Running Help

Options
I need A little bit of advice from some of you runners here. First of I'm 18 years old, about 200 pounds and am looking to drop 25-30 pounds and get myself into good shape before it becomes a problem later on in life.

I just recently joined the Army National Guard as away to get fit and get into a good exercise routine. What better way than having someone make you do pushups if you don't try hard enough? Anyways, Right now I run around a 12 minute mile, I need to get that below 8 minutes in 4 months before I leave for my training.

Any tips on how often/much I should run a week? And how long should it take me to get down to an 8 minute mile?

Thanks for any help,
JC

Replies

• jct823
    Options
    I need A little bit of advice from some of you runners here. First of I'm 18 years old, about 200 pounds and am looking to drop 25-30 pounds and get myself into good shape before it becomes a problem later on in life.

I just recently joined the Army National Guard as away to get fit and get into a good exercise routine. What better way than having someone make you do pushups if you don't try hard enough? Anyways, Right now I run around a 12 minute mile, I need to get that below 8 minutes in 4 months before I leave for my training.

Any tips on how often/much I should run a week? And how long should it take me to get down to an 8 minute mile?

Thanks for any help,
    JC
  • Kmill217
    Kmill217 Posts: 204
    Options
    Intervals sound like your best option.

Don't just work on running long distance, but try HIIT or (High Intensity Interval Training)

For example, walk 1/4 lap, jog 1/2 lap, sprint 1/4 lap & Repeat 6-12 times. This can obviously be changed up to do longer sprints/jogs, etc- Im sure people will argue not to even walk, but best thing would be to do is get yourself on a good diet. Start running 4-5 days a week. Make sure you give your body a rest. It can't recover if your constantly out and about. Once you lose 10-15 pounds you should notice your body will be able to stay under you for longer. Once your airways and breathing adjust, you should be well on your way to a sub 8 minute mile with a little determination.
  • butterfliblu
    butterfliblu Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Couch to 5k, baby! I am NOT a runner, but I am finding that I am loving it- I am on week 3.

Go here for the plan; they also offer free podcasts with music and timing intervals!

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

WELL CRAP, my reading skills suck tonight. You're not a beginning runner :) Oh, well- maybe someone who is will see this and try out running :)
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    So running for time is a very detailed process, and the recommendations so far are good. As a former competitive runner when I was younger I can help a little. I'm back into running these days, although no where near where I was back then (I used to do 16+ minute 5K's) I can still get down to about a 20 minute 5K when I push. I do have a goal of 19 minute 5K this year, we'll see if I can do that but anyway, here is a pretty simple plan to get you there.

first things first, get a good heart rate monitor. PolarUSA has the F6 for about 100 bucks on ebay. If you have the money, go for an RS400sd, it will calculate heart rate, calories, AND pace.
    After that, make sure you have a GOOD set of running shoes, the last thing you want is ankle, knee, or lower back problems.
    Once that is all set, make sure you have a well marked route. Know your miles. Don't guess.

now,

there's no need to run every day, in fact training more then 3 or 4 times a week has been proven to be counter to speed gains as the body doesn't have enough time to recover from previous workouts. A MINIMUM of 1 day rest is required for runs of anything over 3 miles.

there are many different ways to up your speed. The one that worked for me is
    distance, speed, distance.

which was: Sunday I run 4 miles at an 80% max Heart rate average. this is high enough to burn calories at a great clip AND to get my body used to the distances it needs to be comfortable with.
    Tuesday I ran 3 miles at an 84% max HR. This means about a 20 second per mile faster clip then my distance speeds. then Friday is another distance run. Generally I gave myself 2 days after my speed run because it's much more taxing on the body then the distance runs.

One thing to note, every 6 weeks or so you should change it up, maybe do 2 speed and 1 distance... change your days...etc. It keeps the body from getting into a rythem and stunting gains.

this isn't the only method that works, but it's one that works for me. And probably will for you too. You should see gains of about 1 minute per month or so for the first 2 months. After that it usually goes down as physical thresholds start to be reached.

Oh, besides the coolrunnings site (great site by the way). you can go to runnersworld.com for some great articles and training techniques. Make sure you check out the correct forms for running. Bad technique can really hinder progress.