Soya alternatives?

Options
MissMaggie3
MissMaggie3 Posts: 2,464 Member
Just been reading about soya being bad for humans, and as a vegetarian I eat a lot of the stuff in various forms on a quest for higher protein levels (and I must confess, for convenience). For example, I've been having a myprotein soya isolate shake after working out and it seems like changing it would be a good start. Can anyone in the UK suggest an alternative (vegetarian) protein shake that isn't too high in calories? I also LOVE my daily Alpro live soya yoghurt, and would rather not go down the dairy yoghurt route. Any other ideas for nice and nutritious veggie desserts? I'm in the UK, by the way.

Replies

• melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Was this article SOOO convincing that you're prepared to give up the soy products that you find suit you?

I've just switched to soya milk and yoghurt, and also love soya desserts and roast soy beans. And I and my body love 'em.

What was the research that it's bad for humans? (it's not that ridiculous "soy makes you gay" stuff, is it?)
  • MissMaggie3
    Options
    No, it is this article (from another thread on MFP):

http://www.foodrenegade.com/dangers-of-soy/
  • melaniecheeks
    Options
    Sorry, I don't find that (a blog post???) at all convincing, and the comments beneath it tend to agreed that one person's opinion doesn't warrant such hysteria.

But we each make up our own minds, based on the information available to us. As a vegetarian you're going to have to look hard to find other protein sources (beans? eggs?) and I can't help with a non-dairy yoghurt type dessert, sorry.
  • jemmur
    jemmur Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Yeah, that article lost me as soon as it linked to the Weston A Price Foundation website, a source for independent research; some of it might be independent but it sure ain't impartial. Check out Sourcewatch for background information: http://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php?title=Weston_A._Price_Foundation

As far as I can tell, soy is bad for you the same way that carbs and red meat "are". There are too many variables (how much you eat, how it's prepared, etc) and too many conflicting studies to draw a firm conclusion one way or the other. Diversity is good though! I use pea protein from Iron Science, which gets the job done but tastes absolutely foul. Rice (which I think I'll try next) and hemp (more expensive) powders are other options.

No idea about desserts though, sorry!
  • MissMaggie3
    Options
    Yeah, you are both right; it is spurious, and I should have looked more closely at it.

I'm kind of thinking that regardless of the evidential issues around soya, it can't be good that I rely so heavily on that one source and I ought to mix it up more, as you suggest, jemmur. Mind you, pea protein doesn't sound all that tempting, lol. I feel the urge to google ... :smile:
  • kobunski
    kobunski Posts: 18
    Options
    I believe that soy isn't healthy unless it is fermented because it is loaded with trypsin inhibitors that prevent proper protein digestion; goitrogen which inhibits thyroid function; phytic acid, a fiber that impairs absorption of minerals; and phytoestrogens which dangerously increase the estrogen hormone. (I read this info on skrewtips.)
  • melaniecheeks
    Options
    I don't think there's any food group that doesn't have someone claiming that it's bad for you!

Dairy? Ooooh, human digestion not designed for cows milk.
    Red meat? Too much staurated fat
    Chicken? Battery farmed conditions
    Fish? High mercury levels
    Fruit? High sugar content
    Cereals? Not what our ancestors ate

So we're left with free range eggs and organic veg :smile:
  • MissMaggie3
    Options
    I don't think there's any food group that doesn't have someone claiming that it's bad for you!

Dairy? Ooooh, human digestion not designed for cows milk.
    Red meat? Too much staurated fat
    Chicken? Battery farmed conditions
    Fish? High mercury levels
    Fruit? High sugar content
    Cereals? Not what our ancestors ate

So we're left with free range eggs and organic veg :smile:

Ah, but don't forget nuts, seeds, pulses, legumes, beans (forgetting soya for the moment, lol) ...
  • CatClark
    CatClark Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Don't know if it helps, but I've started drinking hemp milk, and I'm liking it so far :)

It's a good source of Omega oils for veggies who don't eat fish, *and* it tastes nice! I use it to make porridge / oatmeal etc... As I said, don't know if this is particularly helpful, but it's a good alternative to soya milk if you felt you were consuming a lot of soya and did want to cut down for whatever reason - everything in moderation as they say :)
  • MissMaggie3
    Options
    Don't know if it helps, but I've started drinking hemp milk, and I'm liking it so far :)

It's a good source of Omega oils for veggies who don't eat fish, *and* it tastes nice! I use it to make porridge / oatmeal etc... As I said, don't know if this is particularly helpful, but it's a good alternative to soya milk if you felt you were consuming a lot of soya and did want to cut down for whatever reason - everything in moderation as they say :)

Thanks, CatClark, that really does help. In fact, I'm going to get some tomorrow. I'd heard about it before, but someone else said it tasted awful, but now that I've read what you said, I'll try it for myself. Might even try a hemp protein shake next time I buy online ...
  • Frannswaz
    Frannswaz Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm in London too. I used to have loads and loads of soya cause i'm a veggie. I recently discoverd hemp milk. Its quite nice. I like Almond milk and Rice milk but I think my absolute favourite is Oat milk. I usually get them at Holland & Barrets but Waitrose also sells the Oat milk not sure about the hemp milk though.:smile:
  • MissMaggie3
    Options
    Hi I'm in London too. I used to have loads and loads of soya cause i'm a veggie. I recently discoverd hemp milk. Its quite nice. I like Almond milk and Rice milk but I think my absolute favourite is Oat milk. I usually get them at Holland & Barrets but Waitrose also sells the Oat milk not sure about the hemp milk though.:smile:

Yes, I checked, Waitrose does sell hemp milk. And a branch has just opened near us. :smile:
  • MissMaggie3
    Options
    I've just had my first hemp protein shake, and I'm afraid my verdict on the taste is yukkie yukkie yuk yuk! :sick: I'm going to have to find ways to disguise it as much as possible. Will try instant coffee granuals for a start,and tempted to put loads of chocolate in it, but that would defeat the purpose of this whole thing! :laugh:

On the plus side, I like the fact that it's full of Omega 3, Amino acides etc.

I also got some hemp milk, but for some strange reason I'm postponing the first taste, hahaha!
  • MissMaggie3
    Options
    Now that I'm mixing it with chocolate powder (I know, I know), I'm REALLY liking the hemp protein shake; feeling very good on it. :bigsmile:
  • misssiri
    misssiri Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Almond milk has a pretty mild taste. I love it for protein shakes and with cereal. (hate it in my coffee) Give it a try