yes, I'm answering your questions with more questions, but my response will change depending on your answer :D)
  • ramshackles
    Options

(yes, I'm answering your questions with more questions, but my response will change depending on your answer :D)

I think my motivation comes from how much I love lifting weights at the gym. I really get so much positivity out of doing it but need some justifiable reason for taking it to the next level in terms of diet etc.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options

I think my motivation comes from how much I love lifting weights at the gym. I really get so much positivity out of doing it but need some justifiable reason for taking it to the next level in terms of diet etc.

To me, loving lifting doesn't correlate to competing in a bodybuilding competition. Prepping can be draining, and take the joy out of training. Lifts/performance would likely suffer. Many people develop body image issues which can be hard to overcome.

If you love lifting, why not set yourself lifting goals? Go for numbers, perhaps consider powerlifting?
  • ramshackles
    Options

To me, loving lifting doesn't correlate to competing in a bodybuilding competition. Prepping can be draining, and take the joy out of training. Lifts/performance would likely suffer. Many people develop body image issues which can be hard to overcome.

If you love lifting, why not set yourself lifting goals? Go for numbers, perhaps consider powerlifting?

Yes, maybe that's the path I should take. It would just be interesting to see how far I could push my body with the discipline demanded from doing a show. Why do you do it?
  • ramshackles
    Options
    Thank you both for your insightful advice. It's really opened me eyes to the potential issues that could arise from competing. I think for now I'll focus on gradually increasing my lifts to see how I progress before I decide which route (if any) to go down.
  • ArvinSloane
    ArvinSloane Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you have a good head on your shoulders, OP! I'd just like to throw in another vote for powerlifting as an eventual goal. The sport has brought me so much more confidence, and made me proud of and inspired by what my body is capable of. It's much more objectively goal-oriented than physique competitions (which are more subjective, as mentioned above), which I really like. And the sport is full of really positive, supportive people. 10/10, would recommend. :)
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options

i got into powerlifting for this reason, because i love lifting, i love training, i love having goals. I found a awesome coach, and there are powerlifting events all over the place all the time. I love meet prep , its draining but thats the kinda challenge i thrive on. Powerlifting is about competing against yourself, you pick your goals and you work towards them. Entering a PL meet is easy, you can enter at any level and be successful.