Weight lifting alternative

Options
aneary1980
aneary1980 Posts: 461 Member
edited September 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
I lost a lot of weight previously by doing high intensity weight lifting three times a week and a couple of 5k runs a week. This was with a high protein low carb diet.

Fast forward 18 months I've slipped a disc then had it removed and added 3st.

I've been told that running will be possible in time but it's highly likely that I won't be able to lift weights again. I loved how my body was whilst lifting what are the alternatives?

Replies

• Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    Are you able to do body weight exercises? Yoga?
  • aneary1980
    Options
    I've been advised against yoga but Pilates is recommended.
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    I was going to suggest Pilates.....
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Can you do other forms or resistance training such as bands or TRX?
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Most strength machines in gyms don't involve the torso much.

Check with your doctor before following internet advice.
    aneary1980 wrote: »
    I lost a lot of weight previously by doing high intensity weight lifting three times a week and a couple of 5k runs a week.

Actually you lost it from consuming fewer calories than you burned. Just saying. :+1:
  • timtam163
    timtam163 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Will you be able to do HIIT in time? Biking? Anything that focuses on lower body?

Some people manage to stay perfectly fit and healthy walking and doing very light weights as well; maybe taking down the intensity will work for you.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Leg press is a great alternative to squatting if you don't want your spine to enter into the equation
  • aneary1980
    Options
    I used to lift 420lbs on a leg press. The doctor has said this is now out of the question.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    Are there some strength training exercises you can do with resistance bands and dumbbells/kettleballs? These can be low impact and targeted away from problem areas.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    Are you doing PT? If not, that is probably a good place to start for suggestions that are going to work for your particular limitations. Certainly ask if you can use weight machines instead of doing free weights--that is a typical restriction for back injuries.

Do you swim? Certainly not a replacement for lifting, but it is a good place to start in recovering from many injuries.

Good luck to you!
  • aneary1980
    Options
    Kettlebells are terrible for people with back injuries I didn't do them before my last injury.

I've had PTs before with weights they were really good but it was an expensive gym unfortunately I've moved and I have no faith in PTs in normal gyms. They tend to go through the same routine a bit of cardio and some light weights.

I'm guessing there isn't much that will match up to weight lifting.
  • Heather4448
    Heather4448 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    PT- Physical therapy (not personal trainer)

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    Have your doctor refer you to a physical therapist and ask these questions of him/her.
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    Yes a physical therapist, I am wondering if the term is the same as a physiotherapist?? I refer clients all the time to a physio, and that is who the docs here would refer people to. They will be able to completely understand your surgery, recovery, know where to start as far as training and know how to progress you slowly and safely. For sure your best bet!!
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I was going to say Pilates or some variation. Have you asked your dr for recommendations
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Speak to the physician treating this condition to find out what is safe. Forum junkies are not doctors.