Having a super difficult time right now and need advice.

Options
So I've gained back most of the weight I've lost. 40lbs to be exact. I feel like one day I have tons of willpower and confidence in myself, other days I go out and order multiple drinks appetizers and entrees. It's a rollercoaster for me and I'm sick of it. I can barely fit into my clothing and when I do I hate how I look.

For those who have failed countless times and have issues with overeating and bingeing, what is one solid piece of advice that has helped you get back up and stay up ?

Replies

• RedSierra
    RedSierra Posts: 253 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Three things helped me to keep the weight off this time.

My doctor said my cholesterol was so high I was at risk of a heart attack or stroke. He also talked about putting me on high blood pressure meds. That conversation woke me up fast.

I'm aware of the "I don't care" attitude that led to weight creep in the past -- when you lose the weight and have a healthier lifestyle and gradually go back to bad habits like eating trigger foods and mindless eating. That don't care attitude often happens when I get really busy (I went back to college). Each time seems like a one time thing, but they add up.

I really like fitting in my clothes.
  • canarysal
    canarysal Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Youve done it before so know you can do it, you have to be in the right mindset as we all know its not an easy ride. Small goals and steps, don't let one bad meal/day derail you and be an excuse to throw in the towel.
    Logging bad days helps motivate me to do better the next day.
  • KeepRunningFatboy
    KeepRunningFatboy Posts: 3,055 Member
    Options
    Advice - this has got to become a lifestyle / habits change. It's not a short term diet, you have to develop habits you can sustain for life.
  • shaunshaikh
    shaunshaikh Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    The approach I'm taking is that I'm trying to make incremental adjustments to my lifestyle that I feel are sustainable. I don't want what I eat to feel like I'm going without. Im trying to exercise in a way that feels like a chore. I have gone through the same thing as you so let's lose the weight once and for all and never go back eh.
  • Andy10725
    Andy10725 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    The advice for myself would be finding a sustainable way to do this for rest of my life instead of telling myself this is just to get to my goal. Don't feel bad for drinking n eating junk unless you plan to divorce them for rest of your life. The more you restrict yourself, greater the rebound will be.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,464 Member
    Options
    As they say in my yoga class, "not to judge but to learn."
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,464 Member
    Options
    As they say in my yoga class, "not to judge but to learn."

First, the past does not control the future. In fact, the past no longer exists. All that's left are our ideas about what it was.

Agree with the above discussion of willpower. Start a food journal, track everything, good, bad and ugly. Never quit tracking. There's a learning curve, it gets easier. But track everything every day. Anyone can track the good days. You're tracking everything.

Tracking is easier with a menu or plan.

If you plan and track you will soon be working mostly by habit. When motivated you can work harder. But motivation is fleeting. Turn to willpower only when absolutely necessary. Try to plan your way away from using it. Willpower is a limited resource. When all else fails, turn to determination. There is no one answer.

Weight loss is a skill set. It is problem solving over and over again. It is very complex, because our lives are complex. As noted above find a calorie deficit you can live with. You need enough enjoyment to get you past the parts you merely tolerate. Good luck.
  • Im at this point, add me if you want daily messages helps me feel accountable for my food intake!
  • dolezalovaeli
    dolezalovaeli Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I think just about the only thing that seems to work for me is portioning. I'm a recovering binge eater and I still struggle sometimes, but mostly when there's a bufet style food. I will eat whatever is in front of me so portioning is a big deal and I make sure that if I make more food than I should eat I put it out of sight.

One more thing that helped, I tried keto for 2 weeks. I have to admit that my appetite has significantly decreased after that but maybe that's just me.
  • CoueCoue
    CoueCoue Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Every single time you make a better choice is a step in the right direction.
    Every.
    Single.
    Time.

It adds up.

Whether that decision is to take the stairs rather than the lift, putting a handful of the pasta you were going to cook back into the packet, choosing the tomato based sauce with your fish at a restaurant rather than the cream-based or deciding to put on your gym clothes on Saturday morning when you were thinking of staying in bed. ESPECIALLY when it comes to overeating - every time you decide to minimise the impact vs. what your were originally GOING to do - you've won. Rather than a whole bar of chocolate, I will eat half. Instead of buying a Starbucks Pumpkin Latte, I'll have a skinny latte. I'll have a glass of water rather than a cookie and only if I still want one in an hour will I eat one.

Small improvements and every single one is a win.

It ALL goes into the pot. It ALL counts.

In the past I have been guilty of the all or nothing approach to losing weight. It means that I am actually pretty good at losing weight, but then, when I switch things off, it creeps back on and I feel all the feelings you have described.

But I think I have finally learned to appreciate the small wins which means that I can maintain my weight long term. And you know what...small wins are easier to achieve and more frequent which means that not only do you get to feel proud more often but with such regular decisionmaking, it becomes habit to make the right choice rather than needing willpower.

You can do this! Good luck!
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    jazmin220 wrote: »
    So I've gained back most of the weight I've lost. 40lbs to be exact. I feel like one day I have tons of willpower and confidence in myself, other days I go out and order multiple drinks appetizers and entrees. It's a rollercoaster for me and I'm sick of it. I can barely fit into my clothing and when I do I hate how I look.

For those who have failed countless times and have issues with overeating and bingeing, what is one solid piece of advice that has helped you get back up and stay up ?

Best thing I ever did was to reevaluate my goals and my approach to getting there. I was way too strict, way too all or nothing to ever be successful. Backing off, allowing some leeway, allowing some treats, increasing my calories and taking it a bit more slowly, and giving myself permission to be human and not perfect. These were the best things I've done.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    jazmin220 wrote: »
    other days I go out and order multiple drinks appetizers and entrees.

Well - you're not going to be able to do that anymore, if you want to stay in a deficit, lose weight, and then keep the weight off. Or at least you aren't going to be able to do it in the same way, with the same frequency.

There is not ever going to be a time in your life when you will be able to eat the way that made you gain weight in the past, and not gain weight. It's not a diet, it's a permanent condition of reality.

So what do you want to do? Going out and having drinks, appetizers, and entrees all the time sounds fun. Hating yourself and the way you look sounds terrible. Is it terrible enough to make it worth changing your old way of life?

Reality is math. Add up the calories from your nights out and figure out what you want to do about them. Do you want to go out and have a big blow out once a month, averaging that with your deficit the rest of the time? Do you want to have less indulgent nights out more frequently? Could you have higher quality nights out, less often - maybe instead of a steakhouse with okay food go to a gourmet restaurant with delicious food half as often? Do you want to substitute fun activities which don't involve food? Maybe you would like to go out dancing, or to the theater, instead of to a restaurant?

Try to figure out the math. You need to have a certain amount of fun in your life and you need to have a certain number of calories in your life. Once you have your math, plan ahead how to stick to it. No one has any willpower after two drinks. It's also very hard to go to a familiar place and not do the same thing you always do there. But you can change the places you go. I changed the way I drive home so I wouldn't be tempted to stop at the corner for junk food. What you don't do is do the same thing you have always done in the past and then act all surprised when your "willpower failed."
  • melsoliz04
    melsoliz04 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    It isn't all about will power it does help a little. I live a very busy life and I don't get to plan my meals ahead of time and my family doesn't like what I like. I have gone up and down on my weight for the past 11 years. I'm at my biggest right now and I'm okay with it. You need to love you the way you are so that you can make your self into a better healthier person. I love food and I love to cook and bake. I still do all of that but now I do my best to not over indulge. It's very hard not to do it but it can be done. If want to live a long life either for yourself or your family you need to watch what and how much you eat. Good luck and God bless