Core training

Options
Any tips or exercises for your core?

Replies

• rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Without knowing where you are starting, I'm just going to give a more generic advice. Train all of your core, not just your abs. Train extension/flexion and resistance to each. Train rotation and anti-rotation. planks, side planks, L-sit (and progressions) superman, hollow body (and progressions), wood chops, knee raises(done properly), levers (and all progressions)
    Unilaterally weighted carries of various kinds.
  • martha8114
    martha8114 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Piliaties is good too
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    A good, full-body strength training program works the core well, so that's generally what i'd recommend, as opposed to piecing together your own routine. What is your goal or reason for wanting core exercises?
  • medic2038
    medic2038 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Doing compound lifts tends to hit your core (mostly squats and deadlifts). Planks are pretty good too.
    As far as iso ab stuff, I tend to do cable crunches or hanging leg lifts.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    I do 20 mins of abs 3-4 times a week and I definitely feel an improvement and some days I think I even see one too haha. I do 5 minutes of planks (45 seconds on, 15 off), I use a contraption at my gym that has you sit low on a seat and lift/throw a weighted ball at a target, hanging leg lifts, bicycles, reverse crunch, regular crunch and sometimes russian twists. Do a couple sets of 10-15 of each.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    TRX suspension trains your core with every exercise
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    TRX suspension trains your core with every exercise

I think a suspension trainer is a good choice for engaging the core. It's worth mentioning that TRX isn't the only option, there are plenty of other suspension trainers on the market. Woss, Jungle Gym XT and others.