Dog Food - Sensitive Stomach Older Dog

Options
madwells1
madwells1 Posts: 510 Member
Random post, but does anyone have any experience with a dog who has a sensitive stomach & any reccommendations for a dry dog food?

My dog is 9, American Eskimo, and she has been eating Orijen Regional Red her whole life. I am beginning to see changes in her poo (sorry--gross), and I am pretty positive it has to do with her age and her changing diet needs. Orijen is a great food, but it is really high in protein & fat compared to others, which I think is the culprit.

She has NO health issues at all (recently checked), and I have taken treats out of the mix so I know it isn't 'extra food' or something of the like.

Requirements are the following:

1. Grain free
2. Dry kibble
3. No chicken or turkey (those really get her tummy upset)
4. Shes 35 lbs so anything for a standard dog.
5. I will NOT cook her food, and I don't want to feed her a raw diet.

Weird posting this on MFP, but since we all talk about food.....why not dog food.

Replies

• 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    There is a website dogfoodadvisor.com you may find helpful. They have veterinarian reviews of quite an extensive list of different dog foods. They may have a section for diets for sensative animals.

Is she experiencing weight loss and other symptoms or are you just seeing runny poo?
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I also use dogfoodadvisor as a reference. You might want to try getting some samples from the boutique type stores in your area. The two I frequent give out sample bags. I'm like you, I want to feed the best but I draw the line at raw or cooking for them. I currently feed Zignature and Earthborn. I mix them. My 8 year old lab, 14, 13 and 9 year old terrier mixes of varying weights are all doing well on it.
  • madwells1
    Options
    Thanks all! I use that site as well. No weight loss (the dog, not me--yay!!), just yucky poo. What a glorious thing.

Perhaps Earthborn and Zignature will be my next steps so I will see how that works. Sample bags are a great idea. Didn't even think of that.
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    Blue Buffalo brand.
  • flatcoatedR
    flatcoatedR Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    We usually end up having to feed any of our older dogs in the past a "lamb and rice" mixture of some kind. Just make sure its a good brand. We usually use Neutro. Easier on their systems. Usually has helped any digestive changes as they age.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    edited September 2017
    Options
    My dog had lose stool for almost a year without being able to identify a reason. She was keeping weight fine and acting normal, it was just the poop. I tried different foods and feeding pumpkin and it didnt work for her. Weird thing was I gave her some zuccini (no real reason at the time, just had a crapload out of the garden) and she firmed right up and has been normal ever sense. I have fed my guys zuccini whenever they get diarrhea since, and it seems to work. Just a random thought you could try if you want. I dont really have any base for why it works except the fiber, maybe?

ETA tractor supply carries a brand called 4health that compares to alot of the more expensive brands according to dogfoodadvisor. Its alot cheaper though, I think since their market is farmers, not pet owners. Might be worth checking out. I know they do have some grain free types.
  • LittleLionHeart1
    LittleLionHeart1 Posts: 3,655 Member
    Options
    I wonder about chia seed for dogs. And I wonder about the spice tumeric because of it's anti-flamatory properties.
    What does the Vet say?
    I also wonder about pro & pre biotics for dogs. Because gut health is important in many ways for people. They have to be extremely important for dogs and cats too.
    I hope your dogs belly gets better.
  • festerw
    festerw Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    ETA tractor supply carries a brand called 4health that compares to alot of the more expensive brands according to dogfoodadvisor. Its alot cheaper though, I think since their market is farmers, not pet owners. Might be worth checking out. I know they do have some grain free types.

My 2 boys have been eating the 4health brand for almost 10 years, IMO it's a great, fairly inexpensive choice. They have 4 or 5 different varieties as well as the same varieties with a grain free option. Even better they typically have 10% off coupons every month.
  • madwells1
    Options
    festerw wrote: »

My 2 boys have been eating the 4health brand for almost 10 years, IMO it's a great, fairly inexpensive choice. They have 4 or 5 different varieties as well as the same varieties with a grain free option. Even better they typically have 10% off coupons every month.

Never heard of this before. Great insight...will look into it.