The Dukan Diet

Options
Hey guys.. has anyone tried the Dukan Diet. Was it difficult to do and how much weight did you lose?

Replies

• ttheriot
    ttheriot Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I haven't yet, but am reading the book, and will start on Monday! If you decide to do it too, and you want to share, let me know how you're doing. Good Luck!
  • jamaicaqueen24
    jamaicaqueen24 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I will start the diet on monday as well.
  • Jenny2011
    Jenny2011 Posts: 30
    Options
    Planning on getting the book today - I hear it is an awesome way to lose - I hope so!!!
  • sphc
    sphc Posts: 4
    Options
    I did the first phase only and lost 5 pounds. Haven't gained them back.
  • microem1
    microem1 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I started the Dukan diet today!

Bit backwards - I've ordered the book but it hasn't arrived so I haven't actually read it yet, couldn't resist starting though as I'm eager to loose a few pounds before my holiday !

I found today quite easy, I haven't really felt that hungry but it has been weird just eating protein! I think I will prob get bored if I don't find new ideas quicky!
  • ttheriot
    ttheriot Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I started the Dukan yesterday also! So far, I've lost 3 pounds! 3 pounds in one day! Yes, it's water, but at least it's in the right direction! It wasn't difficult for me either, just very odd to have only protein. I hope I can stick to it! Good luck to you!
  • glypta
    glypta Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I've been doing it for almost 6 weeks and have lost a stone. Am now at goal, so didn't have much to go and my body clings to fat, hating to part with it. It's the easiest thing I've ever done, and it's great as I'm a carb-addict, so elimination of 'em works best for me! Can't recommend it highly enough! Not for everyone of course, low carb is hard, but I love it. Check my diary/add me if you want more info.
  • Jenny2011
    Jenny2011 Posts: 30
    Options
    Well I have decided to start tomorrow - I went and fed on fattening garbage today (posing) - I did start walking again though so I am looking forward to getting on board with the eating part of the plan - so the plan for tomorrow is eggs for breakfast and cold meat for lunch - not sure what to have for dinner yet - will keep you all posted!
  • jamaicaqueen24
    jamaicaqueen24 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I started yesterday but did not want to weigh till I complete my 4 days of pure protein. I'm still reading the book, but have the jist of how the diet works. Hope all is well. Let's check in by weeks end.:smile:
  • microem1
    Options
    Hiya,

Thought I'd give you all an update!

I completed 6 days of the attack phase and lost 5.5 pounds in total which I was amazed with considering the book didn't arrive in time and I didn't realise I was meant to be doind 20 mins of walking each day (I didn't do any excersice as I thought I'd let my body adjust to the different food first).

Then I went on my first cruise day yesterday, which wasn't actually as satisfying as I thought it would be, just veg and salad added to the food I'm already bored of lol!

I weighed myself this morning and shock horror I've put 1.5 pounds straight back on, GREAT! lol

Has this happened to anyone else? I hope everyone elses attempts are going well? xXx
  • glypta
    glypta Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Yep, happened to me. Stick with it - it, and more, will be off next week (long's you stick at it!). :smile:
  • LozCounsell
    Options
    Quick question to all you Dukan Dieters out there- what are the chances of being able to follow it if you're vegetarian?

Thanks!

Loz
  • CatClark
    CatClark Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Yup, I'm veggie and I've done it before :)

Stick to lots of low fat yoghurt, quark, egg whites, cottage cheese, Quorn products etc and you'll be fine in the attach phase.
  • ljbhill
    ljbhill Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I did it but did not enjoy it, one bit. Yes, it is successful in reagrds to weigh loss but it warped my relationship with food beyond recognition. It took me ages to get back into normal eating patterns. I like being able to have a nice lunch with friends or have a picnic with my partner. I enjoy food. When I did the Dukan, I would literally cringe when it was meal time. It made me not want to eat.
  • microem1
    Options
    I like being able to have a nice lunch with friends or have a picnic with my partner. I enjoy food. When I did the Dukan, I would literally cringe when it was meal time. It made me not want to eat.

I know exactly where you're coming from - yesterday was my first cruise day which enabled me to take advantage of salad and veggies again. A friend was visiting so we went out for pub lunch and out of the entire menu I could only choose the chicken and bacon salad and even with that I had to make sure I picked out any fatty bits of bacon!

I have two celebrations this week, so I don't know how I'm going to keep this up until september lol!!
  • apmemo
    apmemo Posts: 43
    Options
    Quick question to all you Dukan Dieters out there- what are the chances of being able to follow it if you're vegetarian?

Thanks!

Loz

I'm a vegetarian and I've been on it for six weeks and lost more than I originally planned. I am half way through consolidation and have added bread, fruit, and real cheese, and several "celebration" meals and have not gained any of it back. I did add whey protein powder and unsweeetened plain almond milk to give me some more options, and didn't have any problems.
  • tyadrake
    tyadrake Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I googled this diet and this is what I found:

The Dukan Diet: What the Experts Say

You'll certainly lose weight on The Dukan Diet because it cuts calories drastically. The lack of carbs also helps keep hunger at bay. But the bottom line, experts say, is that this eating plan does not include all the nutrients you need for good health.

"A once-daily multivitamin will not compensate for the nutritional goodness from fruits, whole grains and healthy fats that are inadequate in The Dukan Diet," says Keri Gans, MS, RD, a spokesperson for the American Dietetic Association.

She points out the health hazards of restrictive dieting. “When dieters start losing weight rapidly, I worry they will continue the restrictive phases longer than advised -- which puts them at risk for nutrient deficiencies and kidney problems," says Gans.

Losing more than 1-2 pounds per week can promote gallstones and muscle loss, she says: "It is unhealthy to lose weight so quickly because you not only lose fat and fluids but precious muscle mass, which is really hard to replace, especially as you get older."

Constipation, bad breath, dry mouth, and fatigue should be a red flag that this is not a healthy diet, she says.

"Your body’s preferred fuel to energize and keep you going is smart carbs, and when you eat a healthy diet you should feel great -- not have negative side effects," Gans says.

The Dukan Diet: Food for Thought

There is no question this very restrictive diet will lead to weight loss, if you can actually follow it. But the elimination of healthy food groups, and the unpleasant side effects, makes The Dukan Diet an unlikely choice for the long haul.

Protein is an essential part of a healthy diet, but it cannot stand alone. A truly healthy diet includes all the food groups -- vegetables, fruits, whole grains, and low-fat dairy and healthy fats along with lean protein. Your body needs the nutrients these foods provide.

Skip this fad diet. Instead, choose a calorie-controlled eating plan that you can stick with for the long term.

Kathleen Zelman, MPH, RD, is director of nutrition for WebMD. Her opinions and conclusions are her own.
  • microem1
    Options
    You'll certainly lose weight on The Dukan Diet because it cuts calories drastically.
    I actually usually eat more calories now i'm on the dukan diet, so I guess it depends how much you usually eat!
    A once-daily multivitamin will not compensate for the nutritional goodness from fruits, whole grains and healthy fats that are inadequate in The Dukan Diet.
    I'm hoping this won't effect me too much as I should have reached my goal weight within 3 weeks of doing this diet and have been taking suppliments and drinking loads of water. Shouldn't be long before I re-introduce all the other foods anyway!
    "It is unhealthy to lose weight so quickly because you not only lose fat and fluids but precious muscle mass".
    I'm hoping upping your water intake and exercising each day like the diet tells you to will hopefully prevent alot of this!
    Constipation, bad breath, dry mouth, and fatigue should be a red flag that this is not a healthy diet.
    I haven't suffered any of these side effects yet!
    A truly healthy diet includes all the food groups -- vegetables, fruits, whole grains, and low-fat dairy and healthy fats along with lean protein. Your body needs the nutrients these foods provide.
    Totally agree, but as I said before It should only last a couple of weeks all together in my case and then I'll be eating all the food groups again anyway!

So people how is everyone actually getting on? I've just woke up on day 13 and have lost 7.5 pounds altogether now woo hoo!! Really looking forward to a big bit of steak tonight with garlic mushrooms and veggies tonigt too! :oD Hope your all managing to stick at it! xXx