Counting Macros

Options
How long does it take to get used to counting macros? I feel like I'm too dumb/ignorant to pull it off. It just seems like a massive amount of work to figure out. How did you get the hang of it?

Replies

• AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    How exact are you trying to be with your macros? It's best to think about them as ballpark goals, not as absolute targets you have to hit. A lot of people treat protein and fat as minimums, then fill in whatever's left with carbs. I also find it helpful to take 5 minutes in the morning and plan out most of my day; if I tried to hit my macros as I went through the day, I'd never come close.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    You go with MFP's default or set your own macros to your liking, you log your food, MFP does the counting for you. You don't have to track macros. If you're fine with what you eat (feel happy and energetic, not overly hungry, like the food you eat), don't mess with it - I really mean, don't bother with macros at all. But if something is off, looking into macros and food choices is smart.

Now are you asking how to hit your macros? Maybe you should first ask why count macros, and how important it is to hit your macros.

Losing weight is very simple: eat less. But is also takes a long time (maintenance takes forever), and if we're malnourished we get hungry and sick, and if we're hungry and sick, there is no way we can continue eating less - so in order to do all this properly, we need good nutrition. A good macro split tends to automatically ensure good nutrition.

MFP's default is a moderate split, reflecting many typical healthy diets from around the world. If you hit those macros, you're eating well. But it may be that you prefer another way of eating. Then you can adjust. I have personally cut most down on carbs while losing weight, and just "reintroduced" carbs, so that in maintenance, I'm eating very close to MFP's recommendation.

I would like you to reflect on the two questions, but in short, it's easiest to hit your macros when have a macro split that reflects your own preferences, you base your intake on single food ingredients, cook several of your meals yourself, use a food scale, and prelog.
  • cs2thecox
    cs2thecox Posts: 533 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Handy tip if you're using the iPhone app (dunno about other OSs)...
    On the Diary screen, turn your phone sideways to get the macro split.
    Scroll to the bottom for totals and remaining amounts.

Biggest piece of advice...
    Ignore the Macros screen (under Nutrition). It's deeply unhelpful unless you want to try and hit perfect macro balance in every meal (WHY?!).
    The Nutrients screen is more use, but no better than turning your phone sideways on Diary!

Then just start making slightly different choices with your food, with your current understanding of carbs, fats and proteins, and see how your numbers change.
    In general, it's kind of obvious that more meat will increase your protein, but your fats will also go up unless it's lean (chicken breast, turkey etc).
    Reducing carbs is easiest by just swapping out starch for more veg and a bit more protein.

And always make sure you use a database entry that is complete and has all the macros filled in rather than just the calories and a load of zeros!

Once you see how your normal diet stacks up, and how some simple switches can affect things, you can choose if it's something you want to pursue further or not.
  • cs2thecox
    cs2thecox Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I was told that if I counted macros, I wouldn't have to track calories as closely, because if you eat the correct macros you tend to stay within your calorie limit. Should I just keep an eye on protein and calories and not worry about carbs and fats? Looking at everything and keeping it balanced seems overwhelming.

Macros and calories are basically two side of the same coin.
    If you're counting macros, you are also counting calories, just by a slightly different method!

Personally, I just find it triggers less obsessive behaviour in me than counting calories, which was something I did when I was at a stupid low weight years ago. Looking at macros instead helped it click that lower isn't always better, and they somehow feel more like targets than a ceiling. It also makes me more aware of how certain foods make me feel - even within the same calorie target, I'll be more full and happy if I've hit my protein macro and stayed within my fat macro, than if I've eaten all my calories as carbs that day! (Not identically true for everyone - some people seem to be happier on more carbs and less of the others...)

You'll only know if it's worth it if you have a go!
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    If you're fine with what you eat (feel happy and energetic, not overly hungry, like the food you eat), don't mess with it

I pretty much am those things. But quite often I overeat (not sure if "binge" is the right word). If I put any effort in, I try to eat protein with every snack and meal, and if I'm busy enough, I'm not thinking about food between meals.
    If you're losing weight at the expected rate, the net intake of your normal, planned meals, plus any unplanned overeating, creates a sufficient calorie deficit. The urge to overeat may come from eating to little or too poorly overall. It looks like you don't have any food aversions, and that's good. Try to get in more consistency - use all your calories and plan complete meals with protein, fat and vegetables, and some starch and fruit; balanced meals will look a lot like meals from the past: breakfast a sandwich, lunch a salad, dinner meat, potatoes and vegetables. (These are just suggestions, and you have to adjust to your own schedule and preferences, and vary your intake.)

It's normal to not think about food between meals, but it's also normal to think about food now and then, and especially when we are bored. Food isn't just nutrition, it's pleasure and comfort as well. Getting in enough nutrients is just part of the picture, you have to eat food you like, too. And even then, you will get random cravings that can be hard to resist. But they are easier to resist if you feel confident that you've eaten nutritiously, and happy that you've eaten food you like, and relaxed because you know what you are doing and trusting your body's wisdom, which you can do if you balance things - feed it right and eat what you want. It's quite a bit of a game - maths and mind at the same time.
    Now are you asking how to hit your macros? Maybe you should first ask why count macros, and how important it is to hit your macros. .

I was told that if I counted macros, I wouldn't have to track calories as closely, because if you eat the correct macros you tend to stay within your calorie limit. Should I just keep an eye on protein and calories and not worry about carbs and fats? Looking at everything and keeping it balanced seems overwhelming.
    It's true that a good split will make sticking to calories easier, but it seems to me you are trying to plug all the holes at the same time, and you're exhausting yourself. I suggest regarding protein and fat as numbers to not go under, and calories and carbs as numbers to not go over, while keeping in mind that your goal is - presumably losing weight and improving health, not a shining streak of perfectly hit macros; tracking macros is just a means to reach your goal.
  • JustRobby1
    JustRobby1 Posts: 674 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    The reality is that most people who make even a mildly reasonable effort at eating a balanced diet will get more than enough nutrients to satisfy their body. The overwhelming majority of people who obsess over macros do so with little good justification. They are either fad diet practitioners who are convinced they will lose more weight with certain ratios (they won't) or ill informed.

Competitive bodybuilders or professional athletes are about the only people that these become a serious concern for. For everyone else, what MFP provides as a rough guide is more than adaquate. People who spend copious amounts of time on macro splits are pretty much wasting their time and need to find a new hobby.
  • ottermotorcycle
    ottermotorcycle Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    For me, I know I will eat my entire calorie allowance in carbs if I don't keep track. As a person who enjoys lifting weights as my primary form of exercise and wants to retain as much lean mass as possible on a calorie deficit, it's important that I aim for my protein goal.

Depending on your goals, you should have a focus. If satiety is difficult for you, try different spreads to see what works (usually fat or protein, but sometimes people just need VOLUME in the form of fibrous carbs). If you have similar goals to mine, just focus on hitting that protein target and let everything else fall into place.

If you're a binger, meal timing may be more to blame.
  • hydechildcare
    hydechildcare Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I try to pay attention to my macros. Especially it I was extra hungry. I notice from this past month days that I had less protein and more carbs I was over more hungry. Diabetes run very high in my family both sides of my family have type 2. I pay attention to my sugars because I was eating way to much of it. I still eat sugar but I am getting a better handle, my goal eventually will to go with out added sugars most of the time. Now to just give up the hazelnut spread!
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about hitting semi- exact %'s. I set mine for minimums I want to reach of protein, fat, and fiber and make sure I see negatives by the end of the day. (I also have the premium version, so I was able to customize my phone view to reflect that)..

oriq609dey4r.png

If something is coming up low, I'll take that under consideration for the next meal/snack. (for instance: low protein -> low-fat cottage cheese; low fat -> peanut butter with something;..)