Super busy but needing to make time to exercise

Options
How do you do it and when?

Replies

• impyimpyaj
    impyimpyaj Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    You make time for the things that are important to you. It might mean getting up early, or staying up late, or working out on your lunch break at work. You'll have to take an honest look at your schedule and see where you can make room.
  • cuteruthie
    cuteruthie Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Honest look at schedule is I have school, work and kids. Life is hectic and I'm always tired.:(
  • gwenparmenter
    gwenparmenter Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I find a time in my day in between shuttling kids back and forth to school. I know for me, my time that I can commit to at least 30 mins (if it's that short, I suggest getting a PT or doing some kind of high intensity workout) at the gym right after my oldest child gets on the bus but before my second child has to be at school. I can go grocery shopping, or whatever else I need to do while he is at school and I only have my youngest with me. The thing to do may be to plan your day and you will have to decide if this is something that is important enough to you to schedule it in.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    "Always tired" happens because you don't exercise and because you don't fuel your exercise properly.
    You may already be "active" and needing more food. What is your activity level setting?
  • Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    Options
    I get my workouts either early in the morning, 5 am. Or during lunch break.
  • artbyrachelh
    artbyrachelh Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Something has to give! My workout class is right when we eat dinner. So I cook dinner for my family, my husband comes home from work and I bolt out the door. I can eat dinner later when the kids are in bed. Giving up dinner time seemed crazy 5 years ago! Now it's routine. But you're right, a schedule can literally be too busy. That's when you cut something out.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I've found very few people who can't carve out 30 minutes most days for some purposeful exercise.

In the summer I ride early in the morning...most of my weekday rides are 8-12 miles which takes me anywhere between just under 30 minutes to just over 40 minutes depending on distance. I do that 2-3 times during the week...usually Mon, Wed, Fri...I typically do a longer ride on either Saturday...sometimes I take Monday off 'cuz Monday. I lift on Tuesday evening after work and usually Sunday morning.

I think people tend to under appreciate a mere 30 minutes most days and think they have to spend hours working out. You don't really have to do that unless you're specifically training for something.
  • RonPrague
    RonPrague Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    You have to make time, you have to push yourself outside of your comfort zone. It's a vicious cycle, you don't exercise so you're tired, you're tired because you don't exercise. This talk about discomfort and exercise motivates me on a regular basis, I've watched it half a dozen times in the last few months. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_eJRDl2J6Y

Maybe it'll help you too. :) (It's Joe Rogan, from his podcast)
  • cuteruthie
    cuteruthie Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Good people, thank you for all your comments and suggestions. Will start squeezing in some regular workouts even if they are short. Have a good week everyone!
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,718 Member
    Options
    RonPrague wrote: »
    You have to make time, you have to push yourself outside of your comfort zone. It's a vicious cycle, you don't exercise so you're tired, you're tired because you don't exercise. This talk about discomfort and exercise motivates me on a regular basis, I've watched it half a dozen times in the last few months.
    Maybe it'll help you too. :) (It's Joe Rogan, from his podcast)

Thanks for sharing that, Ron. Great motivation!

• xxzenabxx
    xxzenabxx Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    Do some form of HIIT workouts. They are short, quick and effective so save a lot of time. Go to Fitness Blender on YouTube for HIIT workouts.
  • Lizakabibbis
    Lizakabibbis Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I wake up at 4 and go to the gym. I walk the stairs on my lunch. I have a full time job, in school, teen, dogs, and of course a partner. My doctor told me if you have time to watch 10 minutes of TV a day then you have time to exercise. You make time - if it's important to you. I look forward to my work-outs every morning because it's the only time I get to focus on ME. I love it.
  • Calichusetts
    Calichusetts Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Nighttime. I don't really watch TV and after my cardio session, I can lift weights in my bedroom and do sit-ups/push ups/IT. Unless something needs fixing in the house, I'm basically free after my kid goes to bed.