Stress and Water weight gain

Options
Has anyone noticed a correlation between stress and water weight gain? I have gained 2 lbs in 2 days. I am eating back most of my exercise calories and my sodium and carb limits are below maximum recommended. Anyway, I have been stressed and not sleeping well because of the Florida hurricane. We have property and friends in Florida and I fret about it. It's on TV all day and though it's hard to watch, I can't not watch it. I'll increase my water intake and watch the alcohol calories and hope for the best. Just wondering if anyone else experiences this.

Replies

• 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Stress is a powerful thing, it can wreak all sorts of havoc on the body.

Hope all your friends are ok through the hurricane. It is definitely a scary situation unfolding down there.

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Yes, you can have water weight gain due to stress. As annoying as this might sound, don't worry about it :) Take care of yourself and get away from the TV, radio, computer, etc. Your worrying helps nobody.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    Sure, stress > cortisol > water retention is definitely a thing.

I live in MA now, but used to live in FL, still work for a FL company, and have lots of friends and coworkers there. I just shut off the TV, which I have been listening to a LOT. There's nothing I can do for anyone from here.

I did four hours of gardening yesterday and that helped my state of mind. I was too tired to be stressed last night. Need to get going and move on with my day today.
  • medic2038
    medic2038 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I absolutely believe it's a thing (there's actually several fantastic books on stress and adverse health conditions out there)! "Why Zebras Don't Get Ulcers" is the last one I've read, and was very enlightening!

Stress is just a part of life. In situations like your OP, you really can't help BUT be a bit stressed. Some of the things that I've found help me (and mostly it's generally advocated) are... meditation, creative outlets, hobbies, etc.

It's pretty much impossible to avoid ALL stress, but we can certainly take steps to offset/minimize it!
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    When I'm stressed, I go outside and take a walk. Thirty minutes to an hour, and I feel a bit more grounded and my sleep is improved. I'm finding that running and Zumba help, too. Water weight doesn't bother me too much, since it's going to disappear eventually and it fluctuates all the time.