Should I eat fewer calories because I have an underactive thyroid?

Options
jumbobu
jumbobu Posts: 2 Member
edited September 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
I'm finding it impossible to lose weight, I'm 20, 4'9, and about 100lbs (which I know is considered to be a healthy weight, however I'm unhappy with my body as I carry most of my fat around my midsection and, according to my height/waist and hip/waist ratios, I should lose weight). I have experimented with varying my calorie intake for a number of weeks at a time and have found that at around 1400 I start gaining weight, however no matter how low I go or how healthy I eat, I just can't lose weight! I've even eaten as little as 700/800 calories for weeks with no results! Could it be my underactive thyroid? (Even though I take medication for it and get regular blood tests which indicate that my levels are normal). I weigh my food and measure my calories extremely carefully and, while I know that strength training and increasing my exercise levels would help, I'm just confused as to why this is happening. Thanks in advance.

Replies

• susan741
    susan741 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    What kind of workouts are you doing? Or are you not working out? Diet alone is not going to get rid of fat. You need to do cardio. All you really need is HIIT 20 min 3x a week AND Strength training. Up your weights as you the lighter weights get easier. Do that and you will get results. Just be consistent.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    What will change your body shape more is strength training. If you lose more weight at this point you are likely to lose it where you've always lost it not where you want it to go.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Lift heavy (starting strength, strong lifts 5x5 etc) - being 100lbs, losing weight won't be easy, recomp would be more appropriate
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Have you asked your doctor about PCOS and Cushing's? Both of those cause disproportionate weight gain around the midsection. Also, different doctors have different cutoffs for what they consider "normal" thyroid levels - do you have other symptoms of low thyroid such as thin hair, or being cold or tired?

If you can rule out a medical issue, strength training is the best way to reshape without losing more weight. Or you can lose a few vanity pounds by increasing cardio. It's just tough on you being so petite!
  • Coco_Camm
    Coco_Camm Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Before you drive yourself crazy I would highly recommend seeing an endocrinologist. My PCP was handling my hypothyroidism for years before I finally saw an endocronologist and he deemed my level too high although it technically fell within "normal" range. Ever since my meds have been adjusted I've actually lost weight.

Good luck!
  • amandacowan1978
    amandacowan1978 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't automatically assign cardio. Intense cardio can actually be bad for thyroid disease. Having spikes of adrenaline and cortisol can make it more difficult to lose weight with thyroid disease.

Before you take any of these suggestions, I'd start with the one that suggests seeing your doctor or seeing an endo.