new member with a lot to lose

Options
i'm lisa and i'm brand new here. i've got 150 to lose and i'm hoping to find friends and support. i'm 46 and have been overweight most of my life. i've lost most of it several different times over the years. i do know how to eat well and exercise...but here i am again.

i am sadly very sedentary and extremely out of shape making normal daily tasks difficult and painful. i'm in a cycle of 'depression' causing the weight and the weight (and inability to do things) causing more 'depression'. i quote the word depression because i am not clinically depressed where a medication might help (i've tried them all over the years)...but whatever i have, it mimics depression symptoms.

i'm guessing i weigh between 280 and 300. last dr visit i think i was 289? i don't have a scale, i guess i should buy one. i've got type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure, high triglycerides and anxiety that manifests through heart palpatations. i'm also trying to stop smoking.

i want to make a permanent lifestyle change of diet and exercise to finally be that healthier, happier person that lives inside of me. i want to lose this weight that is my prison and gain a life worth living.

i've also just started a tumblr blog, witstar.tumblr.com, to post inspiration and motivation for myself and hopefully find and follow others that post inspiring and motivating things about getting healthy as well.

please feel free to add me here, or on tumblr, or both!

Replies

• abbie017
    abbie017 Posts: 410
    Options
    Welcome! Congratulations on taking the first step to changing your life! You will find incredible support on this site, and lots of people willing to help you as you make such big changes! You can do this! You deserve to be happy, and best of luck reaching your goals! I've added you as a friend! :)
  • tobybear
    tobybear Posts: 109
    Options
    You came to the right place. Do you have any Walking tapes? I use Leslie Sansone's tapes, she has plenty of walking tapes and they are worth the money. Just take your time and it will help. Start out a few minutes a day and build up, don't worry if you can't do it all the first or second or more times just add a little each time and you will be surprised at the results. You can add me as a friend if you want. Take care and it will happen.
  • kepete
    kepete Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    You recognize it and now are taking action. Good for you!
  • Mkin
    Mkin Posts: 43
    Options
    Congrats on making it onto this site!! It is awesome and full of friendly supportive people, I also have a lot of weight to lose!!

I will send you a friend request and we can do this together =)
  • sugarbugger
    Options
    Hi, I'm about the same weight as you, with just as much to lose (if not more, I'm only short) sorry about your medical issues but hopefully you can use them to motivate your weightloss further, I've seen many people with type 2 diabetes on here who say that after they'd lost some weight they no longer needed any meds for it. The depression can only improve as you move more and you feel better about yourself. I wish you all the best on your weightloss journey, add me as a friend if you like!
  • Papillon22
    Papillon22 Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I have found this place incredibly supportive, full of wonderful people who are all striving for the same. I think you're in the right place.

You can do this, one step at a time. Just browse through the success stories threads and you'll see.
    Good luck!
  • curiousmissclay
    Options
    You should be proud that you have decided to change things in your life and the support you get from this site is incredible my advice is make friends on here support other people and they will do the same for you and dont be ashamed to ask for help wiether thats from your doctor or family.
    my mum was diagnosed with diabetes and she had to loose a significent amount of weight and she now has dorment diabetes that doesnt need treatment.
  • 1Kimbeelina
    Options
    taking the first step is always a difficulty but you have done it and talked about it so I'm happy to tell you..."you can do it girl!!!"
    every day is another step:) kim
  • Krazymomofthree
    Options
    Congratulations on your new beginning!! Believe in yourself!!! You can do it and you are worth it!!

I would recommend looking to the "higher power" of whatever religion you are. It is an awesome source of inner strength.

Feel free to add me if you wish.
  • Kimmer2011
    Kimmer2011 Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Friend me! I could have written about 3/4 of that post--I get where you are.
  • mollybeslimmer
    mollybeslimmer Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    welcome !!
    You've taken the right steps and that is the best thing.
    don't look back-move forward-baby steps...
  • witstar
    witstar Posts: 25
    Options
    ty all so much for the replies!

i am sitting here with tears streaming down my cheeks. so emotional. realizing how alone i have felt. how locked away. always thinking about taking action...and never truly taking action. always thinking, yes..i have to do something about this...and just. not. doing. it. wanting to talk about it til i'm blue in the face...and having no one to talk with.

getting your supportive and understanding replies just went right to my heart and my emotional tears feel so very good.

i am so very glad i found this site!

sending everyone love xoxo